SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 8, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Local Search Marketers Share Ranking Factors
Nearly three dozen local search marketers from around the world have shared their opinions on what matters most this year when it comes to ranking well in Google Maps, Yahoo Local, and Bing Local. David Mihm has published the results of the 2010 Local Search Ranking Factors survey.
The survey asks local search marketers to estimate [...]
- SMX Advanced Session: SEO For Bing Vs. Google
SMX Advanced kicked off this morning in sunny Seattle (yes, seriously) with a packed house for the opening session of the SEO/Social Media track, “SEO for Google vs. Bing: How Different are They?” I won’t be recapping all of the sessions I attend today and tomorrow, but will do my best to share any interesting [...]
- Replyz: See The Questions People Are Asking On Twitter
People ask friends and followers lots of questions on Twitter. Now a new service called Replyz is making it easy to find all the questions being asked, answers being given and provides a platform allowing anyone to participate in question-answering on Twitter in an organized manner. It offers much to searchers and search marketers, alike.
- Google Analytics Adds More AdWords Reporting
The Google Analytics Blog announced they have added three new AdWords reports, ten new dimensions and additional AdWords metrics directly in Google Analytics.
The three new AdWords reports that can be found within Google Analytics include Day Parts Report, Destination URLs Report and Placements Report. Google made a video summarizing these reports:
In addition to the [...]
- Yahoo Cuts Positions, Shifting Search Emphasis
Yahoo is laying off more people in its seemingly ever-shrinking search group. In addition to previous general Yahoo layoffs, many search executives and employees have left or are being moved to Microsoft as part of the Yahoo-Bing search integration.
According to PaidContent and TechCrunch Yahoo is cutting an undisclosed number of search jobs. Yahoo provided the [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Maps previews in Gmail and Google Buzz, Official Gmail Blog
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Street View brings a taste of South Africa to football fans everywhere, Google LatLong
- Google Maps Devours Second Click, SEO Book
- Apple Makes Good On Steve Jobs’ Promise, Invites Other Advertisers. But What About Google’s AdMob?, AllThingsD
- iPad Users Shopping Like Traditional Computer Users, Rimm Kaufman
- OnStar Gets Directions From Google Maps, TechCrunch
- Revisiting Your Links Page, Search Engine Journal
- Reciprocal Links Are Unavoidable, Search Engine Roundtable
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdSense Facts & Fiction Part II: Electronic Funds Transfer, Inside AdSense
- Searching for Descartes, solving a centuries-old international mystery, Official Google Blog
- Social networks now more popular than search engines in the UK, Hitwise
SEO & SEM
- 25 Brutal Truths About SEO, Google & Main Stream Media, SEOptimise
- Google MayDay Update – A Closer Look At Impact, Search Engine Journal
- RewriteRule’s Split Personality Explained, SEOmoz
- The Blog Post SEO Checklist: Before You Publish the Post, Search Engine People
- The SEO Tip Online Retailers Still Are Not Taking Advantage Of!, Get Elastic Ecommerce Blog
- Google Merchant Center Looking For Feedback, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google vs. Bing: Correlation Analysis of Ranking Elements, SEOmoz
- How SEO Experts React To Search Rank Drops, Search Engine Roundtable
- I.O.E – Qualities of a Great SEO!, dailyseotip.com
- Local Ranking Factors and Core Data Confusion, seOverflow Blog
- Will we see realtime results for site: queries?, YouTube
- Twitter Looking To Hire A Government Liaison In Washington D.C., TechCrunch
- Costolo: Twitter Now Has 190 Million Users Tweeting 65 Million Times A Day, TechCrunch
- Twitpic Launches Face Tagging, mashable.com
- A Segmentable Funnel, Google Analytics Blog
- Demographic Reporting – The Yahoo! Effect, Yahoo! Web Analytics Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Independent Affiliate Networks vs Large Affiliate Networks
- 9 Expert SEO Tips for Small Businesses
- Five tips on getting your video into Google News
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.