SearchCap: The Day In Search, October 7, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Offers A Proposal To Make AJAX Crawlable
It’s one of the most common pieces of SEO advice you’ll find: Don’t build your web site with AJAX if you want it to be crawled and indexed by search engines. AJAX-based web sites are essentially a locked and bolted door when a spider comes crawling.
At our SMX East conference today, Google has announced a […]
- SMX East 2009 Day Three Live Blogging
Day three of the SMX East 2009 show is over and the conference sessions are now complete. Here is some of the live blogging coverage from the day. If I missed any, please comment below with those I missed.
Facebook Marketing Tactics, outspokenmedia.com
Live: Bringing PPC In House: How To Be Successful, Search Engine Roundtable
- Reviewing Some Bad Google Search Results With Sergey Brin
After today’s Google search press briefing, where I raised the issue of some poor quality search results in Google at one point, Sergey Brin asked me to demonstrate a few. My pleasure! Below, what we reviewed and comments from Google’s cofounder.
First, I showed him the results for search engine on Google that I joked about […]
- Bing’s New Mobile Voice Search Available On New Samsung Phone
The Bing Search Blog has announced a new mobile voice search capability that competes with, and even one-ups the more well known mobile voice search tools from Google.
The Bing voice search tool has three capabilities:
search Bing by speaking a query
dial a contact’s phone by speaking the number
compose a text message by speaking it
As eWeek’s Google […]
- Live Blogging: Sergey Brin & Eric Schmidt Talking Google With The Press
Google cofounder Sergey Brin and Google CEO Eric Schmidt spoke today to a small gathering of reporters at Google’s New York office. Below, a live blog of the briefing.
Note that I’ve tidied this up a bit since the briefing happened at 11am Eastern time. You’ll still find plenty of typos. I may try to pull […]
- 5 Tips To Boost B2B Lead Gen & Thought Leadership Efforts With Search
Business development is the life blood of any professional services firm, be it accounting, law, or architecture. Yet fostering new business relationships is far from easy for them. Given that, many often generate leads by positioning themselves as thought leaders. Fortunately, search can help boost these efforts.
Search can enhance your thought leadership efforts by helping […]
- A Practical Guide To The New AdWords Interface
There’s no going back for me now, I’ve made the compulsory switch to the new AdWords interface. While I have my gripes, there are also some useful new features which can help in-house search engine marketers save time and streamline account management tasks. The real question is, do the improvements outweigh the loss of some […]
- Google Barcode Logo Celebrates Anniversary Of Barcodes
No, Google is not for sale. (At least as far as we know.) That barcode logo on the Google home page and its search results pages is in honor of the 57th anniversary of the barcode being patented: October 7, 1952 to Norman Woodland and Bernard Silver.
If you’re thinking that Google’s really upped its pace […]
- Google Passes 71% Market Share In Latest Hitwise Survey
Google accounted for more than 71% of US searches in September, according to the latest Hitwise survey.
While Google’s market share continues to rise slowly, both Yahoo and Bing lost ground in September — down 3% and 5%, respectively. Those searches went to Ask.com, which gained 8% during the month.
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Buying or selling SEO links? Look at the trouble you’re causing, econsultancy.com
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdWords Downtime: October 10th, 10am-2pm PDT, AdWords API Blog
- Google AdWords API v2009 Goes Offline, Search Engine Roundtable
- Some Google AdSense Publishers Cannot Login To AdSense, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google’s Abandoned Library of 700 Million Titles, Wired
- Online Database (Beta): FoodEssentials.com Informs You About What Your Eating, ResourceShelf
- Quickly view formatted PDFs in your search results, Official Google Blog
SEO & SEM
- Reunifying duplicate content on your website, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Header Tag Sculpting – An SEO Content Theory from an SEO Lamp, The Search Agents
- Revealing a competitor’s long tail SEO success, BlogStorm
- SEO Cheat Sheet: Anatomy of A URL, SEOmoz
- Which is better: an HTML site map or XML Sitemap?, YouTube
- Announcing SEOmoz’s Guide to Social Media Marketing, SEOmoz
- Possible Facebook design refreshment in the works?, thenextweb.com
Video, Music & Image Search
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.