SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 24, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Search Tips For Black Friday & Cyber Monday
Ladies and gentlemen open your wallets — and start your smartphones. The holiday shopping season is upon is. This year more than ever there are scores of sites, apps and online tools to direct you to the right product at the best price. It can all be a bit overwhelming in fact. Below I’ve tried [...]
- How To Frame Your SEO Conversations So Work Gets Done
Getting buy in for your SEO work is critical. For in-house SEOs, there is usually at least a small measure of politics involved and a number of different levels of understanding during each phase of sign off. During all of your conversations, pitches and back-room deal making (ex. I’ll wash & wax your car for [...]
- No, That’s Not Someone Having A Baby On Google Street View
This morning, there is a lot of buzz around a Google Street View Image that shows a woman giving birth to a baby. You can see the image below or on Twitpic. The bottom line, this is a fake image. How do I know? Google tweeted that it was fake. Google said on their German [...]
- Pew Studies Internet Use & Income Levels
The PEW Internet and American Life Project has come out with a new study about internet use based on household income that includes some data on how these segments use search. There’s also interesting stuff here about how income correlates to likelihood to rate and review products, pay for online content, book travel, and access [...]
- Roku + Hulu Plus = Pretty Awesome
Last week, the Roku player gained support for Hulu Plus. I’ve been trying out the combo for the past few days, and it’s pretty awesome. It further fulfills the promise of streaming TV content from the internet and back to your TV in the way that Google TV hasn’t. Roku: My First Day Review & [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Apache open sourcers welcome Google’s unwanted Wave, The Register
- Facebook Shares Get Sliced Into Derivatives as Value Surges, BusinessWeek
- Patent Office Agrees To Facebook’s “Face” Trademark, TechCrunch
- Silicon Valley comes to Oxford: We’re still not up for sale, Twitter co-founder says – Why we’re all flocking mad, TechEye
- An update on Twitter’s Europe Expansion and it looks like London’s calling, thenextweb.com
- Delicious Founder Schachter Gets Backing For A New Social Startup, paidContent.org
- Google Is Losing Its Fight With The Music Labels On A Streaming Service, businessinsider.com
- Here’s The Problem With Google Buying Groupon: A Massive Culture Clash, businessinsider.com
- Investigation: Google, “The Rise Of DSPs,” And What’s Really Fueling Its Display Ad Growth, TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Places Odds and Ends, Mike Blumenthal
- How ratings and reviews work on Google Places, Google LatLong
- How To Craft Internal and External Links For Conversion and Click-Through, Search Engine Journal
- 7 Google Search Annoyances, Google Operating System
- Google Social Search Coming To Google Images, Search Engine Roundtable
- Get Ready For Your Holiday Shopping, Yahoo Search Blog
- Growing excitement online for Black Friday, Hitwise
- How To Land A Speaking Gig At A Local / Regional Search Conference, Search Engine People
SEO & SEM
- Answers to the SEO Professional’s Litmus Test, SEOmoz
- Google Instant Previews: Murder in the SERP, BruceClay.com
- What Is "Advanced" SEO?, SEOmoz
- Negative SEO Issues with Website Page Loading Speeds, Vertical Leap Blog
- Another good use of Google Instant?, Zaddle Internet Marketing
- Google Contextual Targeting Tool, PPC Hero
- Just for SEOs – How to Find and Keep a Great Copywriter, Search Engine Journal
- SEO is a Zombie! The Ultimate “SEO is Dead” (or Not) Resources List: 1997 till Infinity, SEOptimise
- First Annual Digital IQ Rankings Released: 100 Public Sector Organizations For Social Media Savvy and Online Strategy, ResourceShelf
- What Does Real Social Media Success Look Like?, Online Marketing Blog
- Delicious Founder Secures Funding for Something Even Tastier, mashable.com
- How the C.I.A. Perfects its Social Media Monitoring Technologies, Forbes
Video, Music & Image Search
- Don’t Search For Oreos On Google Images, You Might Get Naked Girls, Search Engine Roundtable
- Review: Logitech’s Revue with Google TV has potential, but isn’t for everyone (yet), VentureBeat
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- (10 Reasons to Have a) Social Media Response Triage Flowchart – Aside from the ten reasons, I just love the response chart included in this article. Really good guide for organizations on handling different types of situations — good and bad — in social media. I'm gonna put parentheses around the "10 reasons" part because I think the chart is the focus here.
- Your Landing Page Sucks! Here are 10 Examples That Don’t… – Landing pages are an essential part of any conversion process, but sadly most of them are terrible, and designers are often unaware of how they should create a landing page that will perform well.. This post shares 10 examples that follow the principles of conversion centered design. They can be use for inspiration for the destination pages of all your inbound traffic (social, email, banner and PPC campaigns).
- Adwords Contextual Targeting Tool Review – Google makes it easier to create contextual campaigns…this post takes you "step by step" through the process.
- Google Places Now Requiring New “Places Profile” For Reviews – Google has now implemented a new, limited review profile called a “Places Profile” that allows reviews to be shown but requires a new, quasi private profile with at least a public nickname to proceed.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.