Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, September 16, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Yahoo Previews “Rich, Immersive” Search Experience
Yahoo previewed a new search experience that’s coming this fall during its Yahoo Product Runway event this morning. The event focused on several Yahoo products, and included a sneak peek at what Yahoo calls “rich, immersive” search results in the news and entertainment niches.
The Yahoo Search Blog gives a hint at what’s to come, using […]
- If Future Employees Compromise Privacy, Don’t Expect Google To Tell The World
Earlier this week, news broke that a Google employee had been fired in July for accessing the private information of a few individuals without permission, in violation of Google’s policies. Isn’t that something Google should be reporting itself, I wondered? It makes sense to me, but don’t expect Google to do so.
Google already reports aggregate […]
- Webcast: Yahoo Search, Product Previews
Although Bing is now powering Yahoo search, Yahoo has promised to continue developing new experiences in its search experience. That’s expected to be one of the focuses of “Yahoo! Product Runway,” an event that begins shortly at the company’s Sunnyvale campus. (Yahoo Mail and the Yahoo.com home page are also on the agenda.)
Yahoo’s Chief Product […]
- UK and Europe PPC Advertisers: Special Webcast for You, Tuesday
Next Tuesday, Sept. 21, Search Marketing Now presents a special webcast for our friends across The Pond: “Managing PPC in the UK and Europe.”
This webcast, which features Andy Atkins-Krüger of WebCertain, will take place at 4PM Greenwich Mean Time (11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific.) Andy will delve into what search marketers need to know about […]
- Not Sure What To Do About Google Instant? Stop The Insanity!
We’ve all been abuzz over Google Instant. I’ve seen some ridiculous articles written on the subject – some are claiming that it’s the “death of SEO”, and have read some very insightful articles on it. There still seems to be a big question that is hanging out there – “Great new feature! So… what are […]
- Google Announces New Reseller Program
Google’s new Director of Global SMB Reseller Partnerships, Todd Rowe, announced a new reseller program and a reorganization to support it along with a partner council at the BIA/Kelsey Directional Media Strategies 2010 Conference in Dallas, Texas.
I live blogged the session entitled “Google’s Latest Word on Local”, and in it, Todd Rowe announced the new program […]
- Yahoo-Bing Stat Fight: Nielsen Says “Oh Yes They Did,” comScore Responds “Oh No They Didn’t”
How can Nielsen say Bing has overtaken Yahoo while comScore reports that Yahoo grew and leads Bing by more than 6 points? Someone is right and someone is wrong.
Here is the Nielsen data from earlier this week, showing Microsoft/Bing overtaking Yahoo:
And here is the August comScore data (reported by Citibank):
Google: 65.4% (down from 65.8% […]
- Live Blogging BIA/Kelsey’s DMS ’10 Conference – Day 3
Google’s Latest Word On Local
This session is of particular interest since it involves word from Google’s Todd Rowe, Director of Global SMB Reseller Partnerships, and changes to Google’s reseller deals in the past year have affected many partners among the yellow pages and directories industry. Live blogging here at 8:30 AM, CST. Keep refreshing to […]
- Google Rises & Yahoo Declines In “Best Global Brand” Report
Interbrand released their best global brands report of 2010 and your favorite search engines are all on it.
Microsoft is ranked number three, Google is ranked number four and Yahoo is ranked number sixty-six. Coca-Cola and IBM are ranked number one and two, respectively.
While Microsoft’s rank remained the same from 2009 to 2010, […]
- Watching The Democrats & Republicans Go At It, Twitter-Style
On the Daily Show earlier this week, Jon Stewart did a funny takedown of the White House and the Republicans having a back-and-forth on Twitter. But while the conversation was real, hunting it down to see it yourself an ordinary Twitter user is pretty tough.
Replies Vs. Mentions
The problem is due what I call “manual replies,” […]
- Skyhook Wireless Sues Google: You Lie About Android “Openness”
In a lawsuit that will be closely watched Boston’s Skyhook Wireless has sued Google for patent infringement and interfering in its business relationship with Motorola. Skyhook’s principal business is providing location to third parties through the use of cell tower and WiFi location databases often referred to as “triangulation.”
Skyhook’s system and technology is widely used […]
- How Will Google Instant Change SEO & Paid Search Advertising? Find Out At SMX East
Search engine marketing changes constantly. Sometimes in an instant. Look no further than the introduction last week of Google Instant. Read selected coverage from Search Engine Land here.
