SearchCap: The Day In Search, September 28, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- How You Can Build Links Easily With Product Reviews
The art of building links to increase search rankings has been a big topic in the SEO community for a long time. This always seems to be the topic of discussion at the Search Engine Optimization meetings I attend each month. Everyone seems to be looking for the latest and greatest ways to increase in-house [...]
- Amazon “Fire” Android Tablet Undermines Google
Amazon’s new “Fire” Android tablet is an incredible act of audacity that thumbs its nose at Google, while using Google’s mobile OS in the background. Nowhere does the Google or Android brand appear on the device. Amazon has even created its own browser (“Silk”) for mobile web access. Fire is an Android tablet without the [...]
- A Holiday & Seasonal Event-Driven Link Building Primer
With the holiday season fast approaching, let’s run through a quick event-driven link marketing strategy primer, with a few examples. For this column, I’ll focus on the most basic of event-driven link marketing techniques. With this technique, you get out your calendar, look a few months ahead to see what’s coming, then look for ways [...]
- SMX Social Media Marketing Agenda Now Available – Super Early Bird Rates Expire Next Week!
The SMX Social Media Marketing agenda is now posted! Check out the full agenda and register before Super Early Bird rates expire next week, October 8th. Attend SMX Social Media Marketing December 5-6 in Scottsdale, AZ and get expert insights and real-world-proven tactics that yield results instantly…and continue delivering for months and years to come. [...]
- Ex-Burglars Believe Google StreetView, Facebook, Twitter & Foursquare Used To Plot Crimes
There have been many stories in the past of criminals (of one sort or another) using Google, Foursquare and Facebook to target people who many not be home or, in the case of Google Earth and Street View, which homes to target. A recent survey of 50 convicted burglars by UK security firm Friedland Response [...]
- Google Takes Top Floor In Silicon Roundabout & Builds Three Data Centers In Asia
Google boosts London’s Silicon Roundabout from BBC News reports Google has signed a ten year deal to lease the entire top floor of the seven floor building in what is known as the Silicon Roundabout. The Silicon Roundabout currently has about 300 firms in the area and it is located in the Old Street area [...]
- A Revamped Delicious Increases Imagery & Adds “Stacks”
Back in May, the social bookmarking site Delicious was purchased from Yahoo! by AVOS (a company led by the founders of YouTube) and innovative features were promised for the community. Yesterday, the newest version of Delicious launched, with quite a new look: The new look Delicious features many enhancements, including stacked bookmarks (called “stacks”) and [...]
- Larry Page: Biggest Threat To Google? “Google”
It’s the Google Zeitgeist conference, Google’s big event for major partners and advertisers. Last session of the event? A talk with Google CEO Larry Page and chairman Eric Schmidt. Here’s my live blog, ending with the Page’s answer that Google has nothing to fear but Google itself. Larry says he hopes everyone is inspired by [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Dynamic Views: seven new ways to share your blog with the world, Official Google Blog
- Google Reader, Replaced by Google Sites in the Navigation Bar, Google Operating System
- Regulation hinders Google’s FTTH progress, totaltele.com
- Google wants to protect Android plans in AT&T case, Mercury News
- Yahoo Cofounder Jerry Yang "Has Re-assumed Command", Business Insider
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Places: What does the “new” Business Permanently Closed process look like?, Mike Blumenthal
- Monetizing games with In-App Payments, Google Code blog
- Conquer Link Directory Best Practices for SEO, SEOmoz
- Effective Link Building Using Event Blogging, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Can’t Find YouTube Earnings In Google AdSense? Check Payments Details, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Instant Tweaks, Google Operating System
- Google Product Search In UK Showing Too Many US Stores?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Updates The Time Rosh Hashanah Starts, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Hosting Webmaster Hangout Thursday, September 29th, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Tips from the Editorial Team: Avoiding Account Closures in Microsoft Advertising adCenter, adCenter Blog
- Accidental Noindexation Recovery Strategy and Results, SEOmoz
- Canadian Google AdSense Publishers Get Paid Wrong Amount, Search Engine Roundtable
- SEO Shortcuts Take You Nowhere Fast, Search Engine Journal
- Top 10 Retail SEO Mistakes UK Brands Are Still Making, SEOptimise
- Why Add Video Marketing To Your Online Strategy? — Part 3 “Optimization Tips”, Search Marketing Standard
- 8 Characteristics of Effective Social Media Campaigns, Search Engine People
- It’s now easier to set up Google Analytics Site Search tracking for your Custom Search Engine, Google Custom Search
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Discussion: Is Digg Relevant To You As a Marketer? – Over the years, Digg has been a huge target for marketers because of its ability to drive exposure to content — exposure that typically resulted in both traffic and links. But Digg has evolved over the years and doesn't seem to have the same cachet it used to have (at least in my opinion). In our "Discussion of the Week," we want to know: Does Digg have any relevance to you today from a marketing perspective? Is it still capable of driving traffic and links like it did years ago? Or, is it yesterday's news? The floor is open!
- Display Network Best Practices – Good tips on how to properly structure and optimize display network buys.
- YouTube Case Study: Ceilume’s “Ask the Ceiling Tile Guy” – Ceilume’s YouTube channel was created on April 25, 2008, and the first video, “Ceiling Tiles – How to Replace,” introduced Davis as the “Ask the Ceiling Tile Guy.” Uploaded on June 16, 2009, the video now has more than 57,000 views.
- Top 10 Retail SEO Mistakes UK Brands Are Still Making – Kevin Gibbons shares the top 10 replies to the question "What SEO mistakes are retailers still making?"
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.