SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 25, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Tech Celebs Most Followed On Google+ While “Real World” Rules On Twitter & Facebook
How do you measure the success of a social media site? One of several ways might be how “real world” celebrities gravitate to it. By that measure, Google+ still has a long way to go versus Twitter and Facebook, according to most followed lists. Below is a side-by-side of the top ten most followed accounts [...]
- Google Relaunches Boost As AdWords Express
Further consolidating the products (or at least their names) in the local and mobile space, Google has re-named Boost as AdWords Express, also stepping up marketing efforts and consolidating sign-up for Express and Google Places. “We’ve seen great success with the product, but we want to change the product name to better emphasize the ties [...]
- Report: Google Street View Collected Device Locations, Not Just WiFi Access Points
Google is likely to face more privacy-related challenges on the heels of news today that the company’s Street View vehicles have collected more than just the location of WiFi access points. According to a CNET article today, Google collected those WiFi access points along with the location of client devices including mobile phones and desktop [...]
- Digital Marketing Attribution – Insights and Advice: SMN Webcast Wednesday
How does online display advertising impact search marketing performance? How do these marketing channels interact? On Wednesday, July 27, at 1 PM EDT, our sister site, Search Marketing Now presents a live webcast, “Digital Marketing Attribution: How Marketers and Agencies Convert Insight to Actions.” Madan Bharadwai of Visual IQ will present several insights, while Adam [...]
- AdWords Click-To-Download Ads Now Accompanied By Icon
Click-to-download AdWords ads for mobile devices are getting more visually appealing. Google will now find the advertised application’s icon in the iTunes store or Android market and display it alongside the ad in search results. The new feature will automatically be applied whenever a click-to-download ad appears on a mobile device. Google announced its immediate [...]
- Google Study: PPC Ads Do NOT Cannibalize Your Organic Traffic
Though I’ve never met him personally, I admit to being a big Hal Varian fan. For those who don’t recognize the name, Dr. Varian is the Chief Economist at Google and like me, one of the oldest guys in his company. Over the past few years, he and his team of researchers have made my [...]
- Better Mobile Linkbuilding In 5 Easy Steps
You may have read in SEOMoz a few years ago that link building is unnecessary for mobile rankings. When it comes to smartphone search engine results, data suggests otherwise. When I took a random sample of 11 of the most popular mobile queries and examined the characteristics of the top 5 Google smartphone results for [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google Acquires Facial Recognition Software Company PittPatt, TechCrunch
- AOL Reshuffles Management, Wall Street Journal
- Bing Becomes a Costly Distraction for Microsoft, New York Times
- Google engineer Steve Lacey victim of Kirkland car wreck, GeekWire
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Places Missing Business Descriptions, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Places Work Around: We currently do not support the location, Mike Blumenthal
- Google Places: Integrating some of the great information that’s been buried, Mike Blumenthal
- More Detailed Thoughts on Google’s Place Page Shift, Mihmorandum
- WSJ, Kobo falling in line in Apple’s App Store, Google Books is out, 9to5mac.com
- Get Over Yourself And Give Me A Link (please), linkspiel.com
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google provides bank of images for Ad Builder, periscopix.co.uk
- Google Remarketing Data Benefiting Your Competitors?, Search Engine Roundtable
- U.S. Government Can Do Wage Garnishments On Your Google AdSense Earnings, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- 3 Practical AdWords Strategies for Mature PPC Campaigns, Search Engine People
- Will changing the code and layout of my pages while moving to new URLs affect their rankings?, YouTube
- Don’t waste time on Google penalty checker tools, seozen.com
- Ecommerce SEO tips for special offers and grouped products, Vertical Leap Blog
- Google Panda Algorithm Now Rolling Automatically?, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Committing to Your Blog Boosts SEO, Daily SEO Tip
- Mission ImposSERPble: Establishing Click-through Rates, SEOmoz
- Google Plus Deleting Accounts En Masse: No Clear Answers, ZDNet
- Facebook Glitch Revealed Thumbnails & Descriptions Of Friends’ Private Videos, TechCrunch
- LinkedIn Debuts Embeddable Job Application Tool For Companies, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Image Search Shows More Information About Photos, Google Operating System
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Get Over Yourself And Give Me A Link (please) – The always amazing Debra Mastaler tells us how she netted 131 incentivized links for low cost AND without using all those hip social media methods.
- No, Local SEO Isn’t Dead … But It Is a Wee Bit Harder – You probably know by now that Google launched a new-look Place Page yesterday. The major changes are a heavy emphasis on Google’s self-sourced reviews and the elimination of citations/references from displaying on Places Pages. Say what?!? No more citations on Place Pages? Yes … but don’t let anyone convince you that citations, or local SEO in general, are dead. Here’s why…
- How Google Might Rank Pages Based upon Usage Information – Interestingly, the patent application was filed on February 24th of this year, the same date that the first Google Panda update went into effect.
- 10 Ways to Beat Online Obscurity – Good article from Demian Farnworth on growing an audience in a very crowded social media/online marketing landscape.
- More Detailed Thoughts on Google’s Place Page Shift – David Mihm offers his analysis on the latest Google Local Search news.
- Google's Negative Ranking Factors – By now you've heard about SEOmoz's study of Google ranking factors, but what about negative ranking factors? Sure, positive factors such as the correlations between social media shares and higher rankingsearn a lot of attention – and they should.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.