Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, March 29, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Source: Google Ending AdWords Reseller Program (For Now)
Following rumors over the past week or so that Google was shutting down its local AdWords reseller program, I’ve received two separate confirmations of this today from credible sources. Both confirmed that Google is indeed shuttering the current form of the program, which has operated for at least three years. One of the sources said […]
- Google Aggressively Going After Alleged Leaker In Viacom-YouTube Copyright Case
Last fall CNET got hold of Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s deposition transcript in the Viacom-YouTube lawsuit (remember that one; it’s still going). Among other things revealed in the document was the admission that Google paid almost three times more for YouTube than its own internal valuation of the site. In addition there were other depositions […]
- Google Expands Search Suggestions, Real-Time Search & Adds Refinements To Local Searches
The Google blog posted their weekly, “this week in search” announcing small but important changes released on Google search. They include expanding the search suggestions user interface internationally, adding more language support to real-time search, adding refinements to local search queries and introducing lists for bookmarks.
On Google.com, Google used a boldface for search suggestions, […]
- Is “Yellow Pages” Becoming An Obsolete Concept?
The term “Yellow Pages” has been a literal description of a business directory product and the name for the industry which has produced it for over a hundred years. Rapid evolution of internet media seems to be revoking the conceptual connection between printed pages which are yellow and sources for finding local businesses. So, is the “Yellow Pages” name itself becoming obsolete?
- Strike Keyword Gold By Writing A Simple Story
Finding new keywords usually involves examining some of your existing top performing keywords in all of the available tools and reports to find variations that you can use to increase the traffic your PPC ads generate.
Conducting keyword research in this manner usually leads to choosing keywords that already have multitudes of advertisers. One of your […]
- Getting Top Management Buy-In For Enterprise SEO
My last post focused on selling the benefits of SEO in a large enterprise. Once you have done that you will already have made great progress, but now you need to take the next step: getting your management team to understand what is means to pursue SEO, and how it affects the business at […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Apps Still A Tiny Business — Only $50 Million A Year — But Microsoft Should Be In Major Panic Mode, Business Insider
- Google Safe Browsing practices guilt by association, InfoWorld
- Improved chat for iGoogle and orkut, Official Google Blog
- This Is Apparently How You Quit Yahoo [Video], TechCrunch
- Google in Hong Kong Makes Little Dent in China, New York Times
- Google Plans Office Tower Move In Japan, WebProNews
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Denies Revenue Sharing For Android Mobile Apps, eWeek
- Google Maps Loses Rogers, MN & Wickliffe, OH On The Map, Search Engine Roundtable
- MapQuest 4 Mobile iPhone Debuts Basic Voice Guidance…And it’s Free!, MapQuest Blog
- Manual Link Building Tips, Vertical Measures
- Local Search Talk Series Part 3: Matt McGee Interview, Nifty Marketing
SEO & SEM
- 5 Reasons why Foursquare is important for Mobile SEO, Caliban’s Mobile SEO Blog
- AdWords Search Funnels: The Secret Cost, The ClickEquations Blog
- Are there any negatives to generating a short list of ‘related posts?’, YouTube
- Diagnosing Google Crawl Allowance Using Webmaster Tools & Excel, SEOmoz
- Google: Large Number of 404s Doesn’t Hurt You, Search Engine Roundtable
- Long AdWords Display URLs Messing Google Results, Search Engine Roundtable
- The Role of News in Blended Search – Observations & Best Practices, Online Marketing Blog
- How to Build Engaging One-of-Kind Facebook Fan Pages, TechCrunch
- Google Buzz for biz ‘not there yet’, zdnetasia.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Earth Hour on the homepage, Bing Search Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Step away from your site, I dare you
- RepSpinner… Warning reputation management scam!
- TOPSEOs – Independent Authority on Search Vendors
- Peek a Boo I see you! – the Verified SEO affair
- Liveblogging Coverage of SES NY 2010
- 7 Highly Recommended WordPress Plugins
- How to Get an Influencer's Attention