Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, September 26, 2008
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on
Search Engine Land and from other
places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Search In Pictures: Yahoo Grenoble, Google Lego Drive & Google Chess
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more….
- Online and In Person Networking At SMX East
We’ve been writing about the SMX East content and keynotes lately. There’s another aspect of the show that is just as important and valuable – networking. And with more than 600 companies sending delegates, there are lots of people to network with! Keep reading to learn more about the networking…
- Watching The Presidential Debate? Use New Twitter Election Site To Share What You Think
Twitter announced the launch of Election 2008 on Twitter. The mashup brings together all US political discussions around the 2008 elections from Twitter. For example, I twittered, “Will McCain do the debate? Honestly just testing election.twitter.com” and it showed up seconds later on election.twitter.com….
- Search Stats You Need to Know & The Bible of the Search Industry
In The Trenches is a weekly spotlight of tips, tricks, and news about the tools search engine marketing professionals use to give them a leg up on the competition. Today: news from the search engines, today’s in-depth look: search stats you need to know (August 2008), not-so-light reading: the…
- Google Adds Traffic Data To Google Maps UK
Google Blogoscoped reports Google has added traffic data to Google Maps UK. The traffic results can be seen if you search for london and click on the “Traffic” button at the top right….
- Cool (or Cuil) Still Has To Play By The Rules
I recently did an opening keynote down in Silicon Valley and before my audience got well into their first cup of coffee, I started ranting at them. Now, being Canadian, my rants are rather mild and non- threatening (although I apparently scared a lot of Aussies at SMX in…
- Welcome New Search Engine Land Editors!
The Search Engine Land team is growing. We’ve gained two new editors this month, Matt McGee and Elisabeth Osmeloski, plus Melissa Cormier came on as our editorial assistant in August. Below, an update on the entire team, and what we each do….
- Solid SEO Starts With A Solid Business Model
Bob Massa, one of the original SEOs (though I don’t think he likes to be referred to with that label), always talks about SEO from a conversion standpoint, offering quotes like “traffic without conversions is the epitome of futility.” The SEO space is a bit crowded right now. So…
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Memory exhaustion DoS vulnerability hits Google’s Chrome, ZDNet
- The Best Gmail Error Message, Google Operating System
- Coming soon: Changes to the spreadsheets interface, Official Google Docs Blog
- More Languages in Google Translate, Google Operating System
- comScore Veroffentlicht Deutsche Search Rankings vom Juli 2008, comScore
- Interview: Yahoo’s Schneider And Walrath On APT: Winning The Display Game, paidContent.org
- Yahoo: Collins Stewart Says Fundamentals "Deteriorating", Barron’s Online
- IAC spent $154,000 lobbying in second quarter, Forbes
- Myth-busting and the Yahoo!-Google agreement, Yodel Anecdotal
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Building Virtual Earth Applications for iPhone, Virtual Earth, An Evangelist’s Blog
- Google Map Maker launched to 17 more countries in Asia, Google LatLong
- Google’s End Run Around the Wireless Carriers, TechCrunch
- Local Traffic & Road Conditions Improvements, MapQuest Blog
- Google Maps Hijacking: Listings still in Maps, Mike Blumenthal
- When will ROBO’s Time Come?, Search Engine Watch
- Tellme for iPhone due by June, Yahoo! News
- Micro-Site Strategy for Link Building and Brand Awareness, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Popular adCenter Help topics: contact support, find your ad in search results, and editorial guidelines , adCenter Blog
- Google Messes Up AdSense Exchange For Indian Rupee, Search Engine Roundtable
- The Google Search Advertising Cartel, SEO Book
- Why Don’t My Google Ads Rotate Evenly?, Search Engine Roundtable
- AdSense ads must be vetted by publishers, says ad regulator, OUT-LAW.COM
- Study: Obama Leads In Web Traffic, McCain In Paid Search, MediaPost
- Are Your Headlines Eye-Grabbers?, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- Lucy’s final tips for Friday newbies, Inside AdSense
- Using Dynamic Keyword Insertion Properly Is An Art Form, PPC Hero
- Google Pushing Book Search Results in Web Search Results?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Gamers Paradise: Video Game One Clicks, AOL Search Blog
- Open for SEO Business / Joining Search Engine Land, Small Business SEM
- The Future of SEO is the Death of SEO, Bob Massa
- Bigmouthmedia wins Search Campaign of the Year at OMMA Awards, BigMouthMedia
- Lisa’s Final Friday Recap, BruceClay.com
SEO & SEM
- Matching Your Online Brand to your Offline Brand, BruceClay.com
- Google on Tag Clouds in Search Results, Search Engine Roundtable
- Whiteboard Friday – Corporate Blogging Tips, SEOmoz
- Common Problems with 404 Error Pages, Search Engine Watch
- Domain Diversity in Google SERP’s For Breaking News, Wolf Howl
- Why Twitter Needs to Do More, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
- The Universal Mastery of Video Content, Search Engine Watch
- FeedBurner May Not Be Hearing Your Pings, Read/Write Web
- Now it’s easier to delete accounts, Google Analytics Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Matt McGee: Open for SEO Business / Joining Search Engine Land
- The Ultimate Guide to Selling a Website on eBay
- How friendly will a URL ever be?
- Scott Hendison Releases SEO Automatic: Awesome Free SEO Tool
- Welcome New Search Engine Land Editors!
- Lisa Barone: A Report on Blogging
- Social Media : 2 Crazy Monkeys and a Clever Fox
- Top 10 Signs That Your Online Marketing Has Hit the Wall
- How to Run Your SEO Business from the Thought Leaders of SEO
- Addicted to Social Media?