SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 30, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Caffeine Now Live On One Google Data Center
As expected the Google Caffeine index is now live on one Google data center. Note, it will not be added to more Google data centers until after the holidays.
As I reported at the Search Engine Roundtable, Matt Cutts of Google confirmed that the IP 22.214.171.124 is hitting the data center that is running the [...]
- Bid Management Automation Basics: No Excuses!
Here, in the Paid Search column, there’s been a lot of talk of bid management tools and strategies for using them. Some of the uses of these tools can get pretty advanced. But in the real world you can do better with pretty basic bid automation strategies.
Many people are afraid or skeptical of campaign automation [...]
- Arrêtez Google!: EU Reportedly Developing Joint Alternative To Book Project
According to Reuters, French Culture Minister Frederic Mitterrand said the European Union intends to develop a plan to offer a public and pan-European alternative to Google’s book scanning project. The French, among others, filed formal objections and opposition to the Google Book Search settlement with the court in New York this past September.
An amended settlement [...]
- Two Essential Search Channels To Boost Holiday Sales
Here are a couple important areas for Industrial Strength search marketers to focus on right now, both of which are feed-based: Google Product Search and Yahoo! Paid Inclusion. Below I outline why these channels matter more than ever this holiday season, and how they can help you capture substantial traffic and sales. Google Product Search [...]
- Register for SMX West Today! Best Rates Expiring Soon
Is search marketing is your livelihood? Your passion? Your future? Then come to Search Marketing Expo – SMX West for compelling content and industry connections that are certain to make you a more effective, inspired and employable internet markter. Join us for SMX West in Santa Clara, CA, March 2-4.
Register for SMX West now [...]
- News Media: Don’t Give Google The NoIndex Finger
Discussing/insulting newspaper business models is all the rage these days. Danny Sullivan has had some choice words for the whole “let’s give Google the noindex finger” thing and a few weeks ago Chris Silver Smith offered some SEO advice for local newspapers. Given how on-trend the subject is I thought it might be [...]
- Google Explains Importance Of Spam Free Web Sites
Google has written two spam related posts over the Thanksgiving period on the Google Webmaster Central Blog tackling the issue of comment spam.
The first post focuses on the futility of comment spam, saying:
At best, a link spammer might spend hours doing spammy linkdrops which would count for little or nothing because Google is pretty good [...]
- Search: Where Does It Go from Here?
If there’s one thing that both Google and Microsoft agree on, it’s that search isn’t solved yet. Google’s vice president of search product and user experience Marissa Mayer has said:
We’re all familiar with 80-20 problems, where the last 20% of the solution is 80% of the work. Search is a 90-10 problem. Today, we have [...]
- Analytics, PPC & SEO: So Happy Together
“Search is the world’s largest focus group.” A while ago, someone said this to me (I can’t remember who, but buy yourself an eclair if it’s you: you’ve earned it), and it struck me as pure brilliance. We tend to get so focused on the challenge of showing up in search results that we [...]
- Happy Thanksgiving & Snoopy Logo At Google
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, we will likely not be writing much here today. But I did want to share with you, like I did at the Search Engine Roundtable, the various logos we have from Google, Yahoo, Ask, Bing, AOL and others in the search engine industry.
- Try Google’s New 3 Pane Look
That new Google look that’s being tested, that we covered last week in our Google Tackles Its “UI Jazz” Problem, Tests Streamlining Search Options Feature post? Now you needn’t just read about it. You can try it out yourself!
Google Blogoscoped has code that you can copy and paste to make it happen. Check it out, [...]
- Oh Say Can You See Ask.com’s Irrelevant Ads Showing On Google?
I said from time to time, I’d highlight some bad search results I come across. Here’s a killer — a top ranking for us national anthem on Google that when you click on it brings up random web sites that have nothing to do with the song. Behind the scenes, there’s an Ask.com connection. Let’s [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Protecting You From Spam, One Message at a Time, ymailblog.com
- Your thoughts on waving so far, Google Wave Blog
- Google Translation Bar, Google Operating System
- AOL’s Armstrong Orders Up News That’s Automated And Advertorial, paidContent.org
- Google backs bid to restore trust in ads, The Guardian
- Why Google Will Buy Milo.com, MediaPost
- Facebook Follows Google to Data Center Savings, Data Center Knowledge
- Leaders from Google, AT&T to attend White House summit, Reuters
- Exclusive: Digg Steals A Google Exec As New VP Product, TechCrunch
- Google’s Free Stuff Could Bombard Us With Ads, Newsweek
- Search for Google ends in Karnataka, The Times of India
- The Fall and Rise of Media, New York Times
- Yahoo Mobile Head David Ko Takes Over Audience Job Too (But Mobile Product Development Moves Under Balogh), AllThingsD
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Search by voice: Now in Times Square!, Official Google Mobile Blog
- Google Maps Bug Disables Searching My Maps for User Created Content, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google-Aided Bow Hunter Has Quite A Deer Tale, NPR
- Google Maps Navigation comes to the UK!, Electricpig
- 10 Link Building & Tracking Tools for SEO, Online Marketing Blog
- Relationship Between Link Growth And Indexation, Natural Search Blog
- Why link building may not work, Best SEO Blog
- Xenu’s Link Sleuth – More Than Just A Broken Links Finder, SEOmoz
- Holiday savings with Checkout, Official Google Blog
- Public Transit Google Search Leads Teacher to Porn in Class, Search Engine Roundtable
- Top Bing Searches in 2009, Bing Search Blog
- Scarcity, SEO, Integrity and Lemons, SEO Contrarian
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: November 27, 2009, Search Engine Roundtable
- What are some running gags at Google?, YouTube
SEO & SEM
- Awesome AdWords Flowchart to Check PPC Performance, SEOptimise
- Google Launches Rich Snippets in the UK, BigMouthMedia
- The Content Pyramid, David Naylor
- Your SEO Investment has No Calendar!, CanuckSEO
- Major Google Search Thanksgiving ’09 Update? Caffeine Related?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Rich Snippets Now in Google UK & Other Non-US Properties, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to borrow relevance from authority pages with 307 redirects, sebastians-pamphlets.com
- SEO Management – What makes for a good SEO Manager?, seogadget.co.uk
- A journalist’s guide to SEO, Econsultancy
- Are you just following your competitors?, Search Engine Guide
- Brand bidding strategies in search engine marketing, Bruceclay.com.au
- Breadcrumbs: Everything About Breadcrumbs & SEO, Search Engine Journal
- How to Exploit Personalized Search For SEO, AIM Clear Blog
- How Your Landing Page Can Affect Quality Score, Search Marketing Standard
- Un-Google Yourself, Wired
- What to Do When Your Search Rankings Drop, ProBlogger
- Facebook Talking to Developers About New Plans for Its Virtual Currency, Inside Facebook
- Shots Of Facebook’s Upcoming Redesign In The Wild, With A New Emphasis On Search, TechCrunch
- Twitter Japan to introduce payment model, Media.asia
- “Misunderstanding”: Twitter Japan Now Says There Won’t Be A Subscription Model, TechCrunch
- We need: A programmable Twitter client, rssCloud Blog
- Facebook page marketing tips, BlogStorm
- Gangs in New York talk Twitter: Use tweets to trash-talk rivals, plan fights, nydailynews.com
- More On Seesmic’s Vision of Programmable Twitter clients, Loic Le Meur Blog
- Study: Males vs. females in social networks, Royal Pingdom
Video, Music & Image Search
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.