SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 9, 2012
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- China Blocks Google Search, Gmail, Google+, Maps & More
TheNextWeb reports China has decided to block Google services. Currently, Google search, Gmail, Google Maps, Google Docs, Google Analytics, Google Drive, and other Google products are currently not working when trying to access them within China. TheNextWeb received confirmation from Google that China is indeed blocking their services. This is happening during the 18th Party [...]
- Of “Magic Keywords” & Flavors Of Personalized Search At Google
When is personalized search not personalized search? A recently discovered shift on how Google may alter your search results based on what you — and others in aggregate — previously have searched for may have you wondering how to answer that question. To understand the latest development, I think it’s helpful to go back and [...]
- How Does Color Usage Affect SEO & Conversions?
Many search engine optimization professionals have different interpretations of the term search-engine friendly website design. Learn how color affects your SEO efforts and conversions.
- Search In Pics: Google Chains, Google Drive On Wheels & Android Birthday Cake
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more. Google Chains: Source: Google+ Google Drive On Wheels: Source: Google+ Android Birthday Cake: Source: Google+ Mozilla [...]
- Mesothelioma, Asbestos, Annuity: Google’s Most Expensive Keywords
Markus Allen posted, what will be, a monthly report documenting the most expensive keywords you can by on Google AdWords. Leading that keyword list this month, according to the Google AdWords Keyword tool include keywords in the category of mesothelioma, asbestos, annuity and auto donation. For example, [mesothelioma settlement] goes for $142.67 and [auto donation] [...]
- E-commerce SEO Using Schema.org Just Got A Lot More Granular
Ramanathan V. Guha of Google announced on 8 November that, effective immediately, e-commerce schemas from the GoodRelations project have been integrated into schema.org. This vastly increases the number of schema.org classes and properties available for e-commerce websites. Put another way, this means that webmasters can now provide Google, Bing, Yahoo and Yandex with much more granular [...]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Marketing Biz: Foursquare Ratings, Universal Analytics & Death Of A Salesman
- Study: iPad Controls 98 Percent Of Tablet Web Traffic
- Affiliate Management: Things To Do In Q4 To Prepare For 2013
Search News From Around The Web:
- Disavow Tool Not Working? Google Says You’re Doing It Wrong, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Link Removal Scam Going Around, Search Engine Roundtable
- Turning old & existing content into new links, Skyrocket SEO
- Unnatural Link Schemes You Should Avoid, Business 2 Community
- Bing A Look Back: Election Week 2012, Bing Search Blog
- Video: Google Panda Refresh #21 & PageRank Update, New Google Navigation & Link Removal Scams, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- How I Hijacked Rand Fishkin’s Blog, DEJAN SEO
- 3 Ninja PPC Techniques to Help Retailers Get Ready for Cyber Monday, Search Engine Watch
- 4 Fast Ways to Kill Your SEO, Practical eCommerce
- Can Author Rank or Other Social Network Rankings Get You Crawled First?, SEO By The Sea
- Duplicate Content Uncovered, State of Search
- How I Disrupted Poet Dylan Thomas’ First Page Dominance, Search Engine Journal
- How to do Awesome SEO Keyword Research for a Large, Templated Site, Search Engine Watch
- No, Content is Not the Only Way – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.