SearchCap: The Day In Search, May 28, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Starting To Manage Its Cash Mountain More Aggressively
Google now has roughly $26 billion in cash on hand. That mountain of money has apparently been getting very conservative returns according to an article appearing in Businessweek.
The article also discusses how Google has now turned its formidable technology and software prowess on its short term investments to more aggressively manage its portfolio. Accordingly Google [...]
- Yahoo Redesigns Image & Video Search Pages To Show Trending Results
Yahoo announced they have redesigned the home page for Yahoo Image Search and Yahoo Video Search to include trending search results.
The new pages are no longer dull looking, they show up to “five pages of topics that are trending in search,” in a sleek black background. You can scroll through the pages [...]
- Recent Webmaster Related Changes At Google
There have been several changes this week at Google that I found particularly interesting and wanted to summarize for you.
Of course, yesterday’s May Day confirmation story from Vanessa Fox has details on the ranking algorithm change Google put into place earlier this month. That may be the biggest Google related webmaster story [...]
- Secret Sauce: Leverage Outside Listings To Help Local Rankings
Google Maps (or Local, or Places, or whatever it is calling itself this month) is the bane of my existence. Well, maybe 3rd place behind Bing and Yahoo PPC platforms…but you catch my meaning.
Inevitably, I can expect at least one phone call or email a week from a client asking why they’re not showing up [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Happy 1st birthday, Google Wave!, Official Google Blog
- Exclusive: Twitter’s Director Of Search Is Out As Product Is Restructured, TechCrunch
- Exclusive: Yahoo Front Page Head Tapan Bhat Leaves Company, AllThingsD
- Zeitgeist Europe 2010, Google Barometer
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Local Search Heats Up, BusinessWeek
- Styled Maps and wrapping up I/O in style, Google LatLong
- Android Emerges as Big Rival to iPad, Wall Street Journal
- Code for My Tracks is now yours, Google LatLong
- Microsoft: 30 Million Windows Phone 7 devices will be sold by the end of 2011, MobileTechWorld
- May 2010 Linkscape Update (and Whiteboard Explanations of How We Do It), SEOmoz
- The Hidden Risk of Trusting Link Building Networks, SEO Book
- Apple Reveals New Service for Authors to Sell Their Books Directly in the iBookstore, Mac|Life
- Are We Seeing the Beginning of a Comeback for Exalead in the General Web Search Space?, ResourceShelf
- Insight Into Webmaster Tools – A Chat with Google’s Maile Ohye, Search Engine Guide
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: May 28, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- How to Use Google Webmaster Tools for SEO Inspiration, SEOptimise
- Search Engine Optimization Tip: Check the Whois on Your Domain Name, Bill Hartzer
- Burglars search Facebook, kgw.com
- Exclusive Video And Screenshots Of Digg Version 4, TechCrunch
- Facebook Tests “Related Photos,” Shows Users Excerpts from Other Albums, Inside Facebook
- Good news for people everywhere!, Twitter Blog
- Social Media Marketing Best Practices – IMS Minneapolis, Online Marketing Blog
- Social Media Strategy from A to Z, Techipedia
Video, Music & Image Search
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
Opinions expressed in the article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land.
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.