SearchCap: The Day In Search, September 6, 2013
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing To Include Local Product Inventory In Search Results
Yesterday Microsoft and Local Corporation announced a deal in which the latter’s Krillion local product database will be provided to Bing for display in search results. Local Corp. will supply in-stock product data from a range of mostly national-local retailers. The list of participating retailers includes BestBuy, Costco, Express, Fry’s, Home Depot, Kmart, Lowe’s, Nordstrom, Orchard […]
- Google Logo Celebrates Hull House Founder & Nobel Peace Prize Winner Jane Addams
Today’s Google logo celebrates Jane Addams, a woman of many disciplines, including social worker, peace activist, settlement house founder, suffragist and author. Included in her extensive list of accomplishments, Addams was the first American woman awarded a Nobel Peace Prize. The Google logo illustrates Addams’ civic-minded roles, highlighting Hull House, a settlement house co-founded by […]
- Segmenting Your Paid Search Program For Improved Manageability
Most direct response marketers either need to meet a given efficiency goal (CPA, ROAS, etc.) or get the most of the budget available — or both combined. The budget and efficiency goals typically vary over time for lots of different reasons, such as seasonal trends and promotion periods, and you need to quickly toggle from […]
- SEO Checklist For Startup Websites
Startups have a lot going on. Staffing, outreach, overhead, paperwork, development, testing, financing — and that’s just before lunch. Regardless of the industry, startups are by their nature volatile businesses that are stuck bootstrapping much of the heavy lifting early on in their lifecycle. While entrepreneurs are experts in their given fields and may even […]
- Google’s Inadvertent Plan To Withhold Search Data & Create New Advertisers
How do you convince a bunch of publishers to buy ads on your service? If you’re Google, how about withholding data from those publishers about how people are finding their sites, as a way to drive them into your ad system? I don’t think Google planned for this to happen. But that’s the end result, […]
- Google To Extend “Top Search Queries” Data In Webmaster Tools From 90 Days To One Year
Data telling publishers the top terms being used to find their web sites will be available for up to one year in Google Webmaster Tools, rather than the current 90 days, Google has said. The news came in response to an article today on Search Engine Land covering a conflict between Google limiting the time period […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Yahoo Issues First Transparency Report, Shows 42% Of All Data Requests From U.S.
- Google AdWords’ Breakthrough Feature Makes Offline Conversion Optimization A Reality
- Mobile Email Opens Hit 50%, iPad Drives Most Mobile Email Transactions [Report]
- July Mobile Data: Apple Gains, Google Top Mobile Site, Facebook Top App
- KAWO Lets Brands Share Facebook & Twitter Content With China’s 560+ Million Internet Users
- You Don’t Have To Be Big To Do Social Right!
- Kenneth Cole’s Syria “Boots” Tweet Causing Another Social Media Storm
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google Penguin 2.0 Poll: Only 7% Fully Recovered, Search Engine Roundtable
Local & Maps
- Apple Maps Is the 10th Most Popular Mobile App in the U.S., applemapsmarketing.com
- Bing Maps Publishes 13 Million Square Kilometers of Imagery, www.bing.com
- Local Search: Why It’s Not Working, Wired
SEM / Paid Search
- Google Adwords Launches Offline Conversion Tracking, atticusmarketing.com
- 20 Awesome Adwords Tips From the Global Top PPC Experts, indiumonline.co.uk
- Bing Ads and You: Bing Ads Excel Add-In, Bing Ads
- Business Owners, What Google Wants You to Know About Hidden Text and Keyword Stuffing, authoritylabs.com
- Did Matt Cutts Say +1s Don’t Lead to Higher Rankings?, www.highervisibility.com
- Vanity Check: “Keyword Intelligence Tools”, seogadget.com
- Weighting the Clusters of Ranking Factors in Google Analytics – Whiteboard Friday, moz.com
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.