SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 11, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google AdWords Expands Product Ads
Google announced they are expanding the product ads within the AdWords listing that they have been testing for a while.
Google said, in the U.S., searchers should see them more frequently. It is however still a beta but Google will continue to expand it over time.
Here are the key features:
Pay only for results: [...]
- Google Adds World Bank Data To Search Results
Not wanting to be overshadowed by today’s Bing / Walfram Alpha collaboration, Google has announced the addition of World Bank data to its search results … or, as Danny Sullivan said on Twitter, “we got structured data, too.”
Google says it’s now pulling in 17 World Development Indicators from the World Bank, and uses a search [...]
- Bing Gains Search Share In October: Experian Hitwise
While Bing is happily rolling out new search features, Microsoft can also smile at the latest search engine market share report from Experian Hitwise.
Google is still light years ahead of Yahoo, Bing, and Ask … but Experian Hitwise shows Bing with a 7% increase during October, while both Google and Yahoo saw small drops in [...]
- Bing Launches Wolfram Alpha Collaboration & Several New Search Features
There’s a lot of news today coming out of Bing headquarters, perhaps most notably that the long-rumored partnership with Wolfram Alpha is finally coming to fruition.
Bing’s announcement today explains that the collaboration will cover two specific areas: nutritional information and mathematics.
With help from Wolfram Alpha, Bing says it can now help users make smarter [...]
- Google Adds SafeSearch Locking
With parents and teachers in mind, Google has announced a new feature that lets users lock SafeSearch on the most strict setting.
Using the new feature requires users to enter a Google account password, and when the feature is in effect, Google-colored balls will show at the top of the search results page.
As Google explains:
“Even from [...]
- Highlighting An Old Strategy: AdWords As PR Spin Tool
Harvard’s Nieman Journalism Lab reminds people of an old PR strategy: buying AdWords to combat negative reporting in the press. The article highlights how a trade organization (the New Zealand Seafood Industry Council) combatted a negative story in the NY Times about over fishing. When people searched on selected keywords associated with the story, trade group’s AdWords campaign [...]
- Track Your Friends (And Yourself) With Google Latitude Location History, Alerts
Seeking to make Latitude, Google’s location-aware friend finder, more engaging and useful the company has added location history and alerts to the service. Location Alerts, which require Location History to be enabled, tell you when friends are in the area. The system is smart enough to recognize routine places like home and work so it [...]
- GoogMob Deal “A Watershed Moment” For Mobile Advertising
Just as the introduction of the iPhone changed everything in the consumer world of mobile and helped usher in the era of the mobile internet, the pending Google acquisition of mobile display ad network AdMob is an almost equally significant event for mobile advertising. Over the past few years mobile advertising and marketing have been [...]
- Google Plays It Safe With ‘09 Veterans Day Logo
If you visit Google.com today, you will see a special logo for Veterans Day. The logo is less complex when compared to last years, where Google had to fix their Veterans Day logo. Last year, Google placed hats on top of each letter on the Google logo, the hats included Army, Navy, Air [...]
- How To Use Google Analytics To Improve PPC Performance: Part I
Running effective PPC campaigns in B2B markets is a competitive task that can be extremely expensive. That’s why it is so important for search marketers to run efficient campaigns that create maximum value for those high-cost clicks. So what can you do to be more competitive and increase ROI even as these tough economic times are shredding your budgets?
- Protecting Your Brand On The Online Yellow Pages
Why should you care about Online Yellow Pages when Google is most likely your primary source of traffic and ROI? The simple answer is because local search is on the rise, and with it so are opportunities for other advertisers to exploit your corporate name or brand, possibly to your detriment.
Lets take a look at [...]
- Bing Launches New Video Portal With Help From MSN
Bing and MSN have combined to create Bing Videos, a new video portal that combines the content from MSN Videos with Bing’s search technology.
According to today’s announcement (and more here), the new site combines videos from a variety of sources. The former MSN Videos offered original programming, as well content from the likes of MSNBC, [...]
- PubCon Vegas ‘09 Blog Coverage
Today was the first day of PubCon Las Vegas 2009 and the sessions are just about over. I wanted to share some of the blog coverage I found from the day that covered the sessions that took place. Here they are:
Capitalizing on Twitter the Microblogging Revolution, outspokenmedia.com
Hot Topics and Trends in the Affiliate [...]
- Does Marissa Mayer’s “Perfect Search Engine” Already Exist In Siri?
Recently IDG News Service asked Google’s Marissa Mayer about the “perfect search engine.” Here was the question posed: “What is the perfect search engine? If you had a magic wand and could create it, what would it look like? What would it do?”
Mayer replied: “It would be a machine that could answer that question, really. [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- More extra storage for less, Official Gmail Blog
- New additions to the settings page, Official Google Docs Blog
- New Google Checkout acceptance logo, Official Google Checkout Blog
- Go, a Programming Language by Google, Google Blogoscoped
- Google in Real Life: Google Imitations & Installations, Search Engine Journal
- PHP Founder Rasmus Lerdorf Leaves Yahoo, TechCrunch
- Yahoo Pitches Itself To Investors, paidContent.org
- 93 Percent of Internet Users in Turkey Visited Google Sites in September 2009, comScore
- Eric Schmidt on Marketing’s Importance to Business Success, YouTube
- Google ordered to pay 500,000 dlrs to F1 racer Barrichello, AFP
- It’s All About The Data: Twitter Nabs Senior Scientist Utkarsh Srivastava From Yahoo, TechCrunch
- Microsoft Turns Search Lemon Into Lemonade, MediaPost
- Yahoo’s Bartz Dissed by CES, BNET
Local, Maps & Mobile
- One Mobile App for Multiple Platforms Almost a Reality, Read/Write Web
- Bing Maps Imagery Release, November 2009, Bing Maps Blog
- Get a keyword stuffed Google Map listing with a virtual office thrown in for free!, Mike Blumenthal
- Google Canary Island Street View Catches Man Peeing (PHOTOS), Huffington Post
- Google Maps glitch renames Henderson, Las Vegas Sun
- Independent Hotel London – This Isn’t What I Meant, Google, Piggynap’s Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdWords Downtime: November 14th, 10am-2pm PDT, AdWords API Blog
- New public relations: Beating back bad press with Google AdWords, Nieman Journalism Lab
- Weed Out Unqualified Traffic with the Search Query Report from MSN adCenter, PPC Hero
- Western Union launched in new countries, Inside AdSense
- Cute: AdWordsPro Sarah Bakes Cake For AdWords Forums Birthday, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- 21 On-Site SEO Tips You Can Give to Your Online Copywriter, SEOptimise
- MSNBot Crawl Delay Doesn’t Delay, Search Engine Roundtable
- Possible Google Removal Tool Bug: "You have already made this removal request", Search Engine Roundtable
- Rank Tracking across Hundreds of Search Engines: Rank Tracker, Search Engine Journal
- Hackers Use Twitter API To Trigger Malicious Scripts, Unmask Parasites
- Twitter-equipped bathroom scale tells the world how much you weigh, Los Angeles Times
- Why Retweet works the way it does, Evan Williams
Video, Music & Image Search
- Bringing the Best of Web Video to You at Bing Videos, Bing Search Blog
- How We Think About Social, YouTube Blog
- Skip, skip, skip to my video, YouTube Biz Blog
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.