SearchCap: The Day In Search, October 13, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Facebook On Social Search: ‘We Want To Work With Everybody’
That was a statement Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg made in response to a question at the end of the Bing-Facebook press event today. He expressed openness to working with others (read Google or Yahoo) as a philosophical matter. I followed up with Brett Taylor, Facebook CTO and former Googler, about Zuckerberg’s remark.
I said to him: […]
- Google Revamps Link Reports In Webmaster Tools
The Google Webmaster Central Blog announced they have updated the link reports within Google Webmaster Tools.
The new reports show you three things in general:
The domains linking most to your site
The pages on your site with the most links
A sampling of the anchor text external sites are using when they link to your site
You can […]
- Bing, Now With Extra Facebook: See What Your Friends Like & People Search Results
At long last, Facebook’s social data is coming to search in a big way. Bing is now making use of it to show new “Liked By Your Friends” matches and Facebook-powered people search results. The move offers a huge amount of promise, and perhaps gives Bing a edge that Google can’t quickly replicate. But at […]
- Live From Today’s Bing/Facebook Announcement
We’re here at Microsoft’s Mountain View campus, waiting for new news from Bing and Microsoft. I’ll be liveblogging the event; Greg Sterling is sitting next to me ready to provide the color commentary, and Danny Sullivan has written an in-depth analysis of the new features that we’ll link over to as soon as the embargo […]
- Ready For PPC Remarketing? 4 Questions To Help You Get Started
Time? Money? Can you afford to waste either? Probably not, especially if you’re a B2B marketer. But you could end up wasting both if you don’t ask the right questions before you launch your remarketing campaign.
Much like the hottest new toy for the holidays, remarketing via PPC is a new AdWords offering that everyone […]
- Bing (+ Facebook) Event Later Today — And We’ll Be There
As you’ve no doubt already seen, Bing is holding an event at Microsoft’s Silicon Valley Campus at 11:30 Pacific/2:30 Eastern. Microsoft’s Qi Lu will be speaking and Facebook will be there.
There should be some interesting news coming out of the event and we’ll be in attendance to report and “live blog” it here. The event […]
- Google Search Share Up After Instant, Yahoo Down After Bing Transition
comScore has released its latest search share figures to analysts. UBS is first out of the gate to report them. In the wake of Google Instant, Google is once again gaining share, after several months of slight decline. Meanwhile after months of gains, Yahoo drops after becoming “powered” by Bing.
To be clear, UBS itself doesn’t […]
- Brand Challenges & Opportunities With Social Media & Mobile
Headaches for brands—and the people who manage them—are increasingly common when it comes to search results. More are on the way thanks to social media and the proliferation of smart phones. You should be aware of the impact on your brand because both social media and the use of smart phones to express […]
- ChaCha, The Tortoise Of Social Search, Keeps Plugging Away
ChaCha, which was one of the early Q&A or social search sites, is something of a survivor. It started out in late 2006 audaciously challenging Google with chat-based human-powered search and then reinvented itself in 2008 as a mobile site, with voice and SMS search. Repeatedly dismissed and even ridiculed it has defied critics and […]
- Yahoo Returns To No. 2 Video Site, Ahead Of Facebook
Facebook’s tenure as the number two video site in the U.S. was short-lived. According to the latest comScore video rankings, Yahoo returned to second place in September after Facebook held the spot in August.
Here’s the chart for September:
Video viewing overall was down slightly in September in the U.S.
- Google Maps & Earth Add New Imagery … From A Kite
Despite the march of progress and technology, sometimes humans just do it better. That’s the lesson to be learned from Frank Taylor, who’s in the middle of a five-year sailing trip around the world, and whose photos from the journey are being picked up by Google and added into both Google Maps and Google Earth. […]
- Google’s Marissa Mayer Checks In To New Location & Local Role Within Company
Bloomberg reports Google’s popular Marissa Mayer, VP of search products, is switching roles and moving into location and local services.
Marissa is responsible for what you see today at Google.com. She is responsible for pretty much all the user interfaces tested, deployed and torn down on Google’s various search products, including the most recent Google […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- New Yahoo! Groups Experience Preview, Yahoo! Groups Blog
- Making sense of Google’s seemingly kooky concepts, The Associated Press
- Big media wants more piracy busting from Google, CNET News
- Microsoft Bing partners with Alibaba’s Taobao search engine, news.idg.no
- NBC, Google Abort TV Ad Sales Pact, paidContent.org
- Shedding Light on Search Statistics, Yahoo Search Blog
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Amazon iPhone app now supports barcode scanning for price comparison, AppTapper
- FourSquare Co-Founder Sees Credit Card Links, More User Rewards in the Future, DailyFinance
- Real-Time Info: Foursquare Check-In Map, ResourceShelf
- The world as the eagle and the wild goose see it, Official Google Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- Ad Serving Now Shifting to adCenter, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- Instant Search, an Optional Feature in Google Chrome, Google Operating System
SEO & SEM
- Why Keeping That Old Domain is Important, Cshel
- 7 Fixes to Communication Problems with SEO Clients, SEO.com
- AdWords Customer Asks Google For More Exclusions Control, Search Engine Roundtable
- Are You Making One of These Common SEO Mistakes?, blueglass.com
- Can You Lose Your Job If Your SEO Doesn’t Translate To Conversions?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Chinese Web Sites Back Infected Google’s Search Results?, Search Engine Roundtable
- How long should my SEO contract be?, Vertical Leap Blog
- Image (Not Rankings) Matter in SEO, Search Engine Guide
- Lessons Learned and Action Items from the Search Marketing Expo (SMX) East 2010, Maine SEO Blog
- PPC Preparation for Christmas, Vertical Leap Blog
- SEO is not a one-time thing, hugoguzman.com
- Which types of Webmaster Tools errors should I report to Google?, YouTube
- New Official Facebook Stats Show More Sharing Per User, Inside Facebook
- #100%, Official Twitter Blog
- Twitter: Archives: Twapper Keeper Passes One Billion Archived Tweets , A Very Useful Service and the Price is Right (Free)!, ResourceShelf
- Why Most People Fail in Social Media, Techipedia
Video, Music & Image Search
- Back-to-Basics: Non-Brand Keywords, Google Analytics Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
And, they want it in writing and guaranteed. Or the SEO is banished from the kingdom
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.