SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 17, 2012
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Firefox 14 Now Encrypts Google Searches, But Search Terms Still Will “Leak” Out
Firefox 14 has officially launched today, which means all Google searches are encrypted by default. However, due to a Google loophole, the encryption will not prevent things you search for from “leaking” out to Google’s advertisers nor potentially showing up as search suggestions or in data reported to web sites through Google Webmaster Central. The Firefox [...]
- Free Things & Stupid People Help Us Win The Internet
I read a lot. If you ever happen to see me riding the train to work, or waiting for something, you can be sure that I will have my head down, staring at my phone and scrolling through my reader to get the latest information and changes in the digital world. This is usually where [...]
- Tips For Cutting Down Overhead When Managing Multinational SEO
Handling established campaigns across multiple countries can quickly become a case of handling overwhelming quantities of data interspersed with never-ending menial jobs, preventing the SEO from developing their strategy to squeeze yet more value from their campaign ROI.
- Search Engine Satisfaction Dips Slightly; Google & Bing Effectively Tied
Look out, Google. In the annual American Customer Satisfaction Index for search engines, Bing has practically matched the search leader’s consumer satisfaction score for the second year in a row, with Ask.com not that far behind. Bing Barely Behind Google The scores look like this: Google: 82 points Bing: 81 points Ask.com: 80 points Yahoo: 78 points [...]
- Ironically, Search Might Be Less A Priority At Yahoo As Google’s Marissa Mayer Takes The Helm
Wow. Wow. Wow. That’s all that keeps running through my head as I digest the news that long-time Google executive Marissa Mayer is to take over as president and CEO of Yahoo. Smart move for Mayer. Smart move for Yahoo. And as I’ll explain more, perhaps a move that finally takes Yahoo out of the [...]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Yahoo Q2 2012 Revenues Flat
- Facebook’s New Business Site Emphasizes Education, Case Studies
- Better Browsing & Navigation Elements Added To Tweetdeck
- What Has Become Of The Search Guru?
- 7 Enemies Of Social Media Measurement
- Google+ Debuts With ACSI Consumer Satisfaction Score Well Above Facebook’s
- Mayer’s Appointment Brings Hopes For Stability In Yahoo CEO Role
- Poll: What Do You Think About Marissa Mayer Going To Yahoo?
- Google Reacts: Mayer ‘Whip-Smart’ & ‘A Tireless Champion Of Our Users’
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- 3 Charts That Show How Wikipedia Is Running Out of Admins, Atlantic
- Google patents Project Glass motion-based theft detection, locks up if it feels ‘unnatural’ movement, Engadget
- Dear Google, Please Clean Up Your Certified Partner Program, Cypress North
- Google Antitrust Probe Should Settle, EU Regulator Says, Bloomberg
- Levinsohn Unlikely to Stay at Yahoo, as Mayer Begins Her Talent Search, AllThingsD
- New Yahoo CEO Mayer is pregnant, CNN Money
- Thiel vs. Schmidt: The fireworks fly, Fortune Tech
Local, Maps & Mobile
- A New Version of MSN Offers is Coming Soon, Microsoft Advertising Blog
- Become an Antarctic explorer with panoramic imagery, Official Google Blog
- Blind Panic Over Links, V7N
- Google: When We Ignore Links, It Makes It Harder To Understand Your Site, Search Engine Roundtable
- Secret Link Value Factors, internetmarketingninjas.com
- No one uses…, 9to5Google
SEO & SEM
- Baidu Ranking Algorithm Updates, What This Means for Baidu SEO, Search Blog Asia
- Does Google Discount Sites With Affiliate Links?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Webmaster Tools Crawl Errors Adds Site Preview Overlays, Search Engine Roundtable
- How and Why to Use Social Signals on your Website, Vertical Measures
- Paid Search Clicks vs Organic Clicks In Google, Justin Davy
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.