SearchCap: The Day In Search, May 6, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Yahoo-MSFT Advertiser Transition To Start This Summer
Yahoo and Microsoft have both shared updates on their plans to transition advertisers as part of the new “search alliance” between the two companies, and the big news appears to be that the transition from Yahoo’s ad platform to Microsoft’s adCenter will begin this summer.
In its blog post, Yahoo lays out how the transition will [...]
- Google Lawsuit: Our Links Don’t Violate Copyright
Google is suing a small record company that previously sued Google over its links to copyrighted works hosted on Rapdishare. Google Inc. v. Blues Destiny Records, LLC was filed April 28 in a California district court.
It’s a potentially important issue at hand: As Billboard explains, Google is asking the court to declare that the links [...]
- How To Get Started With Mobile Marketing
Mobile marketing is now considered the 7th mass media channel after print, recordings, cinema, radio, TV, and the internet. So with this new mass media channel, the question is what’s the best way to approach marketing to users of mobile devices?
A brief history of mobile marketing
Marketing to mobile devices is widely believed to have started [...]
- Google Goggles v1.1 Translates Menus, Books & More
The Google Mobile Blog announced a new version of Google Goggles now supports translating what it sees. You simply point the phone at the text you want translated, it could be a menu, sign, book or whatever and specify which text you want translated and snap the picture. Then Google will scan the [...]
- Small Businesses With Low Online Visibility Can Easily Improve
When you ask small business owners if they want their business ranked high on the Internet, nearly all answer in the affirmative. But how many of them invest in their online visibility?
To answer this question, we took a look at businesses in San Diego and calculated their visibility on search engines, directories and yellow pages [...]
- Yahoo Should Put Ad Budget Into Products
Last night the WSJ reported that Yahoo will spend an estimated $75 million to $85 million on a new campaign to promote itself and its homepage. The initial TV spot (below) is critical of Google and sets itself up in opposition to the search engine as a more desirable homepage because it does more stuff.
- SEMPO Seeks Help Classifying Search Marketers For US Government
SEMPO is working with the U.S. Labor Department to classify job titles and descriptions related to search engine marketing, and is looking for industry help in the process.
In a recent SEMPO newsletter, the organization explained what’s going on:
You can be part of an important and exciting task force for SEMPO, to help the US Government [...]
- PPC Magic: 3 Steps To Turning Hundreds Of Keywords Into Millions
A couple of weeks ago in this course, we talked about The Blueprint Of The Modern Paid Search Account and what factors affect the way we build keyword lists. Basically, the long tail approach dictates that we not only use high-search volume, general terms, but also load up our accounts with many, many niche [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google spends over $250 million on start-ups in quarter, CNET News
- Digg Cuts 10% Of Staff, TechCrunch
- SEC Watch: Armstrong Puts $11 Million Into AOL Stock, paidContent.org
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Apple iPad User Analysis, Y! Mobile Blog
- California (3 Items): 2010 State Fault Activity Map & State Geological Map, ResourceShelf
- comScore Reports March 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share, comScore
- How To Remove Consumer Reviews From Your Google Local Business Listing, Daily SEO Tip
- Get Started on Your Link Campaign, Search Engine People
- Leveraging A Site for Manual Link Building, Vertical Measures
Paid Search & Contextual
- Site maintenance on Saturday, May 8, Inside AdSense
- Google AdWords API Bringing Remarketing Support Mid-Q3 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
- Live AdSense webinars available in six languages, Inside AdSense
- Impressive! The Open Library Relaunch is Complete, ResourceShelf
- New: Searchable Database: Venomous Snakes and Antivenoms Search, ResourceShelf
- shop and share with bing, Bing
- the microsoft research team bing = endless possibilities, Bing
- Tinkering with Turing Machines in Wolfram|Alpha, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Are More ‘White Hat’ SEO Techniques Being Classified As ‘Black Hat’?, Search Engine Roundtable
- iAcquire’s LinkDiagnosis: What Sort of Link Diagnosis Does it Do? And For Whom?, SEO Book
SEO & SEM
- Should I be obsessing about load times?, YouTube
- "Springing” into a New Shopping Season with Google, Google Merchant Blog
- Does your SEO copywriting sound like a bad date?, SEO Copywriting
- Finding Gaps and Opportunities: Step 3 of the 8-Step SEO Strategy, SEOmoz
- Google AdWords Search Funnels: 3 essential reports you should scrutinize, Search Engine Guide
- Google Keyword Tool: From Keyword Research to Application, KoMarketing Associates
- Improve PPC Performance With Negative Keywords, Search Marketing Standard
- Playing PPC Catch Up: Microsoft AdCenter, Search Engine Journal
- Quick and Easy Ecommerce Site Optimization Tips, Search Engine Journal
- SEO Outsourcing – Why Would You Outsource SEO Offshore?, seoconsultants.com
- Facebook Makes Small Developer Roadmap Updates — Watch for More This Month, Inside Facebook
- Facebook patches security hole that exposed users’ instant messages, Los Angeles Times
- Facebook Privacy Policies Draw Criticism by 15 Consumer Groups, Bloomberg
- Q&a: Twitter Exec Explains New Business Plan, CIO
- New AdWords ID Data in Google Analytics API, Google Analytics Blog
- Google’s UK Elections Doodle Is Old Logo Design, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Meet The New Google & Its Colorful, Useful “Search Options” Column
- 10 Blogs with Explosive Growth to Learn From
- Software for SEO: Tools, Why & How to Track Rankings in a Personalized Search World
- How Social Media is Influencing Your Behavior
- 8 SEO Myths Debunked
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.