Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Yahoo & Microsoft, Blekko Now At IBM & Link Spam Analysis
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Moz Open Site Explorer Adds Spam Analysis For Risky Links
Popular SEO tool software company, Moz, launched a spam analysis feature within their link analysis toolset.
- 10 Practical Tips For Using Geo-Location To Reach Your Target Audience
Geography plays an important part in creating customized and targeted marketing campaigns, and columnist Wesley Young lays out ways in which local search marketers can use geolocation to their advantage.
- Renegotiating Search Deal, Yahoo And Microsoft Extend Deadline
Negotiations likely to yield new terms for Search Alliance.
- The Missing Link Building Tip For Local SEO
Links have become increasingly important for local search since Google’s Pigeon algorithm update, but columnist Greg Gifford reminds us that local link building tactics differ from “traditional” ones in important ways.
- Authorship Is Dead; Long Live Authorship
Google’s authorship program may be over, but columnist Eric Enge notes it’s still important to work on building authority.
- Goodbye Blekko: Search Engine Joins IBM’s Watson Team
Quiet for nearly two years, Blekko’s home page says its team and technology are now part of IBM’s Watson technology.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Acura Targets Millennials With #ILX2016 Social Media-Based Music Campaign
- Amazon Launches Home Services, Potential Challenger To Yelp, Google & Others
- Mobile Email Conversions Jump 70% YoY In Q4 2014 With Mobile Delivering 20% Of Email Generated Revenue [Report]
- Trada, The Google Ventures-Backed SEM Crowdsourcing Firm, Closes Its Doors
- ZenithOptimedia And NinthDecimal Partnership Proclaims Offline Visits As New Measurement Standard
- Gmail Sponsored Promotions: Everything You Need To Know To Succeed At Direct Response With GSP, Part 2
- Facebook Targeting Chinese Ad Revenue (Even Though The Service Is Blocked In China)
- Facebook’s Oculus: Just How “Disruptive” Will Virtual Reality Be?
Search News From Around The Web:
- Really, Rupert?, Google Public Policy Blog
- At Google, the Science of Working Better, Wall Street Journal
- Baidu Traffic Rerouted in Attack on U.S. Coding Website, Wall Street Journal
- