SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 25, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google+ Is Slowly Invading Google’s Main Search Results
Google+ content is slowly — but very surely — expanding its footprint inside of Google.com’s main search results. The latest integration comes via the rel=author tag that Google’s been supporting since the summer. Mike Blumenthal tipped us to this latest change, which may (or may not) still be in testing. Here’s how it works for [...]
- User-Centered Or Usage-Centered Design: Which Is Better For SEO?
When creating a search-engine friendly website, do you follow the principles of user-centered design, usage-centered design, or both?
- The Big Roundup: Finding Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals & Specials
We’re already well into Black Friday. In many US stores the frenzy began last night at 10 pm or midnight (as opposed to the normal 4 am door-busting start time). People barely had time to overcome the sleep-inducing effects of L-tryptophan before getting out into the melee. And the word “melee” aptly describes the scene [...]
- A Beginner’s Guide To Setting Goals In Google Analytics
When I first started using Google Analytics, my “goal” was to not run away screaming. The intense amount of information, seemingly disconnected, made understanding what I needed so overwhelming. In my last article,we talked about the basic reports you should watch as a beginner. This week, we’re going to work on how to make Google Analytics [...]
- SEOnomics: A New Way Of Thinking About SEO For Business
SEOnomics (pronounced ‘see-oh-nomics’) is a term I conceived to meld SEO with economics, but in a style and fashion not usually covered by traditional SEO experts. SEOnomics interweaves elements of SEO (especially Web Analytics), buyer psychology and business administration to positively impact the economics of a business. When businesses move online, they need to migrate [...]
- Google + Thanksgiving Day TV Commercial
Google aired a 90 second TV commercial on Thanksgiving Day during the Lions/Packers Football game. The commercial highlighted some of the features of Google +, focusing on the circles and hangouts features – but mostly on circles. The goal of the commercial was to communicate how Google + enables you to share as you would [...]
- Harness the Power of Facebook, Twitter and Google+: SMX Social Media Marketing – December 5-6 in Scottsdale, AZ
Drive new traffic to your site. Secure more conversions. Retain existing customers. Manage your company’s reputation and customer service. Social media networks provide the means; you need to master the platform. At SMX Social Media Marketing, you’ll learn free and paid marketing tactics, as well as best practices for maximizing your company pages on Facebook [...]
- Happy Thanksgiving Logos From Google, Yahoo, Bing & More
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Below is a collection of the 2011 Thanksgiving logos and themes from the search engine industry. Including Google’s logo , which went live a couple days ago, and logos from Yahoo, Bing, Dogpile, Ask.com, and others. Today will be a light coverage schedule on Search Engine Land. Enjoy the day and [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- A plea for a better Google Docs, GigaOM
- SPH sues Yahoo for copyright infringement, ZDNet Asia News
- Max Mosley sues Google in France and Germany over ‘orgy’ search results, The Guardian
- Yandex Becomes Default Search Engine on Windows Phone, Yandex
- 7 Of Our Best Link Baits So Far According To StumbleUpon Hits, seoco.co.uk
- Using Emails to Build Links – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google releases Street View for its Mountain View HQ, The Sociable
- Google Places "Share An Update" Broken, Search Engine Roundtable
- Microsoft Tellme is NOT the same as Siri , www.techau.tv
- The Best Facial Hair In Marketing Is…., koozai.com
- Video: Google Panda 3.1, Bing Search Update & Yahoo Site Explorer Dead, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- How Automated Evaluations Might Help Decide Upon Rankings for Search Results at Google, SEO By The Sea
- Introducing SEOmoz’s updated Page Authority and Domain Authority, SEOmoz
- 6 Steps to Making Your Infographic Work, SEOgadget.co.uk
- Has Google just patented behavioural quality signals?, econsultancy.com
- Social Engagement is the Way Forward for SEO, ProBlogger
- ABC’s of SEO: M is for Multilingual, Site Visibility
- Google AdWords AdWords Account Development Help Contest, Search Engine Roundtable
- UK adCenter Miffed about Matching Series – Part 2: Understanding Negative Keywords for Paid Search Success, adCenter Blog
- Essential Business Blog Marketing Tips with SEO & Social Media Optimization, Online Marketing Blog
- Google+ and What it Means for Your Business | Social Media Examiner, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Why joining Google Plus will kill your business, Search Engine People
Video, Music & Image Search
- Webmasters Noticing Google Images Better At Removing Stolen Images, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Analytics, German Customer and Extra Privacy Statement Requirements, www.webanalyticsworld.net
- Will Google Analytics Real Time Reporting Really Change the Way You Work?, Search Engine People
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- The Meta Description Tag – Have you written off the meta description tag? Don't. The meta description matters, just not the way you think it does.
- 6 Steps to Making Your Infographic Work – SEOgadget's Oli Archibald discusses a methodology to reduce teh risk associated with infographics based linkbuilding.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.