SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 1, 2012
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Apple Maps Sees Its First International Territorial Dispute As Korea Protests Island Naming
From the it-had-to-happen-sooner-or-later department: Apple is in the midst of its first international territorial dispute over its new Apple Maps product. As the Korea Times reports (and also picked up by ZDNet), the South Korean government is upset because Apple is displaying a collection of small islands in between it and Japan with different names [...]
- Search Month: October 2012 Search News, In Review
Search Month is an exclusive monthly newsletter for Search Engine Land premium members that recaps stories covered on Search Engine Land from the previous month. Below are top stories organized by topic that happened over the past month. Each topic (or Search Engine Land column) is also a link, where you can click through and [...]
- Google Anticipates Surge In Smartphone Search For Holidays
Earlier this morning I wrote a post about how most search marketers were failing to utilize mobile paid search and/or not following mobile best practices. Failing to “get your act together” (from a mobile standpoint) could be costly for marketers of all sizes this holiday season. There have already been a dozen or so surveys [...]
- Proven Paid, Earned and Owned Social Media Tactics – December 5-6 in Las Vegas
Attend SMX Social Media Marketing for two days featuring tactic-packed sessions on paid, earned and owned social media. The agenda is posted and includes dynamic keynotes from Del Harvey, Twitter’s head of trust and safety, and Vic Gundotra, head of Google+. December 5-6 in Las Vegas. All Access passes only $1395 if you register by [...]
- What’s The Next Big Metric For Creative Optimization?
As keyword lists expand, they often outgrow the groups that were initially created to contain them. For example, a group that started out with a single keyword, [running shoes], could expand over time to contain [running shoes], [womens running shoes], [jogging shoes] and [black running shoes], among others. The original creative that was generated to [...]
- Data: Only 5 Percent Of Search Advertisers Follow Mobile Best Practices
Google has been pumping out research and speaking at industry trade shows trying to educate advertisers and agencies about the growing importance of mobile in the consumer path to purchase. One of the “best practices” advocated by Google, as well as those experienced with mobile paid search, is to separate PC and mobile campaigns. However [...]
- Structured Data Markup Was Inevitable, But Is It An Admission Of Failure?
The movement toward structured data markup (i.e., increasing use of standards like Open Graph, Schema.org, RDFa, etc.) has bothered me for awhile, but I could not exactly put my finger on the issues. A few weeks ago at SMX East, there were some great presentations on these topics, and I finally realized that I have [...]
- Google And Rosetta Stone Agree To Settle Suit Over Trademarked Keywords
One of Google’s most well-funded and tenacious opponents in the legal arena, Rosetta Stone, has agreed to settle its trademark suit against the search giant. The language learning software company had contended that the use of its trademarks as “keyword triggers” infringed trademark law and confused consumers. Terms of the settlement agreement weren’t disclosed. The three-year-old case was [...]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- B2B Marketers Can’t Ignore Mobile Any Longer
- Cash-Strapped Euro Governments Look To Online Giants For Additional Tax Revenues
- ‘PageLever Now’ Launches Real-time Facebook Post Analytics & Management Tool
- Market By Mobile Type: Device Targeting Comes To Facebook Ads
- Ditching The Doublewide? Facebook Testing Single Column Timeline Layout
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Baidu’s tricky transition to making money on mobile, thenextweb.com
- 5 Steps for Building Links that Improve Search Results, MarketingSherpa
- Google’s Disavow Tool Not A Cure-All, www.wikimotive.net
Paid Search & Contextual
- Promotional Economics, Rimm Kaufman
SEO & SEM
- 5 Google Algorithm Changes I’d Like to See, Search Engine Journal
- 5 Killer SEO Insights from Analyzing a Billion Dollars in AdWords Spend, SEOmoz
Video, Music & Image Search
- 14 Ways to Promote Your Latest YouTube Video, www.problogger.net
- Video not showing in search results: why?, yoast.com
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.