SearchCap: The Day In Search, October 4, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Twitter’s Promoted Accounts Now Live
As was rumored last week, Twitter has formally introduced its latest advertising option: Promoted Accounts.
Promoted Accounts will show up in the “Who to follow” section of a Twitter home page, and is fully algorithmic in deciding when and which promoted accounts to display. According to the company’s announcement, what and when you might see promoted [...]
- How To Get Around Google Local’s 7-Pack Without Breaking A Sweat
Damn that Google! Just when you figure out how to rank for a great keyword, Google decides that keyword has strong “local intent” and pops up a 7-pack of local business listings at the top of the SERP. And if you are not one of those seven businesses, you are indeed screwed.
There are [...]
- Ev Williams Steps Down As Twitter’s CEO, Dick Costolo New CEO
Evan Williams (@ev), the founder and CEO of Twitter has announced he is stepping down as the CEO. Dick Costolo, Twitter’s current Chief Operating Office, and the former CEO of Feedburner (which was acquired by Google) and former Group Product Manager at Google is now Twitter’s CEO.
Ev said he will be “completely focused on [...]
- Google TV Comes With Twitter, Netflix & More
The Internet is buzzing about the latest Google announcement about Google TV. Google shared with us their content partners for Google TV and their new web site for Google TV at google.com/tv.
The content partners and providers include Twitter, Netflix, the New York Times and USA Today, VEVO, Pandora and Napster, blip.tv and their very [...]
- Hot At Sphinn: Selling Domains, SEO Hats, E-mail Marketing & More
Selling domain names, black hat SEO vs. white hat SEO, and Sphinn itself were the topics that drew the most comments over the past week on our sister site, Sphinn.com. YouTube embedding, e-mail marketing, and Yelp were among the most popular stories among Twitter users.
With a lot more content being published on Sphinn’s home page, [...]
- Consistency Is King In SEO
In SEO, the small stuff truly matters, and consistency is especially powerful. At the enterprise level things like page titles, internal links and duplicate content may seem almost trivial compared to the overall complexity of the site. But they are hugely important, and when well-optimized in sum can literally make or break a site’s SEO [...]
- Five Killer Paid Search Reports
If you’re a typical marketer, you probably spend three to four days per month reporting. You need to make the most of that time, or reduce it by a day, or your personal ROI—the contribution you make to your company’s or client’s results—goes down! Do everyone a favor and stop drowning yourself in meaningless data. [...]
- “Free Isn’t Free”: Microsoft Trying To Make Android More Costly With Patent Suit
News broke yesterday that Microsoft was suing Motorola for Android-related patent infringements. Microsoft said in a blog post that its patents cover a range of software functions used by Android devices (presumably this would apply to the iPhone as well):
The Microsoft innovations at issue in this case help make smartphones “smart.” Indeed, our patents [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Surface computing augmented reality = Microsoft LightSpace, m.zdnet.com
- Follow Gmail on Twitter, Official Gmail Blog
- Tim Armstrong Is "Definitely" Interested In AOL-Yahoo – Source, Business Insider
- The convergence of Google, government and privacy, O’Reilly Radar
- Eric Schmidt: Google’s Policy Is To "Get Right Up To The Creepy Line And Not Cross It", businessinsider.com
- How Facebook Can Become Bigger In Five Years Than Google Is Today, TechCrunch
- NSFAOL: Highlights From Yesterday’s Secret “Welcome To AOL” Meeting, TechCrunch
- Breaking: Yahoo’s Jimmy Pitaro Lands Digital Co-President Job at Disney With Playdom’s John Pleasants, AllThingsD
- Google’s CEO: ‘The Laws Are Written by Lobbyists’, The Atlantic
- Exclusive: Yahoo’s David Ko to Head Mobile at Online Gaming Powerhouse Zynga, AllThingsD
- Google’s speed need: ‘instantaneous Internet’, San Francisco Chronicle
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Old News But Interesting News: Merchant Circle Pays $900,00 To Settle Alleged Unlawful Marketing Practices, Mike Blumenthal
- Google QR Codes Working Once Again, Mike Blumenthal
- Find Local Businesses with AOL Search, AOL Search Blog
- Locksmith’s Are Mad as Hell -Sues AZ Attorney General to Enforce Law, Mike Blumenthal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google Instant and Special Characters, Google Operating System
- Talk to Wolfram|Alpha in TeX, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- More details on Google Editions, TeleRead
SEO & SEM
- How Google Might Automatically Insert Links to Google Maps in Web Pages, SEO By The Sea
- Duplicate Alternative Text For Same Image Considered Spam?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google’s Add / Submit URL Form Goes Offline, Search Engine Roundtable
- October 2010 Google Webmaster Report, Search Engine Roundtable
- Why does Google give SEO advice?, YouTube
- LinkedIn Signal = Exploratory Search for Twitter, thenoisychannel.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Release Notes: Seven new languages, four new countries get partner program, and lots more…, YouTube Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Is “Instant” Search Instantly Valuable? – Now this is my kind of coverage. From all the many Google Instant posts there were EVERYWHERE, it's by far more interesting (to a geek like me) to see how the IR world looks at it all. A must read for the geeks
- The curious case of a Facebook fake: How sham online profiles fooled American spies and British soldiers alike – A security researcher has infiltrated the highest levels of America's intelligence agencies using nothing more than Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and a picture of a pretty woman.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.