SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 8, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Helps LeBron James Make His Decision On Live TV
Once again taking advantage of top trends in pop culture and social search, Bing.com is hoping to shoot and score a large number of new fans as a presenting sponsor of the widely anticipated press conference, titled “The Decision”, to be aired live on ESPN (tonite) Thursday, July 8, at 9 pm ET, where NBA [...]
- Bing Search Share Up 7% In June, Google Down 1%
At least according to the latest report from Experian Hitwise, that is. Google continues to hold 71.65% of search share, while Yahoo remained steady at 14%. Note: Data is based on four-week rolling periods (ending May 29, 2010 and June [...]
- Ask.com’s Founder Of Search Technology Leaves: Apostolos Gerasoulis
I just got word that the co-founder of Teoma, the search engine Ask.com acquired to power natural search, Apostolos Gerasoulis has left Ask.com. Apostolos Gerasoulis was the executive vice president of search technology for Ask.com.
If you look his Linkedin profile you will see his current position is no longer being at Ask.com. [...]
- Think You’re Ready For The Microsoft-Yahoo Search Alliance? Maybe Not
We’re only one month away from the first phase of the Microsoft—Yahoo search alliance. Are you ready? By now, there have been numerous opinions published on the upcoming alliance, but not much to set tactical expectations. Some experts such as Kevin Lee of Didit.com and Bryan Weiner of 360i would claim that there won’t be [...]
- Foursquare Will Make It Easier To Find Small-Town Deals
If you’re using Foursquare to search for local offers and deals, you may soon find a lot more of them — especially if you live outside of major cities.
Foursquare announced yesterday that it’s going to expand the reach of deals/offers in rural areas:
The current location range for offers “nearby” is approximately 200 yards, but [...]
- How Can SEM Affect The SMB Purchase Funnel?
Could Search Engine Marketing (SEM) companies offer more to small businesses? Are the current SEM services in the market just part of a whole suite of initiatives that a small to medium enterprise (SME) needs to grasp to be successful online? What are those extra pieces of the jigsaw and how do they fit in [...]
- Living Content: It’s What People Want
Most web content is barely alive, even when it is first written. It is pumped out by content mills, optimized and uploaded. This kind of bulk content is often referred to as backfill content. I prefer the term “landfill content.” Dead and rotting from day one.
In sharp contrast, living content is quality content. It is [...]
- SEO Checklist Part 2: Best Practices
Continued from Part 1: 29 Worst Practices & Most Common SEO Failures.
Implementing the 14 best practices below (or at least some of them) and avoiding the worst practices should offer you a straightforward approach to better visibility in search engines, including Google, Yahoo!, and Bing.
Best Practice Doing now Will do soon Won’t or N/A
1. Are the keywords you [...]
- There Are 75 Million US Adults On The Mobile Internet, More Than Half Of Them Daily
At this point is there anyone who questions that the “mobile internet” has arrived? While marketers and many search marketers in particular are still “experimenting” with mobile, consumers are checking in, accessing social networks and searching on their handsets in stores.
A trio of new reports released in the past two days confirm the growing and [...]
- EU Upholds Ruling That Trademarks In Search Ads Do Not Infringe
EU Court Rules on Ad Keywords from the Wall Street Journal reports the the highest court in Europe upheld and confirmed a decision by a previous court that bidding on trademarked keywords in search engines does not infringe on European trademark law.
This specific case was between Portakabin, a cabin maker and a competitor, Primakabin. [...]
- 3-2-1: Launch! Uploading Your Paid Search Account
You’ve done the research. You’ve done the build. Now it’s time to launch!
Step #1: Get an engine account
If you don’t already have one, the first thing you’re going to need is an engine account. It’s fast and easy to sign up with any of the three major engine platforms via these pages:
- WATCH! Google Street View Camera Falls Off Car
Add this to the list of funny and interesting things that Google Street View cameras have recorded — a camera capturing its own demise.
I spotted one of Google’s Street View cars apparently losing its camera near where I live, in Suffern, New York. Everything’s fine as the car travels westbound on Haverstraw Road (you can [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Breaking: Facebook To Enter Into Partnership With Friendster Buyer MOL Global, TechCrunch
- Facebook Buys Travel Review Site Nextstop, paidContent.org
- German Court Sets Legal Parameters For People Search, TechCrunch
- Google increases stake in Chinese music company Top100.cn, Music Week
- Is Yahoo Dead? I Don’t Think So. Who Else With This Scale Can Be Neutral?, John Battelle’s Searchblog
- NexTag Buys Product Reviews Site Wize, paidContent.org
- Viacom acquires developer Social Express as MTV Networks dives into social games (exclusive), VentureBeat
- Yahoo CFO Aims to End Buy-High, Sell-Low Track Record on Deals, BusinessWeek
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Apple iPad User Analysis — Phase II, Y! Mobile Blog
- The New Age of Targeting: Real-time Location Marketing, blueglass.com
- 36 Link Building News, Views How-To’s: the "Link Building with Experts" Edition (v9 7/2-7/8), ontolo.com
- How to Conduct a Link Opportunity Inventory (Plus 9 Common Link Opportunity Types), Search Engine Watch
- Is it time to reassess your linking strategy?, Search Engine Guide
Paid Search & Contextual
- Facebook PPC: Finally, True Demographic Targeting! (Part 2), Search Engine Watch
- Google Fixed The AdSense Logout Bug?, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Effective is Advertising on Facebook – Some Numbers, Digital Inspiration
- Google Bug Serves "Redirect Notice" On Queries With Hashes, Search Engine Roundtable
- New study reveals 75 percent of Americans use the Internet and TV simultaneously, Yahoo! Advertising Blog
- Search Marketing Standard Magazine International Issues On The Way, Search Marketing Standard
- Video Game Day Logo : Our Best Yet, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Are PPCers a Dying Breed?, Search Engine Journal
- Don’t Fall Into the Trap of A/B Testing Minutiae, SEOmoz
- Flip Your Own Site, Will Hanke
- How does Google handle a page containing multiple languages?, YouTube
- How to Make Your Content Trusted Content, Search Engine Guide
- How to use SEO Ranking Factor Charts to Increase Your Rankings, Brad Geddes
- Mapping Anchor Text To Landing Pages, Search Engine People
- Online Conversation vs Links – Social Media Moves Towards SEO, White Hat Media blog
- SEO agency questions – Questions to ask a potential SEO provider, hugoguzman.com
- SEO Basics – Fresh Content vs. New Content, Online Marketing Blog
- The New Digg Is More Social But Less Unique, gigaom.com
- Matching Tactics to Goals Enables a Stronger Social Media Plan, Search Engine Guide
- Reality Check: Twitter’s Huge Search Query Numbers Are Very Inflated, businessinsider.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube Leanback offers effortless viewing, YouTube Blog
- Google Analytics for WordPress version 4, yoast.com
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Exclusive Insights – Bruce Clay Talks TopSEOs – I was going to write this article right after SMX Advanced, but instead of settling, the dust has actually kicked up big time but since this is a holiday weekend, I figured it’s time to write up the one on one conversation I had with Bruce Clay regarding TopSEOS, while up at SMX Advanced.
- Congrats to Our Sphinn Survey Winner! – Thank you to all who took our Sphinn Member Survey last month. We've just drawn the winner of a free pass to SMX East or West, and that winner is….
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.