Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 10, 2008
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Search Biz: Schmidt Turns Down Obama; Google Stock Tumbling & More
Google CEO Eric Schmidt may have endorsed Barack Obama for president, but that doesn’t mean he wants to work in the Obama administration. According to Reuters, Schmidt told CNBC that he would not take on the role of “technology czar” if Obama were to ask him. “I love working at Google and I’m very happy to stay at Google, so the answer is no,” Schmidt said. He is, however, serving on Obama’s 17-person economic advisory board.
- 8 DON’Ts and 7 DOs For Holiday eCommerce
The holiday season is almost upon us. It’s time to start looking over the inventory, keywords, and offers to make sure you’re ready for Cyber Monday. In today’s column we offer several things to do and important don’ts that will help you have a successful holiday season.
- Microsoft Does MSN Toolbar Distribution Deal With Java
Continuing on with its strategy to build search share by gaining distribution partners, Microsoft has landed a deal to have its MSN Toolbar offered to anyone in the United States who downloads Java for Internet Explorer.
- Google AdSense To Improve Ad Filter & Blocking Ads
The Inside AdSense blog has told us they will be improving the speed of the AdSense competitive ad filter and also enhance the blocking capabilities of the Ad Review Center. The ad filter will be speed up to work within an hour, once these changes have been deployed. While the Ad Review Center will be expanded to give you ways to block an “entire categories of ads in addition to individual ads.”
- Agency.com Sues iCrossing For Poaching Clients & Employees
Agency.com Sues Rival Over Clients from the Wall Street Journal reports that Agency.com is suing iCrossing for allegedly trying to hire Agency.com employees and steal their clients. Agency.com is specifically suing for breach of contract, tortuous interference and conspiring to misappropriate proprietary information and trade secrets. They are seeking $19.5 million in damages from iCrossing. Furthermore, Agency.com is blaming iCrossing for the closing of their Dallas office and the “decimation of the firm’s Chicago office.”
- The SEM Pro’s Guide To Taking Over A Paid Search Account; How To Fly Above The Funnel
In The Trenches is a spotlight of tips, tricks, and news about the tools search engine marketing professionals use to give them a leg up on the competition. Today: news from the search engines, today’s in-depth look: a guide to taking over an existing paid search account, a tip to look above the funnel to reach your target, and this week’s free tips and tools.
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Update on the new Hotmail, Windows Live Wire
- Yahoo’s Big Hit: The Obamas On Election Night, Alley Insider
- Link By Link – Updating a Reference Site on the Fly, New York Times
Subletting Office Space At NYC Googleplex (GOOG), Alley Insider
- Google and
Microsoft executives trade jabs, NEWS.com
at 10 – Searching Its Own Soul, New York Times
internet advertising market hits RMB 3.34 bln in Q3, Alibaba News
Signs a Deal to e-Publish Out-of-Print Books, New York Times
exec crafts quite a story, chicagotribune.com
Google library, Los Angeles Times
- Check if a Site Serves Malware Before Linking for SEO, Search Engine Journal
- EDU Links & Circular Links: Do They Work?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Link Building Reports That Make Your Client Happy, Search Engine Journal
- Text Links from .edu or .gov Domains Are Not Special to Google, Digital Inspiration
Local, Maps & Mobile
Microsoft working on App Store-like software distribution, ComputerWorld.com
iPhone App Rankings Alexa-Style, TechCrunch
Maps: Will Edit Wars go Politically Postal?, Mike Blumenthal
Reaches Top-Seller Status in U.S., blog.kelseygroup.com
to Google Maps for mobile for enterprises, Official Google Mobile Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- Microsoft Advertising: Insights – Holiday Tips, adCenter Blog for Advertisers
- Site maintenance on Saturday, November 8, Inside AdSense
- Confusion Over Yahoo’s Paid Inclusion Program, Search Engine Roundtable
- Search Won’t Fall Off Cliff As Online Ads Slow, MediaPost
- Why Bigger is Better : Google AdSense, Search Engine Journal
- When Google Scholar’s Integration with Google Search is Useful, Google Operating System
- Friendshopper, Groundbreaker, www.altsearchengines.com
- Universal Search: The (War) Elephant in the Room, Search Engine Watch
- PubCon Las Vegas 2007 Recap, SEOdisco
- SMX East 2008 Give It Up: White Hat Edition, BruceClay.com
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: November 9, 2008, Search Engine Roundtable
- First Twitter – Now Facebook! Become a "Fan" of adCenter , adcentercommunity.com
- Increase ROI From Marketing Conferences, Online Marketing Blog
- Judith Lewis: Search Blogger of the Day, The SEO Scoop
- Should Google Be Upfront About Search Quality Bugs?, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Differential Diagnosis: A Broken Website Ranking Atop Google, SEOmoz
- SEM Rush Search Marketing Research – Review of SEMRush.com, SEO Book
- Classifying Web Spam by Looking at Query and Page Features, SEO By The Sea
- As an SEO, Are You Cleaning the Shark?, We Build Pages
- Blogs, Vlogs and SEO, Search Engine Guide
- Do I need a shopping cart or a content management system?, Search Engine Guide
- Driving higher conversion rates, Official Google Checkout Blog
- The Day That All Large Companies "Got" It, Wiep.net
- FriendFeed Over IM: Kill Me Now, TechCrunch
- Twitter Investor Meets With Open Source Textbook Startup, Wired
- A very eventful post, Orkut Blog
- Build Your SEM Network — Get LinkedIn, Search Engine Watch
- Nigerian scammers hit Facebook, News.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- A Google Analytics Trick Everyone Should Know, SEOptimise
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- The 2 Minute Search Marketing Pro Survey
- Check if a Site Serves Malware Before Linking for SEO
- Social Media Rockstar Interview with Matthew Inman (Oatmeal)
- Reddit Updates Widgets, Launches FireFox Plugin, and Updates Their Site
- SEO and User Behavior
- ‘Overheard On Twitter’ Friday
- Makes Me Want To PUKE! Aren't Blog Scrapers Copyright Infringers?
- Key Insights from Key Relevance's Christine Churchill
- Code Name "SMX East: Give It Up!"
- Social Media Marketing through Helpful Content
- Win a Chance to Kick My Ass – Sugarrae
- Customer Service and Reputation Management the Twitter Way: A Case Study
- When SEO Clients Won’t Follow Advice?
- “Meet the Affiliates” Interview #23: Introducing Rae Hoffman
- Eric Ward's Link Building Masterclass
- Aaron Wall Ranking In Top 10 For Lindsay Lohan Nude
- New Wordtracker Tool Finds Keyword Questions
- Top 30 .ac.uk Domains – the better .edu links?
- Tools and Tips to Help You Keep Up With The Latest Buzz
- What If SEO Was Spelled TSA?
- When SEO Clients Won’t Follow Advice?
- SEO for Big Brands
- SEO Methodology
- Blow Your Mind Link Building Techniques (at SMX London)
- The Lazy Bloggers Guide to Quality Content & Social Media Success
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.