SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 25, 2013
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- AdWords “Remarketing Lists For Search Ads” Coming Out Of Beta
On the heels of releasing dynamic retargeting for retailers in AdWords, Google has announced it will be rolling out remarketing lists for search ads (RLSA) to all enhanced campaigns advertisers over the next few days. RLSA, which launched in beta last July, allows marketers to modify and tailor their search ads, bids, and keywords based on visitors’ past activity [...]
- FTC Updates Search Engine Ad Disclosure Guildelines After “Decline In Compliance”
In 2002, the US Federal Trade Commission issued landmark guidelines to search engines, to ensure they were make a clear distinction between their paid and unpaid listings. Now, the FTC has updated those guidelines, saying it has seen a “decline in compliance” since they were first issued. The FTC posted the news today on its [...]
- Google Update Underway: But For Payday Or Panda?
There appears to be an update underway, one that will be rolling out over a “multi-week” timeframe according to Google’s head of search spam, Matt Cutts. The update was announced by Matt on Twitter in response to a question about why some of the search results look spammy. Matt replied saying, “Yup we saw that. [...]
- SEO Community Joins Together To Honor Parents Of SEO Consultant Michael Cottam
In a horrific sequence of events, Oregon SEO consultant Michael Cottam lost both of his parents on the evening of June 16, 2013 near Myrtle Point, Oregon when Renae and Lola Cottam were murdered in their home before their house was set on fire by the suspected killer. Instead of sending flowers and gifts, Michael [...]
- Google Logo Celebrates 161st Birthday Of Spanish Architect Antoni Gaudi
Today’s Google homepage is dedicated to Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi, the leader of Catalan Modernism. Born in 1852, Gaudi’s hometown in Catalonia, Spain is rumored to be Reus or Riudoms. An artist of many trades, including ceramics, stained glass, wrought ironwork forging and carpentry, Gaudi’s work was largely influenced by nature and religion, earning him [...]
- The Problem With Identifying Problem Links
Since the last Penguin update, there has been a lot of chatter about examining your link profile in order to identify bad links. Whether you’ve been hit by that update or your site remains unscathed (for now), the potential danger of “unnatural” links is top of mind. Many people who’ve never given a second thought [...]
- The Lost Art Of Social Sharing Buttons
Sharing buttons are no doubt one of the best ways to get your content shared via social media, email and other online channels. However, while many website owners agree that sharing buttons are a good thing, not everyone agrees on how to implement them. There are several ways to optimize these buttons to increase your [...]
- Goodbye Enhanced Campaigns, Hello Bing Ads
Dr Shah has observed a 6% CPC increase from March through May. The report goes on to forecast another 5-10% CPC increase over the next two quarters, compared with the CPCs in the same quarters in 2012. These increases are being driven in part by enhanced campaigns.
- Dive Deep! Attend A Marketing Workshop At SMX East in NYC. Register Now & Save!
Join the most accomplished search marketers in the world at SMX East, October 1-3 in NYC. Sharpen your marketing skill set by attending one of six in-depth workshops offered on September 30. Choose from various SEO, AdWords, local, or international marketing workshops. Secure your spot, get the lowest rates available – register now!
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Google Shows Nearly 100 Million Unsafe Browsing Warnings Per Week
- Media Buying 101: Why You Need Your Own Ad Server
- Is John Deere The Original Content Marketer?
- Global Twit-o-Graphic: A Visual Map Of Where (& How) People Use Twitter
- Facebook Bug Last Week Exposed Email & Phone Numbers Of 6 Million Accounts
- Webcast Wednesday: “E-mail+Social = Profitable Client Retention”
Search News From Around The Web:
- MISERY AT GOOGLE: The Zagat Story, Business Insider
- Transparency Report: Making the web a safer place, Official Google Blog
- Travel Search Site Wego Closes $17M Series C, TechCrunch
Local & Maps
- AT&T’s mobile chief: We’ve sold out of the Facebook phone, CNET
- Google Places Warning: Do Not Edit Those New Categories On Your Businesses Listing, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google’s Local Carousel – Trapped in Google’s World?, Mike Blumenthal
- Making Sense of Your Google Business Listings, Search Engine People
- A Study of Subnet/ IP Link Ratios, Majestic SEO Blog
- How your competitors can delete 39% of your backlinks, blog.seoprofiler.com
- Numerical Methods: Root Finding, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- 3 Signs That Your SEO Provider is About to Rip You Off, Daily SEO Tip
- 5 Questions About Semantic SEO, Moz
- Bing Search Algorithm Change History, Nikhil Raj
- No risk, no reward: New report on risk in iGaming SEO, SearchWorks Digital
SEM / Paid Search
- 5 Considerations for Successful International PPC Campaigns, State of Search
- Do the PPC Engines Reward the Right Behaviors?, Search Engine Watch
- From Bing Ads with Love: Bing Ads Editor Diary, Bing Ads Blog
- Keep It Simple – Explaining PPC to Clients, Pure Visibility
- Retargeting is Key to Search Advertising, Search Engine Journal
- 5 Unknown Keyword Research Tips To Boost Your Online Traffic, Search Engine Journal
- Google AdWords Keyword Tool Redirecting Some Users To Keyword Planner Instead, Search Engine Roundtable
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.