SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 4, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Fighting The Oil Spill On Google: BP Versus The Lawyers
As oil-poisoned pelicans are found on Gulf shorelines, lawyers and British Petroleum are looking to Google for help gaining public awareness. Attorneys are primed and ready to line up plaintiffs who were harmed by the oil spill that killed 11 people and threatens the Gulf of Mexico ecosystem. BP is reaching out, as well.
- Bing Drops Cashback Program
Microsoft announced they are retiring the Bing Cashback program as of July 30, 2010.
Cashback launched on May 21, 2008 as an attempt to increase market share for their search engine, back then named Live.com. Over the years, Microsoft claimed Cashback was successful in gaining momentum for the search engine. They even [...]
- SpeedPPC Attacks Quality Score Head On
Anyone who has read my posts in this column knows how much I like shiny, new objects. This doesn’t just apply to the search marketing space—I love kitchen gadgets, desktop apps, Firefox extensions, etc. Basically, if someone comes along and solves a problem with a tool, and I have the same problem, then I’m willing [...]
- We Could Be Lovers: AOL Courts Google & Microsoft
Coy AOL is trying to get as much as it can for its flat to declining search volume from either current partner Google (AOL CEO Time Armstrong’s corporate Alma Mater) or Microsoft, still hungry for more search wins and share. In an article recapping the D8 interview of Armstrong this week, he asserts there are [...]
- Google Testing New AdWords Billing Page
Google announced they are testing out a new billing page within the AdWords console. The new features, as Google said, include:
Get more control. Choose to initiate a payment on your account at any time and use any form of payment available with your country and currency settings.
Make payments directly from your billing summary page. [...]
- Microsoft Considering Search Apps, Like In Bing Maps
Microsoft is doing some innovative things in allowing third party apps into the Silverlight version of Bing Maps. And the company may do something analogous in search, according to Microsoft’s Ray Ozzie in an interview at the D8 conference:
[Interviewer Walt] Mossberg also elicited a bit of news from Ozzie, who confirmed Microsoft is considering [...]
- 3 Search Types All SEOs Should Know
Does your website accommodate common searcher behaviors? Here are 4 types of searches all SEOs should know…and how you can accommodate them on your site.
- Google Backs Down, Will Give Street View Data To Privacy Officials
Google is backtracking on its previous refusal to hand over private data collected in April by its Street View cars to several European governments. The Financial Times reports that Google will initially give the intercepted data to officials in Germany, France, Spain, and Italy sometime within the next two days.
The Financial Times quotes Google [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google To Change Gmail, Add "Normal Email" Option Instead Of Just "Conversations", Business Insider
- Changes to Yahoo! Updates feature, Yahoo Answers Blog
- Google Pays $75 In Gift Checks To Test New Blogger Features On Windows PCs, TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google AdMob IPad SDK Beats Apple’s IAd to the Market, eWeek
- comScore Reports April 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share, comScore
- Make the most of football fever, quicker than stoppage time, Google LatLong
- Steve Ballmer admits Microsoft is "number five" in the mobile race, Computerworld Blogs
Paid Search & Contextual
- Exchange rates now working in google suggest, SEO Home
- Why Google Web History Is Enabled by Default, Google Operating System
- Google’s Matt Cutts: search gets faster, local and more secure – CIO, SiliconRepublic.com
SEO & SEM
- Article Marketing Submission for SEO | Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
- Google I/O 2010 – SEO site advice from the experts, YouTube
- Google June 2010 PageRank Update, Search Engine Roundtable
- Keyword List Comparison Tool, SEO Book
- Spring Cleaning, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- LinkedIn Looks To Almost Double Headcount In 2010, Business Insider
- Open Letter to Mark Zuckerberg: Step Down, Global Neighbourhoods
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Goggles Coming Soon to iPhone, Read/Write Web
- Google’s iTunes Competitor Will Likely Be Called Google Music, TechCrunch
- Screenshot Hints At YouTube “Live Stream” Option, TechCrunch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Affiliate Marketing Software Solutions Review
- Using Google Analytics to prove the SEO Long tail theory
- Video SEO: Promotion in the Age of Social Sharing
- Is Google Connecting The Wrong Keywords?
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.