SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 10, 2012
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- It’s Not WHAT You Need to Go Viral – It’s WHO
Everyone dreams of going viral. Think of the traffic! The links! The search signal boosts, the audience growth, the brand awareness! It’s true: going viral does wonders for both search and social. I’ve already written about what makes content go viral, but we too rarely consider the who – the users who make content go [...]
- Advertisers Receiving Settlement Payments From Google AdWords
In the mail today I received a check for $25.05 from the Hanson vs Google AdWords settlement. In fact, there are hundreds of Google advertisers receiving checks this week. The settlement was reached in 2009 for $20 million due to exceeding the daily budget within the AdWords system. After a few years, the lawyers have [...]
- How Pandas & Penguins Change Your Link Building Strategy
Who would have thought that two seemingly innocent zoo animals could cause such an uproar in the SEO industry? You’re probably tired of hearing about Panda and Penguin. I don’t blame you. Articles seem to pop up daily about how it affects your site and what you can do to recover from the algorithm updates [...]
- Is International SEO Really That Different From “National” SEO?
Usually, when I’m asked if “international” search or SEO is really different, the person asking the question has made up their mind that it’s actually not. Usually, they have a view that international SEO is all about infrastructure, domains and local domains and not much else. But is this true? You’ll probably not expect me, [...]
- Wolfram Alpha To Power Samsung’s Version Of Siri
Wolfram Alpha currently helps answer some questions via Apple’s Voice Search, Siri. Now Wolfram Alpha announced they have partnered with Samsung to power some searches on some Samsung devices. The GALAXY S III and GALAXY Note will now include the Wolfram|Alpha knowledge base with S Voice and S Note applications. Users have to tap the [...]
- How To Create Content When You’d Rather Be Doing Something Else
It’s summer. Do you really want to be reading 5 tips for barbecuing Pandas or an infographic on 7 ways to club a Penguin? Wouldn’t you rather be drinking a glass of wine while nibbling on cured meats, local cheeses and a nice piece of fruit? Of course you would! Va bene. But those damn [...]
- SMX East Agenda Launched! Join Us Oct. 2-4 in NYC – Register Today, Save $400
Attend SMX East and get expert insights and real-world-proven tactics that yield results instantly. The multi-track agenda, developed by the editorial team of Search Engine Land, includes over 50 sessions on SEO, PPC, local/mobile search, social media marketing and more. Register today and save $400 off your All Access pass. More info at http://smxeast.com.
- Search Marketer Ron Jones Passes Away
Internet and search marketer Ron Jones has passed away after a battle with melanoma over the past several months. Jones was the founder and owner of Symetri Corporation, where a notice of his death has now been posted. SEMPO, the search marketing group that Jones was a board member with from 2008 through 2010, including [...]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- If The AFA Boycotts Google Over Gay Rights, Will It Remove Itself From Google?
- Review: Official Google+ App Launched For iPad
- Facebook’s Grip On The Web: 22 Percent Of Pages Link There, 8 Percent Use Open Graph [STUDY]
- How Your Content Strategy Is Critical For Reputation Management
- Report: Google To Pay Massive $22.5 Million “Cookiegate” Fine
- SMX East Agenda Now Available – Super Early Bird Rates Expire Soon!
- Survey: Facebook Ads Purchased Mainly For Awareness, Not Leads
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Claire Long Joins Covario as CFO and COO, Covario
- Eric Schmidt: The Great Firewall of China will fall, The Cable
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Maps Send To Garmin Device Not Working, Search Engine Roundtable
- If The Link Does Not Help With Google Is It Worth Your Time?, SEO Theory
- The 5 Worst Ways You Can Link Build (And Some Better Alternatives), Search Engine People
- Study of ~1.3 Billion URLs: ~22% of Web Pages Reference Facebook, Zyxt Labs, Inc
- Is it possible to quit Google?, BBC News
- State of Search Wins Best European Search Blog!, State of Search
SEO & SEM
- More Google Shopping news: Comparison Shopping Engines are in the mix!, csestrategies.com
- B2B SEO Competitive Analysis: 7 Critical Tools of the Trade, komarketingassociates.com
- Confirmed: Google Penalties for User-Generated Spam, seobraintrust.com
- Examining the paid search impact of the Microsoft Yahoo Search Alliance, Econsultancy
- Google SEO: How Much Unique Content Do You Need To Make A Page Different?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Sage Advice and the Devil in the Details, adCenter Blog
- SEO for Business Using Google Local: Interview with David Mihm – Podcast Episode #173, Site Visibility
- Should We Bid on Branded Keywords with Paid Search?, Fish Tank Media Blog
- Types of Content: How it Can Impact Your SEO, Vertical Measures
- What Is Going On In The SERPs?, SEO.com
- Why Is Google Penalizing My Exact Match Keywords?, Search Engine Journal
- Tell Me Three Times: A 3-Pronged PPC Balance System, Search Engine Watch
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.