Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 1, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Takes On Travel Sites, Courts FTC Action With ITA Acquisition
Google has signed an agreement to acquire travel reservations software company ITA. The purchase price is reportedly about $700 million. We speculated about this and the likely travel industry and potential regulatory fallout earlier this week.
Here’s the site put up by Google to promote the deal and answer questions.
Google knows it’s girding for a fight […]
- Google Blasted By Mother Of Naked Boy On Google Maps
The Manchester Evening News reported that a UK mother was incredibly upset with Google after finding her 3-year-old son naked on Street View imagery within Google Maps.
The image has been removed, but when it was there, the license plate and faces were blurred out, but not the little boy. An hour after Google was […]
- Google Shows Webmasters More Links In Webmaster Tools
If you look at your link report in Google Webmaster Tools you may notice that Google is telling you have more links than you had the last time you looked. In fact, some are reporting they are seeing millions of additional links.
At first, I thought that this may be some reporting bug. But […]
- Do Small Businesses Need A Website?
Attaining a much-coveted spot on the Google 7-pack can be tough, especially for competitive keywords and in major cities. Business owners are advised to build an effective website and optimize it as one of the crucial factors in obtaining a better ranking. The common assumption today is that without a website, most businesses will have […]
- AdWords Cloaks Its Help Pages, Gets Banned By Google
Search for [google adwords help] or [adwords help] this morning on Google and the AdWords help center is nowhere to be found. Search for the URL itself, and it doesn’t appear to be in the index.
What’s going on?
The Polish blog Magiczne SEO i SEM noticed yesterday that the snippet for the Google Adwords help page […]
- Yahoo Offers Android Search Widget, HTML5 Upgrades For iOS
Though late to the Android party Yahoo has released Search, Mail and Messenger for Android. I downloaded Mail and Messenger — by using a 2d barcode scanner in my EVO off my iPad screen — but was unable to open Search to test-drive it before writing this. (See postscript below.) Yahoo has also improved its […]
- Yahoo Can Now Buy Back $3 Billion Of Stock
BusinessInsider reports Yahoo’s latest SEC filing announces they can now buy back $3 billion in stock over the next three years.
The Yahoo Board approved the repurchase program allowing the $3 billion in buy backs. The transactions can occur either on the open market or in privately negotiated transactions.
Some are questioning if Yahoo […]
- PPC Academy: A Midyear Recap
Well, the first half of this one-year search advertising course is in the books!
This column was an idea that I hatched, and thankfully, SearchEngineLand.com’s executive editor, Chris Sherman had also been thinking about something similar, so the timing at the end of last year couldn’t have been better. So far, it’s been a […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Bends Over Backwards to Beat Microsoft (GOOG), fool.com
- Survey Time: Google Wants Your Opinions Re: Google Books, ResourceShelf
- The News Corp. Paywall Begins to Rise Tomorrow with The Times & Sunday Times, ResourceShelf
- Tips & Tricks: Using Images in Google documents, Official Google Docs Blog
- AOL Shines-Up Mapquest For Sale, Business Insider
- Standing up for the First Amendment with 1 for All, Official Google Blog
Local, Maps & Mobile
- 23 Link Building News, How-To’s and Tools (6/25-7/1): the "Death to Disruptive Links" Edition, Ontolo
- Boy Do I Love Linkbuilding – And You Should Too, SEOmoz
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google Tools To Help You Optimize Your PPC Campaigns, PPC Hero
- Discover v2009: Working with AuthTokens, AdWords API Blog
- The Broad Match Modifier and the API, AdWords API Blog
- Online Database: ud.com namecheck (Single Search Interface for Usernames, Domain Names and Brand Trademarks), ResourceShelf
- Celebrating Pride 2010, Official Google Blog
- Google Drops AdWords Professionals Label In Help Forum, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Google Confusing 301 Redirects?, Search Engine Roundtable
- I Listened to Google and I Failed, Michael Gray
- Optimizing Local Search, Search Engine Journal
- The Dos and Don’ts of Multilingual SEO, SEO Aware
- The Magic of the Meta Description Tag, outspokenmedia.com
- Foursquare Puts Money Before Privacy, Wired
- We wanted to update you on recent improvements…, foursquare
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google launches Korean Voice Search, Official Google Research Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site: