SearchCap: The Day In Search, May 14, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Looks To Improve Maps With 300 New Staffers
Problems in Google Maps are well known by now. From spam to bugs to its lack of support for local businesses, we’ve chronicled (as have others) the bumpy road for the number one maps site on the web.
Today, TechFlash is reporting that help may be on the way. Google is using staffing agencies to hire [...]
- Google Stops WiFi Collecting Street View Cars After Privacy Concerns
The Google Blog admitted that they made a significant privacy mistake with some of their Street View cars. The wifi data collecting versions of the Google Street View cars were not just collecting publicly broadcast SSID information and MAC addresses but they were also collecting “samples of payload data from open (i.e. non-password-protected) WiFi [...]
- Twitter Search Adds “Expand” Option For Shortened URLs
Twitter Search has added a new “expand” option that allows you to turn a shortened URL into back into its original longer version. That’s handy to know where the URL is taking you to. It may also help increase the relevancy matching of some tweets.
NOTE: Apparently this isn’t new. Sorry. Still interesting to examine, however, [...]
- How To Save 5% To 40% On PPC Using Negative Terms
We are just so busy, busy, busy as search engine marketers on behalf of our advertisers! There are the mission critical tasks such as managing budgets, getting tracking implemented, hitting CPA goals, and uploading new keywords/ads to the account. Then there are the things we definitely need to get to every week such as pacing, [...]
- Google Closes Nexus One Store & Don’t Expect A Nexus Two?
When Google started selling its Nexus One android phone earlier this year, it raised many issues. Was Google now competing with people it depends upon for distribution? Would consumers buy from an online-only store? To the latter, apparently no. Google’s closing its shop, and perhaps never offering another Google-backed device in the future.
Google just announced [...]
- Google To Transition To Location Extensions From Local Business Ads
The Google AdWords blog announced they will soon begin transitioning away from Google’s local business ads to the new location extensions AdWords product. Google did not say when exactly the transition will be forced on advertisers, but did promise to give advertisers “plenty of time to get familiar with the new feature.”
Google set up [...]
- Takeaways From Google’s 2010 Stockholder Meeting
Google executives reflect on year at annual meeting from CNet News reports on yesterday’s shareholder meeting at Google. At the meeting was Google’s CEO Eric Schmidt, co-founder Larry Page, VP of products Susan Wojcicki, VP of user experience Marissa Mayer, general counsel Kent Walker and others.
I wanted to sum up the key [...]
- The Integration Of Online Behavior
We humans have torn down the walls between our online and offline worlds. The web is fully and functionally integrated into our lives. Unfortunately, the same is not true for corporate org charts
- Getting The Credit Your Analytics Efforts Deserve
The population of search marketers out there (you’re a lovely people) relies heavily on analytics tools to capture and report on success, and most of the time, there isn’t a safety net with your analytics tool—you pretty much have to capture the data the right way the first time around. You have to measure paid [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Chrome OS Coming Along Quickly, But Not Ready Just Yet, TechCrunch
- Five more languages on translate.google.com, Google Translate Blog
- Upgrading beyond documents, spreadsheets and presentations, Official Google Enterprise Blog
- Microsoft Aims to Use the Cloud to Outdo Apple and Google, Wired
- Google situation in China ‘seems to be stable’, AFP
- Google’s New Mission? "To Organize the World’s information (Unless It Starts With "i") …..", John Battelle’s Searchblog
- Google’s search market share slips as Bing rivalry heats up, USATODAY.com
- My last day at Yahoo!, plasticbag.org
Local, Maps & Mobile
- 65,000 Android phones shipping every day, AFP
- AdMob Keeps Growing, No Thanks To Apple, TechCrunch
- Announcing Yelp’s Small Business Advisory Council, Yelp Official Blog
- Local Search Marketing Takeaways from the Twin Cities Local U, www.webranking.com
- Local SEO Planning Tip – Determine The Geo Limits of a Search, Mike Blumenthal
- As Link Building Gets Harder, Relationships Building Is Necessary, Search Engine Roundtable
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google AdSense Testing "Above The Fold" Ads, Search Engine Roundtable
- Upcoming Webinar: Video Targeting, YouTube Biz Blog
- Search Suggestion Enhancements for Yahoo! Taiwan and Yahoo! Hong Kong, Yahoo Search Blog
- Searching Google Profiles, Rick Klau’s weblog
- The Accuracy, Currency of Google Squared and Other Answers & Google News, ResourceShelf
- Local University Twin Cities Event Recapped, Five Technology Web Design Blog
- Search & Social Awards Winners Announced!, Search Engine Journal
- Submit video questions for May 2010, Matt Cutts
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: May 14, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Google SEO experiment: Why targeting an indented listing may be a bad idea, SEOptimise
- Hosting With GoDaddy? Might Want To Rethink That Decision., Smackdown!
- Whiteboard Friday – Google’s May Day Update & What It Means for You, SEOmoz
- Twitter Expanding Short URLs – Accessible via Search, Chris Pirillo
- Google’s Testing A Self-Improving Ranking Algorithm? (MayDay), Search Engine Roundtable
- How Not to Move a URL: Lessons From the Google AdWords Keyword Tool Revamp, Nine By Blue
- Is Your Site Ranking Rank? Do A Site Review – Part 2 (SEM 101), Bing Community
- Removing URLs in XML Sitemap Won’t Hurt Your Google Rankings, Search Engine Roundtable
- The Impact of Battling SEO Spam, Cre8PC
- Viagra SERPs on Google Squared, Irishwonder
- Facebook IDs hacker who tried to sell 1.5M accounts, Computerworld
- Staying in Control of Your Facebook Logins, Facebook
- EU criticises Facebook privacy changes, Telegraph
- For Sale: Thousands of Hacked Twitter Accounts, Technology Review
Video, Music & Image Search
- Pardon Our Dust, Hulu Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- The Link Builder's Guide to Competitive 'How-To' Content Analysis
- Gurus and Other Social Media Monsters
- Why Facebook “Like” Won’t Change the World
- Stop Quoting Alexa For SEO! And don’t just take my word for it….
- 2 (Alternative) Ways to Share Your Guest Posts on Your Own Blog
- If It’s Too Good To Be Fricking Link True…
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.