Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 29, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Official: Google Analytics Gets Social Engagement Reporting
Google Analytics has just announced a new set of reports (and functionality) that will enable websites to track social interaction with their content. This comes as a welcomed addition to the new Google+1 button, as it now enables one to measure the impact of social interactions in and outside websites (either through a Facebook like, […]
- 5 Ways To Jump Ahead In Your Industry
We frequently hear about the consumer brands that dominate their markets. Amazon controls 25% of all Internet commerce. Zappos grew to a billion dollar company in ten years with its Web-friendly business model and rule-breaking culture. But who holds the dominant Internet-driven position in your slice of the economy? Is it you? It could be. […]
- How To See Inside Google+ If You Can’t Get Inside Google+
Google+ has been live for a full day now, and there’s plenty going on within the service, even with the limited number of people in there. Curious to see? Here’s a guide on peeping into Google Plus. Anything that happens with Google+ can be made public with the world, if someone chooses to do so. […]
- Google+: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
When I first logged into Google+ I was a bit underwhelmed, but the more I used and explored the site, the more I liked it. While it has already been deemed Google’s Facebook competitor, it is quite different. I want to share my opinion on the pros and cons of the site to help shine […]
- 4 Tips To Improve B2B Lead Quality
One of the most common goals for a B2B website is lead generation. Yet B2B marketers consistently identify lead quality as their #1 challenge. Here are four proven techniques to improve the quality of your search-generated leads. Understand Inquiries vs Leads First, track and evaluate raw inquiries and accepted leads. Raw inquiries include every contact […]
- Google Begins Multi-Month User Experience Update
Today, Google has launched the first of many design changes that will impact all of their products, including search. Their blog post says the updates will roll over over the next few months, but that they have a philosophy of “constant revision and improvement”, and notes three primary principles driving the change: Focus They say they’re […]
- First Look: “Hands On” With Google+
I’ve been manically playing with Google Plus for about an hour now and, while there is disagreement here among the editorial team at Search Engine Land, I give it a qualified “thumbs up.” At first glance many people will dismiss Google Plus as redundant and derivative of Twitter and Facebook, in particular. This was also […]
- Google Starts Showing Content Authors In Search Results
Online authors are now being highlighted in Google’s search results … if they’re using the recently announced rel=author markup language. Right now, Google says it’s working with a small group of authors who have linked their Google Profiles to their online content. One of those authors is Search Engine Land’s Editor-In-Chief, Danny Sullivan, and his […]
- Obvious Corporation Re-Launched By Some Of Twitter Founders
Biz Stone is following in Evan Williams’ footsteps in stepping away from day-to-day operations at Twitter, joining with Williams and Jason Goldman, also a Blogger and Twitter veteran, to re-form The Obvious Corporation, the company that incubated Twitter. On his blog, Stone explained his departure: “…it has come to my attention that the Twitter crew […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Pack Gets an Upgrade, Digital Inspiration
- Protect yourself from scams by knowing who really emailed you, Official Gmail Blog
- Google curbs Web map exposing phone locations, CNET News
- Facebook’s Zuckerberg Is Now Richer Than The Google Guys, Forbes
- Google taps former Microsoft prosecutor amid probe, Reuters
- Dropbox Grabs Another Googler, Ramsey Homsany, For Exec Role, TechCrunch
- Exclusive: Myspace to Be Sold to Specific Media for $35 Million, AllThingsD
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Bing Photosynth App Update and Best of Bing Maps Summer Xbox & Kinect Contest, Bing Search Blog
- Google Street View goes live across the Isle of Man, three.fm
- OffMaps to Navigate Abroad Without Big Roaming Costs, New York Times
- Street View sails into Danish waters, cphpost.dk
- Street View: Our biggest update yet, Google LatLong
- Yelp Brings Local Deals To Mobile And Gives Groupon Now A Run For Its Money, TechCrunch
- Google’s Sergey Brin Goes Sky Diving, Search Engine Roundtable
- Search Industry Shows Promise for Job Seekers, Recent College Grads, SEMPO
SEO & SEM
- MSN AdCenter Quality Score Algorithm Really Revealed, SEM Deep Throat
- Bing & Google Require Social Spam for Businesses to Compete in Search, SEO Book
- Do Your PPC Campaigns Need to go on a Diet?, blueglass.com
- How to Identify High Quality Websites, Search Engine People
- Introducing MCC accounts multiple links feature, AdWords API Blog
- Is Fighting Search Spam The Same As Improving Search Relevancy?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Should I add nofollow to banner ads?, YouTube
- The Five Linking Mistakes You Didn’t Know You Were Making, SEOmoz
- Thousands of Tumblr Logins Stolen in Phishing Attack, GFI LABS Blog
- Global pulse, Twitter Blog
- Google gave original Mac designer free rein on new Google UI, AppleInsider
- Tasks to Help You Establish Your Brand on Facebook, Michael Gray
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Image Poisoning. What’s New in June?, Unmask Parasites. Blog.
- More Free Storage in Picasa Web for Google Users, Google Operating System
- Yahoo Study Shows Online Video Watching Shifting To Primetime, TechCrunch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Discussion: Can Google Succeed at Social Networking? – Google has been playing catch up in the social networking space for a while now. Google+ is its latest attempt to offer a compelling social product that complements Google search, Gmail and the many other products/services it offers. Although only a few people currently have access to Google+, let's talk about the bigger picture. In our "Discussion of the Week," we want to know: Can Google succeed at social networking? Is it in their DNA? What results will be needed for people to consider Google+ a success? The floor is open – feel free to take this where you want, lots of different angles we can go.
- Converting Customers from Marketplace Shoppers to Fans Who Shop on Your Website – Marketplace sites like Amazon, eBay, etc. can be great tools for customer acquisition, but consider these 3 tried and true tactics for converting those marketplace customers to fans of your brand who deliver lifetime value and shop your website instead of the marketplace.
- Highlighting content creators in search results – Following through on rel=author, certain results will now display an author’s picture and name next to their content on Google Search results.
- The More Marketing Changes, The More It Stays The Same – Where Hugo shows that the basis fundamentals of business haven't changed in the Internet age.
- How To Adopt a Long-Term Approach to Content Promotion – Some very actionable tips on how to make content marketing an ongoing thing as opposed to a one-time experiment.