SearchCap: The Day In Search, May 17, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google May Finally Disclose AdSense Split … If You’re An Italian Newspaper, That Is
How much money does Google keep for itself from AdSense ads that publishers carry? Unless you’re a big publisher, Google — which preaches “data liberation” — doesn’t say. But thanks to an anti-trust investigation in Italy, Google may share how much it keeps. At least, that is, to Italian newspaper publishers.
It’s a simple enough thing […]
- Twitter’s Trending Topics Algorithm Updated To Show “Immediately Popular” Trends
Mashable reports that Twitter has confirmed they changed their trending topics algorithm last week. Twitter’s Trending Topics, which later allowed localize trends, shows the most popular subjects being talked about on Twitter.
Twitter said they now not only look at what is most popular, but what is “immediately” most popular on Twitter. Meaning, the […]
- Enterprise SEO Tools, Part 1: The Browser
Everybody loves tools! For search marketers working on any level—a 10 page site or a 10 million page site—tools are essential. They save us time, they help us diagnose issues, and they give us a peek into what our competitors are doing. They can even give us a peek into what the search engines are […]
- Getting Started With Mobile Paid Search Advertising
After several years of lying in the weeds, mobile advertising has significantly picked up steam. It finally makes sense to understand how to effectively use and deploy mobile paid search marketing campaigns. In this article, I’ll provide some basic tips related to paid search mobile marketing. In my next article, I’ll suggest several ad copy […]
- Learning Local Search Via Twitter
We’ve sifted through the best tweets from the latest LocalU conference to get the latest on local seo and local search marketing.
- Openbook: See What People On Facebook Share To The World
Want to see what people share on Facebook with the entire world — perhaps without realizing it? There’s a new site that makes this easy, Openbook.
Look At The Embarrassing Updates!
Last week, I explored the issue of how Facebook’s own “Posts By Everyone” search feature revealed people who might be sharing material they didn’t intend for […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Changes to Yahoo! Mail Options: Disposable Email Addresses, ymailblog.com
- Google and Intel in web TV launch, FT.com
- Web Browsers Leave ‘Fingerprints’ Behind as You Surf the Net, Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Y! Answers is heading to San Francisco…, Yahoo Answers Blog
- TechCrunch wasn’t invited to Google Zeitgeist. Apparently we’re seeing too much of eachother., TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Says It’s Shipping 65,000 Android Phones Daily, paidContent.org
- Android 2.2, Google TV Expected at Google I/O This Week, eWeek
- Google Refreshes Android Market Website – It Inexplicably Still Lacks Search, TechCrunch
- U.S Mobile Data Exploding, Revenues Top $12.5B In Q1, Verizon Now World’s Largest Mobile Data Operator, Mobile Marketing Watch
- 10 Link Building Tools Reviewed, wiep.net
- Easy Step by Step Way to Use Youtube for Link Building, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Coffee break with clients – AAA and Razorfish improve user experience with Ad Sitelinks, AdWords Agency Blog
- Gilt Groupe, Groupon, and avoiding SEO, Scott Rafer’s Blog
- Google Restricts Ads for ‘Cougar’ Sites, New York Times
- 10 Things that Make Search a Semantic Search, Hakia Blog
- Dive deeper into Techmeme’s top sources and introducing the Mediagazer Leaderboard, Techmeme News
- Google To Offer Encrypted Web Search, Search Engine Roundtable
- Another Successful “Local University” in the Books, Small Business SEM
SEO & SEM
- 5 SEO Tactics That Make You Look Like a Douche, line25.com
- API and Dataset Cheatsheet – Building Quick & Dirty Tools, SEOmoz
- How To: Properly Buy An Existing Domain For SEO Purposes, Daily SEO Tip
- Universal Search – Digital Asset Optimisation, Bruceclay.com.au
- Wordpot: Another Keyword Suggestion Tool to Add to Your Arsenal, Search Engine Journal
- How to use social media optimization to get quick traffic, Pandia
- Twitter Marketing Strategy: 5 Steps, Online Marketing Blog
- What backlash? Facebook is growing like mad, Fortune Tech
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube Shows the Number of Likes and Dislikes, Google Operating System
- At five years, two billion views per day and counting, YouTube Biz Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Hosting With GoDaddy? Might Want To Rethink That Decision.
- Common Online Business Mistakes by Michael Gray, Alan Bleiweiss and more!
- Four unique social bookmarking gems
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.