Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 9, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Microsoft Lets You Bing Inside Your Hotmail
Microsoft has announced the addition of Bing searches to its Hotmail email service.
It works via Hotmail’s quick add feature and lets users search the web via Bing while composing an email, then put content found via Bing into the outgoing message.
To be clear, this isn’t a new feature. The feature debuted late last year when […]
- Hitwise: Bing Both Grows & Drops In June; Google Still Tops
Just in from Hitwise, the first month-to-month figures since the launch of Bing. And the figures show Bing has both gained and dropped in the same month. Confusing? Yes it is!
Here are the month-to-month figures, percentage of searches each search engine handled in the United States:
You can see that from May to June, Google’s up […]
- Google Expands ‘My Location’ On The Desktop, Tests Search Layers In Maps
Two pretty cool things coming out of Google Maps today: First, an official announcement that Google’s “My Location” feature is now available more widely on the desktop. Second, Google Operating System has discovered what looks like a test that lets users create “search layers” in Google Maps. More on that in a moment.
If you’ve used […]
- Google Adds Creative Commons Filter To Advanced Image Search
Google Operating System, like always, spots that Google has added the creative commons filter to the advanced image search page. In June, Google added the filter through advanced URL parameters, but now it is officially added to the advanced search page.
Here is a screen capture of the filter options, but you can learn […]
- What Is Real Time Search? Definitions & Players
There seems to be no end to companies saying they offer real time search these days. And no end to people quoting how Google itself says it wants to improve in the area. But what does real time search really mean? This article offers some definitions and focuses on players in the space.
- The Social Media Underground
Building links is a struggle we SEOs all face. Of the three pillars of SEO (content, architecture, and links), it’s the “link authority” pillar that i’s usually the weakest. Looking at sites individually, formulating your approach, sending personalized emails, picking up the phone to speak to the webmasters – it’s a lot of hard slog. […]
- Google OS Reactions: The Positive, Negative & The Paranoid
Late yesterday Google announced (or finally admitted) that it had developed an operating system, called Chrome OS, not to be confused, exactly, with the related Chrome browser. Everyone and their grandmother seems to have an opinion about it. Here’s a sampling of the reaction, positive, negative and in-between:
The fans, boosters and generally positive takes:
TechCrunch, BetaNews, […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google To Announce Major Identity Initiative for 1 Million Companies and Schools, Read/Write Web
- Tip: Recover your password via text message, Official Gmail Blog
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google News Mobile Now Defaulting To Desktop Version For Some, Search Engine Roundtable
- Take a ride with LA Metro in Google Transit, Google LatLong
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdWords system maintenance on July 11th, Inside AdWords
- Google’s AdSense for iPhone Trips up Advertisers, Ad Age
- Interest-based advertising: our materials for Capitol Hill, Google Public Policy Blog
- PPC Bid Management Misunderstanding #1: Manual Bidding vs Automation, Rimm Kaufman
- Bing, the Imitator, Often Goes Google One Better, New York Times
- Bing & Yahoo Can’t Tell Time in Tehran, Iran, Search Engine Roundtable
- Bing Comes To Hotmail, TechCrunch
- Most Annoying Google Search Results? Empty Answer Sites, Search Engine Roundtable
- ReadWriteWeb Interview With Tim Berners-Lee, Part 2: Search Engines, User Interfaces for Data, Wolfram Alpha, And More…, Read/Write Web
- Semanti: Enhanced Social Search Experience, Search Engine Journal
- Ask.com, Semantic Search & the SEO Industry – SEM Synergy Extras, BruceClay.com
- Introducing The Clickable Guru’s Guide To Better Search Marketing, Forums And Guru Contest (Video), Clickable
- SEO Company Caught By Client Using Google Support Forums, Search Engine Roundtable
- Some Misconceptions Regarding Black Hat SEO (Guestpost), Search Cowboys
SEO & SEM
- "Query deserves freshness." Fact or fiction?, YouTube
- Breaking Pages Apart: What Automatic Segmentation of Webpages Might Mean to Design and SEO, SEO By The Sea
- Do the Baidu, SEO.com
- Forget social media, SEO and PPC is where the money’s at, econsultancy.com
- Is Microsoft Bing Slow At Malware Reviews?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Facebook: Less Errors, More Connections Please, TechCrunch
- Twitter Gets In Your Face About Upgrading to Firefox 3.5, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- I Don’t Do Follow Friday Twitter Lists But If I Did…
- Google Pitches New Small Business Customers, Ignores Existing Ones
- Interview with Microsoft Bing’s Rajesh Srivastava, Principle Group Manager
- Does Social Media Need “Directing”?
- How to be Bold and Influence People
- In Tweet We Trust?
- Are You on an SEO Honeymoon?
- Why You Should Care About Link Spikes
- Evolve or Die? Amazon.com Chooses To Die
- 20 Business Lessons Learned From Monty Python
- Finding Duplicate Content with Free Tools