Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 9, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Colbert Goes From 0-To-40 “Bing” Mentions In 2 Minutes, For Charity
Bing bought a pretty funny product placement on the Colbert Report this week. Comedian Stephen Colbert was promised $2,500 for each mention he did of Microsoft’s Bing search engine, with the money to go to his Gulf oil spill relief charity fund. Colbert did 40 within 2 minutes in various ways, racking up $150,000 in […]
- Bing Launches Social Search Features
Bing announced today at the SMX Advanced keynote this morning Bing Social search. Bing Social search should be live shortly at bing.com/social.
Status updates and shared links from Facebook fan pages
Aggregate shared link data for non-fan pages
Re-designed homepage that shows improved trending topics derived from both Twitter and Facebook data
For more details, see the […]
- Live Blog: Yusuf Mehdi Keynote At SMX Advanced
Good morning from Seattle! The sun is shining outside and the coffee is flowing inside (as required by city ordinance) and day two of SMX Advanced is about to get started. Yusuf Mehdi, Senior Vice President, Online Audience Business at Microsoft will be sitting down in a few moments for a Q&A conversation with Search […]
- Google Launches AdWords Campaign Experiments Tool
Google announced a new tool named the AdWords Campaign Experiments tool or ACE. The tool aids advertisers in testing their campaigns.
Google said “ACE allows you to perform faster, more accurate tests by executing your experimental campaign alongside your original campaign. By performing this type of simultaneous split test, we can tell you precisely if […]
- Google Voice Search Adds EU Languages
Google announced that its mobile voice search offering is now available in several, new European flavors. It has been available for English, Mandarin and Japanese until this point. Now Google will be offering voice search in French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
Voice search is popular — though Google so far hasn’t provided any precise numbers […]
- Internal SEO Communications: A 3 Step Plan
Are you struggling to communicate your program’s successes and plans across your organization? Do you have a hard time getting people to pay attention to SEO in your company?
Let’s take a look at a three step plan to improve your internal SEO communications.
I’m sure everyone has thought of this approach by now. Not hard to see […]
- Q&A With Conversion Guru Stephen Pavlovich
Today, some insights from Stephen Pavlovich at Conversion Factory. He’s a very experienced conversion rate optimizer. I specifically focused on questions around how to persuade clients to actually start testing and to make radical tests. Let’s dive in!
Tom: Tell us a little about yourself. How did you get into conversion rate optimization (CRO)?
Stephen: I actually […]
- How To Turn Your Social Media Averse Boss Into Your Champion
When an investment in social media marketing is considered by executives, it’s common to hear objections like “prove to me we can make money” or “where’s the ROI?”, regardless of whether the organization is an extremely large business or a mom and pop shop.
Such classic concerns actually make a ton of sense. Social media certainly […]
- SMX Video: Google’s Matt Cutts On Caffeine Launch
At today’s last session of the day at SMX Advanced, You & A with Google’s Matt Cutts, he announced the official rollout of “caffeine”, which Vanessa Fox covered in an earlier post, Google’s New Indexing Infrastructure “Caffeine” Now Live. Here’s Cutts discussing with Danny Sullivan what it means to everyone:
- SMX Advanced 2010 Day One Live Blog Coverage
SMX Advanced 2010 day one is now complete and below is the live blog coverage from the day:
Good Morning SMX Advanced, Seattle 2010!, AIM Clear Blog
Internet Marketing Business Track: Opening the Contract Kimono: Translating Your Pricing Model to Legal Agreement, BruceClay.com
Live Blog: Matt Cutts ‘You & A’ At SMX Advanced, Search Engine Land
Live Blogging Matt […]
- Google’s New Indexing Infrastructure “Caffeine” Now Live
Google first mentioned their new indexing infrastructure, Caffeine, back in August 2009 in order to solicit feedback, then launched it at one data center in November. Finally, it’s live everywhere. The Google blog calls it a “whole new web indexing system” that’s “more than 50 percent fresher than our last index and it’s the largest […]
- Live Blog: Matt Cutts ‘You & A’ At SMX Advanced
Welcome to our live blogging coverage from SMX Advanced in Seattle. Google’s Matt Cutts, head of the web spam team, is doing his traditional keynote that ends the first day of the conference. He’ll be sitting down with Search Engine Land’s Danny Sullivan for a “You & A” conversation that’s due to start at 5:00 […]
- Twitter Expanding URL Shortener To Long URLs In Tweets
The Twitter Blog announced they are now testing expanding their Twitter based URL shortening service, t.co on URLs that are long. The main difference here is that they will show a portion of the real URL, but pass it through t.co for security reasons.
When this is rolled out more broadly to users this […]
- My Quality Link May Not Be Your Quality Link
Many potential clients ask me what types of links they can expect if they hire us. Like any other link building company, we have our own in-house link guidelines, which clients can adapt to suit their own needs.
Some clients take more risks than others, some have an in-house SEO team who guide us, and some […]
- 7 Things I Never Want To Read In Social Media Lists Again
One of the challenges that bloggers face, compared to ‘real’ journalists, is that we’re not conditioned to churn out stories, no matter what. And so with a deadline looming for this post, I wondered what to write about, but nothing really grabbed my attention.
But then I got to thinking – maybe I should write something […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Making it easier to video chat, voice chat, and group chat in Gmail, Official Gmail Blog
- Google Calendar Caught In An Infinite Loop For Some Users, TechCrunch
- AOL to Hire ‘Hundreds’ of Journalists for Content Division, Ad Age
- Google’s Wi-Fi sniff probe reveals ‘criminal intent’ – PI, The Register
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Apple To Release iAds (AdSense For iPhone Developers) On July 1st, ReveNews
- AdMob CEO: Apple’s New Mobile Advertising Rules Will Hurt Developers, TechCrunch
- Foursquare Now Experimenting with Badge Rewards, mashable.com
- [Updated] Google’s New Secure Search Might Force Schools to Block Google, Read/Write Web
- Google’s Encrypted Search Seems to Stop SEO Poisoning, Yahoo! News
- Looking For Google Webmaster Help? Google Sends You To Orkut Help, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- A Guide to Google AdWords Settings, PPC Hero
- Customized SEO Strategy & Recommendations: Step 6 of the 8-Step SEO Strategy, SEOmoz
- Google Webmaster Tools Search Queries Report Impression & Click Drops, Search Engine Roundtable
- Hacking for SEO – BEWARE of the Crap Hats, SEO Bullshit
- How to Be a SuperSEO, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- Whiteboard Interview – Google’s Matt Cutts on Redirects, Trust More, SEOmoz
- Why aren’t breadcrumbs displaying in search results for my site?, YouTube
- Yahoo Local Listing Requirements, dailyseotip.com
- The Truth About the Faces in Your Facebook Ads, PCWorld
- Twitter, now 2 billion tweets per month, Royal Pingdom
- Yelp Publicity Story for Small Businesses | Red & Black Café & the Social Media Impact, webranking.com