Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 10, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Adds Photos To Some Location-Based Search Results
Google has announced a minor change to its search results page for some geographic-based queries. To fill in the white space that used to appear next to the small map, Google is now pulling in user-contributed photos from its Panoramio photo-sharing site. (Marketers: This is another reason to start using Panoramio if you’re not already.)
- Are You Helping Facebook Outrank You For Your Brand Name?
Facebook allows you to embed fan pages on your own site, which might result in Facebook outranking you for your own brand name. For example, the Search Engine Land fan page has a link for me to “add a fan box to your site.” If you look at the code of that widget, […]
- Search In Pictures: Yahoo Flight Attendants, Google Street View Fleet & Darth Vader
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more.
- Google’s New Report Offensive Images Feature
If you go to Google Images and search on a keyword, and then click on new SafeSearch filter drop down (might only work on a PC), you will see a new way of reporting offensive images. A drop down lets you select, “report offensive images.” Here is a picture:
When you click it, the […]
- Google Expands Mobile Product Search & Adds Suggestions
Google has announced they have expanded Google Product Search for mobile to both Palm Pre and any mobile device with an internet connection based in the US, UK, Germany and South Korea.
To access Google Product Search on your mobile device, just visit google.com and click on shopping or go directly to www.google.com/m/products.
Google also added Google […]
- Google’s Founders & CEO Didn’t See Eye To Eye On Chrome
The Wall Street Journal reports that Google’s founders and CEO didn’t see eye to eye on building out the Chrome browser or OS, at least, not initially.
Eric Schmidt, Google’s CEO, said that initially when Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google’s co-founders, brought the idea of building a browser or operating system to him six […]
- Search is a Darwinian Game
In my last Just Behave, I talked about how the vast majority of search engine users never go beyond the vanilla functionality of a search engine. They skip along the surface of search, never diving deep into advanced queries, filters or clicking on the tabs and links behind which lies some truly impressive capabilities. This […]
- How To: Excel At Excel For SEM Applications, Part 4
I hope the previous post of this series (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) have served you well. My goal was never to create an Excel manual for everyone, but rather to highlight specific tips and tricks to help out the search engine marketer who is toiling away in the tool hours every day.
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Translates Documents, Google Operating System
- It’s now easier to share more with your connections!, www.yprofileblog.com
- Google Operating System Raises Antitrust Issues, New York Times
- Bing Leapfrogs Yahoo Search … Again, TechCrunch
- Google CEO to discuss his role on Apple’s board, Reuters
- Microsoft VP says Google’s playing defense with Chrome OS, VentureBeat
- Ninth Lawsuit Against Google Over AdWords–Rosetta Stone v. Google, Eric Goldman
- The long term plans for Google world domination, Pandia
- Wired Campus: U. of Wisconsin, U. of Texas Expand Their Agreements With Google, Chronicle.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Hello, Android – What Is a ‘T-Mobile MyTouch 3G with Google’ Launch Without Google? A T-Mobile Launch, Google Watch
Paid Search & Contextual
- New Interface Thursday: Introducing spreadsheet editing, Inside AdWords
- Speeding up: Increasing your revenue potential, Inside AdSense
- How to steer clear of money scams, Official Google Blog
- Can Someone Else’s Search History Show Up In Your Google History?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Showing UK Users UK News Only, Search Engine Roundtable
- Is Google Deliberately Sabotaging Bing’s Search Listing?, Marketing Pilgrim
- Which is more reliable for searching: Google or Twitter?, YouTube
SEO & SEM
- 33 Mobile SEO & Mobile Analytics Resources, SEOptimise
- Finding Your Visitors: The Geotargeting Manual for Dummies, Search Engine People
- Fnar Fnar! When Keywords have more than one meaning in a PPC campaign, Site Visibility
- Synonyms Instead of Stuffing, SEO.com
- Facebook? Up 10%. Twitter? Up 16%. FriendFeed? Flat, scobleizer.com
- Since When Are Blogs Not Social Media?, www.copyblogger.com
- Tumblr Launches Submissions Allowing Readers to Submit Content, CenterNetworks
- Google Commemorates Nikola Tesla’s Birthday, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- It’s the keywords, stupid
- Some Misconceptions Regarding Black Hat SEO
- What is the next Twitter?
- The International Link Building Guide
- No Precedence For Social Media – Amazon Hangs Us Out To Dry