And there’s no better place to learn how this evolution of Google will affect your paid search advertising and SEO than at Search Marketing Expo – SMX East, […]
- PPC Testing Part 2: Optimization Cheat Sheet
If you’ve been reading this column this year, you know that I have repeatedly pushed you to regard your campaigns as being in a continuous testing environment. Frankly, if you just load up some keywords and put down your credit card there’s a good chance you might just waste your money. Successful paid […]
- Bing Promises “More Beautiful” Search In IE9
During today’s launch of the IE9 browser beta today, the Bing search team previewed some of the new features that will be available in the browser via HTML5 — calling it a “more beautiful search experience.”
In a blog post today, Bing discussed things like an animated home page that shows full motion images, smoother transitions […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- New Look for Google Docs Viewer, Google Operating System
- Yahoo Chief slams Apple’s iAd, Reuters
- Yahoo Loses Another Long Time Exec: SVP David Ku, TechCrunch
- Exclusive: MySpace and Google Zero in on Renewing “Realistic” Search Deal, AllThingsD
- Google Voice Founder Resigns, Joins Google Ventures As EIR, TechCrunch
- What’s the risk if Google fails? A real world example, econsultancy.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Bing Maps Goes Mobile – For Free, Bing Maps Blog
- Imagery of Four Mile Canyon fire in Boulder, CO, Google LatLong
- LASIK Surgeons No Longer Considered "Excessive" On Google Places, Search Engine Roundtable
- Windows Phone 7 Showcased in Bing Ad, Softpedia
- 4 Valuable Link Building Services (Zemanta, MyBlogGuest, EightfoldLogic & Whitespark), SEOmoz
- 44 New Link Building Resources: the "Blunted Anchor Text" Edition (9/10-9/16), ontolo.com
Paid Search & Contextual
- Small Business Essentials Series: Finding the Right Keywords for Your Business, adCenter Blog
- YouTube Homepage: Promoted Videos advertisers can get it while it’s hot, Inside AdWords
- Google’s Instant Search Ends Its First Week: Lots of Attention But It Still Needs Work and the Technology Is Not The Biggest Concern, ResourceShelf
- History: A National Archives (U.S.) Database Adds New Records: "World War II Escape and Evasion Reports Are Now Available Online", ResourceShelf
- New Online Searchable Database From the Federal Communications Commission: FCC License View, ResourceShelf
- New: AIDSinfo Mobile from National Library of Medicine/HHS Now Available, ResourceShelf
- Online Databases: Updated Statistics: Basic Stats from Crime in the USA, 2009 Report, ResourceShelf
SEO & SEM
- Does your SEO get lost in the translation?, Search Engine Guide
- Holiday Preparation Series: Travel PPC Insights and Optimization Tips (U.S. Market), adCenter Blog
- Introducing Merchant Center Shipping Settings Internationally, Google Merchant Blog
- SEO Hosting, don’t lose your rankings!, yoast.com
- What’s that SEO Worth to You?, Search Engine Guide
- 6 Steps To Raise Your Quality Score, PPC Hero
- 9 easy tips to jump start your SEO copywriting strategy, SEO Copywriting
- Google’s Site Performance Report Slow To Update (Last Update: September 1st), Search Engine Roundtable
- LDA correlation 0.17 not 0.32, SEOmoz
- The Long Tail is Alive, Small Business SEM
- What Can You Do With A Keyword Domain?, Daily SEO Tip
- Developer Release, joindiaspora.com
- Hunch launches Partner Platform for personalization; 7 inaugural partners represent 250 million monthly unique visitors, Hunch Blog
- Koprol crosses half-million users mark, e27
- LinkedIn’s CEO on the perks to keeping profiles fresh, CNET News
- The real Facebook burglaries story, BuzzMachine
- The Very Last Thing I’ll Write About Twitter, Alex Payne
- Twitter Permissions & Security, oneforty devblog
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube Video Search Stops Working Temporarily, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Why We React Strongly When Web Sites Change – "When Sphinn Editor-At-Large Danny Sullivan announced Sphinn Says Goodbye To Voting, reaction wasn’t long in coming—much of it negative. Was Danny prepared for the backlash? Yes. But what about the hostility? What could have possibly warranted that?"