SearchCap: The Day In Search, March 30, 2012
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Will Pending Layoffs Put Final Nail In Yahoo Search?
Whatever is left of Yahoo Search — and, frankly, that’s unclear at this point — might be gone completely within the next couple of weeks. At AllThingsD today, Kara Swisher is reporting that Yahoo is planning substantial layoffs as early as next week, with a company restructuring to be revealed the week after that. Swisher, [...]
- Bing Video Update: Larger Previews, Infinite Scroll & Related Content
Microsoft has announced on the Bing Search Blog an update to their video search features. Bing Video added larger video thumbnails when you hover over video results in the search results. They also added infinite scroll when you view videos on Bing Video. Additional search refinements for related content and a large video viewer and [...]
- Are You In Danger Of An Online Traffic Crisis?
As relative newcomers to the world of analytics and site and revenue improvements through analytics, many clients ask me about the traffic sources chart in their Google dashboard: Why is this important? I give one explanation of this as a measure of “Are my eggs all in one basket?” and “What happens if they [...]
- Search In Pics: Google Basketball, Bing Coffee & 376QQ6
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more. 376QQ6 License Plate: Source: Google+ Bing Coffee Stand: Source: Google+ Google Basketball: Source: Flickr Google Bowling [...]
- Google Graphical Calculator Now 3D & Animated
Google has quietly expanded the graphical calculator feature in Google’s search results to be 3D and animated. Now if you search for certain math equations, the graphical display will be 3D and animated. Google shared this news less than an hour ago on their Google+ page and math junkies (mostly Googlers) are eating it up. [...]
- The Value Of Testing Website Usability & Search Engine Performance
For one day during the holiday shopping period in December, customers could not use a well-known retail giant’s website. Heads rolled. Jobs were on the line. Searchers were puzzled. How is it possible, you may wonder, that a website representing a popular brand could experience a day of lost sales during the busiest shopping time [...]
- Getting Started With Microsoft Advertiser Intelligence
Microsoft Advertising Intelligence (MAI) is one of the SEM tools most Advertisers don’t even know they wish they had. MAI provides API access to keyword extraction and generation, and historical and forecast metrics, all wrapped in a softward add-in that integrates with Excel. It is in some ways better than AdWords’ equivalent tools, and the [...]
- How Serious Is Facebook About Search?
An article in BusinessWeek suggests that Facebook is planning a deeper push into search. Will that be limited to improving search for the site — or will it be something more comprehensive? It’s clear that Facebook needs better internal search. Right now the search function at the top of the page is not very useful. [...]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Marketing Biz: Google’s Grand Plan, Groupon Hiring An Engineering Army & comScore vCE Study Finds Ad Inefficiency
- Best States To Live As An Affiliate Marketer
- Report: Performance Targeting Coming To Facebook Ads
- Blind Man Is First “Driver” Of Google’s Self-Driving Car & Why It Was Legal
- Facebook To Change How It Counts Page Check-ins
Search News From Around The Web:
- Expedia files Google complaint to EU regulators, Reuters
- Google opens Campus’s doors in London, ZDNet UK
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google to Sell Tablets on Its Own This Year, Wall Street Journal
- Does Anyone Get And/Or Give Links Anymore?, Local SEO Guide
Paid Search & Contextual
- Facebook tests simpler interface for creating ads, targeting users, Inside Facebook
- Wikipedia’s Next Big Thing: Wikidata, A Machine-Readable, User-Editable Database Funded By Google, Paul Allen And Others, TechCrunch
- Video: Google Panda 3.4, Blog Network Eliminated & Bing Yahoo Update, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Important Location Targeting Changes Coming to adCenter, adCenter Blog
- AuthorRank could be bigger than all Panda updates combined, blindfiveyearold.com
- Google Panda: How Our Managed Partners Fought Back, Expedia Affiliate Network Blog
- Help Desk Hangouts: Reaching the right customers with Google AdWords, Google Small Business
- The New On-Page Optimization – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.