Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, September 17, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Schmidt: Someday, AdSense Publishers May Know Google’s Cut Of Ad Revenues
How much money does Google keep back for itself from the AdSense ads it places on third party sites across the web? Right now, most publishers don’t know. But that might change in the future, says Google CEO Eric Schmidt.
AdSense is largely a black box for publishers. They agree to carry ads from […]
- Bing Plans “Instant Answer” Result For 61st Emmys
According to a post on the Bing Community blog, Bing should be your first stop for Emmy updates, starting now, leading up to the broadcast on Sunday, September 20th on CBS. A query on Bing for “Emmy Awards” and searches related to the Emmys will produce an Instant Answer result like this:
For now, you’ll see […]
- Don’t Miss Online & In-Person Networking at SMX East – October 5-7
We’ve already highlighted the exceptional content and highly qualified presenters at SMX East. But there’s another aspect of the show that is just as important and valuable – networking. And with more than 650 companies sending delegates (so far), there are lots of people to network with!
Keep reading to learn more about the networking opportunities […]
- Yahoo Quietly Adds Top Queries & URLs To Site Explorer
I noticed this morning that Yahoo has added a new feature named “Top Queries” to Site Explorer. I have not seen any announcement from Yahoo on this addition, but it seems pretty new. The tool shows you the top ten queries by day, week or month. It also shows you your top […]
- Liked That Special Google Logo? New Tool Lets You Make It Permanent
There is a new greasemonkey script made for Firefox that allows you to pick any past Google Doodle and make it permanent. The script can be located over here and like I said, requires Firefox and having Greasemonkey installed.
Once you install the script, you should go to Google.com and see the Google Lego logo. […]
- Report: eBay Drops Yahoo Search Ads For Google
The Rimm-Kaufman Group reports eBay has quietly dropped Yahoo in place of Google to power the paid search ads on eBay.
Mark explained that over the past several months, eBay has been testing Google ads on about 1% of the ads shown on eBay. On August 26th, he said, eBay “flipped the switch” […]
- Clicker: More Than Just A Video Search Engine
It may have a search box and look like a video search engine but Clicker is not according to CEO and co-founder Jim Lanzone. In a way this may seem like a strange position to take given that Lanzone was the very partisan CEO of search engine Ask. But while Clicker does index video it […]
- Would Your Company Be A Good SEO Client?
Organic links – the ones that just happen are typically driven by things like public relations, brand awareness, unique content, existing exposure, and social networking. In competitive markets, some aspects of the evolving SEO field should be baked into the core of the company’s DNA. When you get interviewed, you have to know to […]
- Online Video Must Differentiate From Television
eMarketer recently published an article titled The Online Video Advertising Picture Clears Up which forecasts that online video advertising will represent 4.3% of online spend and 1.6% of television advertising spend this year, growing to 11% and 5.5% respectively by 2013. While these figures seem small, to achieve them requires 30% to 40% […]
- Do A Google Search From Yahoo.com? Maybe…
Is it possible that, say a couple years from now, you might visit Yahoo.com and its Bing-powered search engine, but actually search Google, instead?
It seems so. PaidContent reports on Yahoo’s appearance Wednesday at the 2009 Deutsche Bank Technology Conference, where Burke Colligan, a senior director for Yahoo Front Doors — the company’s user experience group […]
- Google’s Schmidt To Book Settlement Critics: What’s Your Solution?
As the proposed Google Book Search lawsuit settlement is debated, I’ve read calls from various critics that everything should go back to “square one” for a solution. Would Google be willing to do this? Google CEO Eric Schmidt says he’s open to ideas, but none of the critics are putting forward […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Delivers New Java-like Language: Noop, eWeek
- Microsoft hopes Bing will increase Silverlight market share, Ars Technica
- Twenty is a nice round number, Microsoft Translator Official Team Blog
- Yahoo Plans to Expand Upgraded Email in Asia, Europe, Wall Street Journal
- The Man Who’s Beating Google, Forbes
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Discover new places with related maps, Google LatLong
- Google Maps glitch tags shops with rival phone numbers, The Register
- Link Buying: the Good, the Bad, & the Ugly, SEO Book
- Our Stance on Paid Links & Link Ads, SEOmoz
Paid Search & Contextual
- Does AdWords differentiate keywords by capitalization, underscores, or apostrophes?, Brad Geddes
- Google AdSense Locks Down Publisher Accounts For Manual Review, Search Engine Roundtable
- Magazine Reading and NY Times Has "Skimming" Prototype, ResourceShelf
- Near-instant book printer adds Google Books titles, CNET News
- Now Live: Stephen Wolfram’s Q&A Webcast, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Online Database/Lists and Rankings: 50 Richest Members of Congress and a Few Databases, ResourceShelf
- Online Database: Footnote.com Providing Free Weekly Updates to Social Security Death Index (SSDI), ResourceShelf
SEO & SEM
- Google Video Sitemaps | What Are They and How to Create One, Bruceclay.com.au
- Adding Search to Your Marketing Mix, Search Engine Guide
- Bing Masking MSNBot Under Mozilla’s UserAgent & Reverse IP Fails, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Says Pages That Validate Do Not Get Ranking Boost, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Showing Weird Title for Wikipedia Article, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Google & StopBadware.org Handle Hacked WordPress, andybeard.eu
- Perfect SEO Costs Extra, Search Engine Guide
- Spanish Site Clinic now live, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Tools Outage, Bing Webmaster Blog
- Twitter adds more Nofollows and robots.txt, David Naylor
- Why Some Weak Sites Rank High in Google SERPS, Search Engine Journal
- WordPress SEO: How to Choose a Permalink Structure, Michael Gray
- Phone Calls Come to Twitter., thenextweb.com
- Social Media Tips For Optimizing Time Spent By Marketers, Online Marketing Blog
- Social Networking: U.S. Government: Top 10 Agencies with the Most Facebook Fans, ResourceShelf
- Source: Insight Venture Partners Is The New Twitter Investor, TechCrunch
- Don’t Rely on Conversion Rate Alone, Conversion Room
- Press Release: 2009 Most Trusted Companies in Privacy, www.truste.com