SearchCap: The Day In Search, October 28, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Fall In Line: Understanding SEO’s Place In Company Ecosystem
We’ve all been there. Heck, many of us are still there right now. We come to work every day, game to do whatever it takes to “move the needle”. You know the importance of your SEO work to your company’s bottom line, so your head is constantly down to get things done.
This often means pumping [...]
- How To Maximize Your Trade Show Investment Via Search Marketing
For B2B companies, exhibiting and participating in trade shows can be a significant expense. TradeShow Handbook estimates that the average cost of exhibiting at a show is $10,000. This might be an underestimate if you bring in a full team of sales and marketing personnel to work the show. You can use this online trade [...]
- Use Transient PPC Campaigns To Support Branding Efforts
In today’s real-time brand management world, separate teams often control strategy and channel tactics for SEO, PPC, public relations, online reputation management and social media. In many cases, however, out-of-box thinking and creative silo-breaking to cross traditional boundaries can yield sweet marketing fruit.
Today I’m going to explore the systematic use of paid channels like [...]
- Yahoo Search Adds Google Profiles & Content To Search Filters
If you search on my name and location, [barry schwartz, ny], in Yahoo Search, you will see a Google Profile matches and other related content from Google within Yahoo’s new search format.
Notice the Google filter on the left hand side:
When you click on the Google button, you are taken to results only found on Google.com:
- Live Blogging Yahoo Investor Day 2009
It’s Yahoo Investor Day, where Yahoo is briefing institutional investors and financial analysts on the company. I’m here for the morning portion, and I’ll be live blogging out of it. You can also watch the live web cast here.
Carol Bartz, CEO, on stage. Saying thing they have great opportunity. Lots to fix. Low return. [...]
- Disruptamundo: Google Adds Turn-by-Turn Navigation To Mobile Maps
I hate the word “disruptive,” as it’s often used in the internet world, because it’s something of a cliche. But I use it here because the new Navigation for Google Maps for Mobile will in fact be — disruptive.
On Monday we covered Google Navigation, the then rumor, asking “Will A Free Google GPS Sink The [...]
- Find Similar Images Now In Google Image Search
Six months ago, Google released an image search labs project that allowed you to search by similarity within image search. Google announced that they have promoted that labs project as a default feature in Google Image Search.
Now when you search on Google Images, you may often find a link under the image that says, [...]
- Diller Says He’s Willing To Sell Ask.com
Barry Diller, CEO of IAC — the parent company of Ask.com — said today that he’s willing to sell the struggling, fourth-place search engine. His comments came during a conference call with investors after IAC reported its 3rd quarter earnings.
“We’ve been asked a lot whether we’re open to consolidating transactions in the area of [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Farewell to MSN Direct, in 2012, techflash.com
- Google Groups is Dead, John Resig
- Time Spent On Yahoo Homepage Up 20 Percent Since Redesign, TechCrunch
- Facebook challenges financial regulators: FINRA, Reuters
- Google’s Eric Schmidt on What the Web Will Look Like in 5 Years, Read/Write Web
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Maps to Fix One Web Box Result Bug, Search Engine Roundtable
- Stalqer Peers Into Your iPhone For A New Level Of Location-Based Creepiness, TechCrunch
- iWeavr: Look for Related Pages and Backlinks, Search Engine Journal
- Link Building Techniques & Tips, David Naylor
Paid Search & Contextual
- Promoted Videos crosses the Pacific Ocean: now live in Japan and Australia, YouTube Biz Blog
- Asynchronous requests with the BulkMutateJobService, AdWords API Blog
- Coming soon: Filter more categories, Inside AdSense
- Happy Birthday, Digital Advertising!, Ad Age
- How to get one-on-one time with an AdSense account rep, JenSense
- Yahoo To Launch Real Time Search, Too, TechCrunch
- Custom Feeds: A New Prototype from The New York Times with Human Generated Metadata (No Kidding!), ResourceShelf
- Google Monkey Splits Google SERPS into Columns, Search Engine Journal
- Google Releases New Google Mobilizer, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Bad Architecture and Band-Aid Solutions, Michael Gray
- Google Base/Merchant Feeds Temporary Processing Error, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Brand-Jacking in AdWords Ads?, SEO Book
- Google News Finance Optimization, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google To Update Webmaster Tools API Verification Tag, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Do You Like Your Email Marketing?, outspokenmedia.com
- Hunkering Down for the Holidays, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- The ‘Vince’ update unravelled: does Google recognise brand equity? (pt 1), econsultancy.com
- What should I do if I don’t know why I’m penalized?, YouTube
- Should You Hire a Social Media Intern?, 10e20
- Twitter investor: ‘We didn’t need the money’, CNET News
- Exclusive: New Digg Voting Feature To Launch (Screenshot), TechCrunch
- My Treadmill Is Twittering! The Next Frontier for Connected Devices: The Gym, newteevee.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Product Ideas for Google Images now open, Google Product Ideas
- Dave Goldberg and Bob Roback Launch Dashbox, Music Middleman Web Service, AllThingsD
- It’s a Full Moon for Bing Today, Bing Search Blog
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.