SearchCap: The Day In Search, October 5, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- SMX East 2009 Day One Live Blogging
Day one of the SMX East 2009 show is just about done. Here is some of the live blogging coverage from the day. If I missed any, please comment below with those I missed.
Amazing PPC Tactics, BruceClay.com
Duplicate Content on Google, Bing & Yahoo, WebProNews
Live: Actionable PPC Insights From Analytics Data, Search Engine Roundtable
- Canonical Tag 2.0: Google To Add Cross Domain Support
Many site owners have wanted the recently introduced canonical tag to work across domains. Now their wishes will come true. Google announced cross-domain support will come by the end of the year.
The news came out during the Duplicate Content: The Search Engines Edition session at SMX East conference today. Google made the announcement in response [...]
- Google AdSense Brings Full Ads To iPhone, Android & Pre
The Google AdSense blog announced that sites designed specifically for full-rich mobile phones, such as the iPhone, Android or Palm Pre can now show high-end contextual ads.
The blog said:
Today we’re launching a new feature for AdSense mobile publishers that will allow you to take advantage of the high-end mobile phone browsing experience. This feature offers [...]
- Google Betting Big On Mobile Ads
The NY Times offers an interesting article this morning, profiling Google’s efforts around mobile AdSense and display advertising on smartphones. It’s equally a profile of some of the people who work on the teams behind those efforts. The article is as much about process and Google’s culture as it is about mobile advertising:
On Tuesday, Aug. [...]
- 9 Tasty Tips For Ecommerce SEOs
Step right up fellow search marketers, and get your tasty tips for ecommerce right here! I have to admit, my favorite number is “9,” so this list is already my favorite.
The below tips are especially for search engine optimizers (SEOs) actively working in the ecommerce field. Hopefully you can make use of these, and maybe [...]
- Where Is The Competitor To AdSense In Local Search?
Co-opitition is a fairly common occurrence in the local search biz. A lot of the big yellow pages publishers have access to a lot of advertisers but they don’t always have the right mix of traffic. While it’s no small feat to sign up a dentist in Pleasanton, CA, it’s just as hard to get [...]
- How To Ask A Google Engineer For SEO Help
Search conferences are an excellent opportunity to connect personally with representatives from Google, as well as Yahoo and Bing, for advice and assistance with SEO issues. With our SMX East search engine marketing conference starting tomorrow in New York, I thought it was a good time to list my personal thoughts [...]
- Google CEO Eric Schmidt On Newspapers & Journalism
Is Google a newspaper killer? Not by a long shot, says Google CEO Eric Schmidt. Nor does he want it to be. In a long interview about his company’s relationship with newspapers and the print journalism industry, Schmidt made it clear he wants established players to survive. In fact, he thinks Google [...]
- Is Google Testing New Ad Unit Tied To Place Pages?
There was intrigue and some interesting discussion last weekend around the question of whether Google was actually indexing its newly launched Place Pages despite a statement that it would not. It appeared that there was some inadvertent or “unintended” indexing that apparently went on. However, today a new wrinkle: we were notified by David Naffziger [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Gmail Messages with Enhanced Content, Google Operating System
- Gmail, Now With Favicons, TechCrunch
- Why You Haven’t Got Your Google Wave Invite Yet, jessenewhart.com
- Breaking: Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online, www.neowin.net
- Fast, simple and now stylish: Google Chrome with Artist Themes, Official Google Blog
- Antitrust lawyer Gary Reback, Mercury News
- Bret Swanson: Google and the Problem With ‘Net Neutrality’, Wall Street Journal
- Kai-Fu Lee Talks Up His Post-Google Plans, gigaom.com
- Schmidt: Google-Apple board member should stay put, Reuters
- Split attention, NY Post
- FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials, FTC
- FTC Says Bloggers Must Disclose Payments, Wall Street Journal
- Google to Announce Third Quarter 2009 Financial Results, Google
- Teaming up with Adobe and the Open Screen Project, Official Google Blog
- U.S. Internet Ad Revenues Decline 5.3% In First Half 2009, TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Helping the victims of Tropical Storm Ketsana, Official Google Blog
- T-Mobile to Launch Samsung’s Google Phone, gigaom.com
- Wolfram|Alpha Officially Announces New Web Site for Educators and Students; Plans for "Homework Day" Webcast Also Released, ResourceShelf
SEO & SEM
- Better Google Support, Google Operating System
- 5 Incentives you can use for Online Marketing, SEOmoz
- Google Geo Targeting Some UK Sites to France?, Search Engine Roundtable
- October 2009 Google Webmaster Report, Search Engine Roundtable
- Social SEO & Channels of Distribution, Online Marketing Blog
- Uncrawled URLs in search results, YouTube
- Kevin Rose Accidentally Announces Digg’s Upcoming iPhone App, Read/Write Web
- Twitter Should Decentralize (And Make Money) Via Twitter Server, TechCrunch
- Ad Networks On Edge As Facebook Shuts Down Developers, All Facebook
- How Happy Are We?, Facebook
- Is Google a Social Media Company?, Search Engine Watch
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.