SearchCap: The Day In Search, May 11, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Keynoting SMX Advanced Seattle: Microsoft SVP Yusuf Mehdi
Microsoft’s Bing is turning one year old, and according to just-released comScore qSearch data continues to gain market share at the expense of Google. We’re excited about our keynote conversation at SMX Advanced Seattle, where Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft’s Senior Vice President, Online Audience Business and a key executive on the Bing team discusses the evolution […]
- Search Marketing Remains Strong For Retailers: Survey
Search engine marketing — both pay-per-click and SEO — remains a strong source of traffic and sales for retailers. That’s according to an Internet Retailer survey conducted in April of 102 web-only retailers, chain retailers, catalogers and consumer brand manufacturers.
According to the survey, 27% of respondents say that search engine marketing is responsible for more […]
- Bing Adds Voice-Guided Turn-by-Turn Navigation To Windows Mobile App
Bing has added voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation to the Bing mobile app for Windows Phones 6.1 and above. Bing thus joins Google, Nokia and to a lesser degree MapQuest in offering free mobile navigation services. It also means more woe for the PND makers (TomTom, Garmin, et al).
The voice component of the Bing navigation service is […]
- Breathe New Life Into Your Emailed Link Requests
Emails are the main method that my link builders use in order to build new links. It’s how we started doing things, and it continues to work for us. While there are other methods that we’ve tried, emails seem to work the best for us. That could be because for a lot of the industries […]
- Will Brands Like Facebook’s New System?
At its recent F8 developer conference, Facebook announced a raft of new developments which have been causing ripples in the worlds of technology and marketing ever since. The one that arguably has the biggest implications is the roll-out of social plug-ins and the Open Graph API (you can read my thoughts on that here if […]
- Google AdWords Tests New Broad Match Modifier
The Google AdWords blog announced a new match type, a modifier to broad match that let’s you be more specific on your keyword targeting than the normal broad match. This is currently being testing in the UK and Canada and it is named the broad match modifier.
How does it work? Put a plus […]
- Are You Harming Your Local Country SEO Performance?
Are you negatively impacting your global search efforts? There are many issues ranging from lack of resources, server restrictions and egos that are hurting a company’s search exposure in local markets. This article will breakdown some of these issues and how you can eliminate them.
- Financial Analysts Release April comScore Search Data
The comScore monthly search data release is now such an anti-climax because it’s “leaked” a day ahead of time by financial analysts and then immediately republished by bloggers who receive the research notes. We’re on that list too.
This month’s data (April) are a bit muddled because of UI changes at Yahoo and Google. Here’s what […]
- Local Search Site Center’d Launches New Engine For Deals
Local search destination Center’d has launched a new site, The DealMap. Its objective is to be a comprehensive engine for local deals and coupons. Beyond a range of sources and partners, it also employs game dynamics to encourage users to identify and upload local deals they find in the “real world” that would otherwise never […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Giving a voice to more languages on Google Translate, Google Translate Blog
- What’s different about the new Google Docs?, Official Google Docs Blog
- Google Book Accord Violates Treaties, Opponent Says, Bloomberg
- Google Defends Privacy Policies In Letter to Commissioners, PC Magazine
- Google Lawyer Says ACTA Is ‘Cultural Imperialism’, TechDirt
- Yahoo’s ‘Net Proceeds’ From Sale Of Zimbra: $100 Million, paidContent.org
- Yahoo’s Director Of Geo Engineering Locates The Exit, TechCrunch
- Google VP Julio Pekarovic Departs To Become CFO At Quantcast, TechCrunch
- Google’s Secret Plan to Save Newspapers: Sell More Expensive Ads, AllThingsD
- Turnover of UK search agencies, BlogStorm
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google’s Android takes No 2 spot from iPhone, Reuters
- Local Search Talk Series Part 6: Mary Bowling Interview, Nifty Marketing
- Virtual Photography with Google Street View, Google Sightseeing
- A Very Strange Google Local Result(s), Mike Blumenthal
- As Facebook Prepares To Launch “Places,” Foursquare Improves “Places” — Coincidence?, TechCrunch
- Google Maps for Android Gets Biking Directions, Navigation Shortcut, Sharing, and More, Official Google Mobile Blog
- Google Maps Get Directions, My Maps & Transit Directions Failing For Some, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Maps Street View Bug Takes You Through NYC Building, Search Engine Roundtable
- KML, Traffic, and Bicycling layers come to Maps API v3, Google Geo Developers Blog
- Vital Link Building Tip, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Marchex Launches PPCall "Exchange", Screenwerk
- Northern Territory tourism accused over using ‘abo’ in Google ad, smh.com.au
- Google Pleading With Searchers To Stay After Redesign, Search Engine Roundtable
- Gooooooal! Get World Cup 2010 Coverage on Yahoo! Search, Yahoo Search Blog
- How Yahoo Boosted Its Search Market Share With Pictures, TechCrunch
- Webmasters Weigh in on Teoma Search Results, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- How long does it take for Googlebot to recrawl a page?, YouTube
- How to Add Useful Content to Your Site. . . and Get Results, Search Engine Journal
- How To Charge Top Dollar For Your PPC Services, PPC Blog
- Not One Size Fits All, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- Poll: Google’s New Design Sending Less Traffic To Your Site?, Search Engine Roundtable
- SEO With Google Webmaster Tools – Part 4: Your Site on the Web (Continued), Search Engine Guide
- Some Opinions on the SEO Myths & Realities Fight, SEOmoz
- Update Rank Checker, SEO Book
- Yahoo! Tops in Seven Categories, Yahoo! Advertising Blog
- Are You Managing Your Community Or Is It Managing You?, outspokenmedia.com
- Twitter to Launch Twitter Business Center [SCREENSHOTS], mashable.com
- Yelp Security Hole Puts Facebook User Data At Risk, Underscores Problems With ‘Instant Personalization’, TechCrunch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.