SearchCap: The Day In Search, January 27, 2010
From Search Engine Land:
- Finally! Yahoo Search Weather Report : January 2010
The Yahoo Search Blog dusts itself off to announce a search update happening right now. The last “weather report” Yahoo announced was in September 2009 – typically, Yahoo would announce these updates monthly.
We actually expected this to be announced. I was tracking a WebmasterWorld thread where SEOs were noticing ranking changes at Yahoo [...]
- Google Social Search Goes Live, Adds New Features
Google has begun the rollout of its Social Search product, a way of seeing customized search results based upon the people in your social network. Social Search has been an opt-in Google Labs experiment since its debut in October, but will be available as a beta product in the “next few days” to all users [...]
- Yahoo Gains “Default” Search Deal With Ubuntu
One small search victory for Yahoo: a new default search deal with Ubuntu, the free Linux-based operating system. According to Ars Technica:
Canonical, the company behind the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution, revealed today that it has established a revenue sharing agreement with Yahoo. As part of the deal, the Firefox Web browser that is shipped in [...]
- AT&T Planning To Launch Yelp-Like Site Buzz.com
Forbes covers AT&T’s forthcoming local recommendations site Buzz.com. It aims to be a place where people can get and share recommendations about local businesses. Despite my headline and that of the Forbes article it’s not going to be a reviews and social networking site like Yelp. Rather it may be more analogous to AlikeList or [...]
- 6 Common Mistakes In B2B PPC Advertising
B2B marketers often preach about how B2B marketing is unique, and that advertising to businesses is very different from consumer focused advertising. And while there is truth in that argument, B2B marketers should be wary that leaning on their “uniqueness” too heavily can adversely impact their PPC campaigns.
Granted, there are a number of ways in [...]
- The 2010 In-House SEM To-Do List
While it may feel like 2010 is already whizzing by, now is a good time to take a step back and think about the big to-do list items for in-house search marketers this year. We’ve all got a list of million little search optimizations that need doing, but here are some larger tactics to think [...]
- Conversion Optimization Is The New SEO
Thomas Edison said that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. As we begin a new decade in search, we face a parallel truism: great search marketing is 1% about getting the click and 99% about what you do next.
Starting here in 2010, conversion optimization is the new SEO.
To be sure, SEO is still important [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google Fixes Toolbar Privacy Flaw (fixed available today), Donna’s SecurityFlash
- Nine years later does Google still need ‘adult supervision?’, ZDNet
Paid Search & Contextual
- v2009 Hack Day Video Preview, AdWords API Blog
- Bing on iPhone – Microsoft’s Ultimate Mobile Coup?, Chitika Research
- Olympic Data in Wolfram|Alpha: Let the Games Begin, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Public Speaking in the Internet Marketing Industry, Search Engine Journal
- Where Did Bing’s Webmaster Support Rep Go? Brett Yount, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Content Marketing Tips To Achieve SEO and Social Media Success, Online Marketing Blog
- Duplicate Content Between HTML & PDF Pages? Google Should Figure It Out, Search Engine Roundtable
- Remove Pages From Google ~Forever Using a 410 Status Code, Search Engine Roundtable
- The Secret Formula for Writing Mesmerizing Headlines, Search Engine Journal
- Facebook Email Reply Security Hole?, thenextweb.com
- The Maturation of Social Media ROI, mashable.com
- 5 Ingredients For Going Viral (Or Catching A Cold), outspokenmedia.com
- Facebook Pages Now Accessible Via RSS, All Facebook
Video, Music & Image Search
- Live Tonight on YouTube: The State of the Union, YouTube Blog
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.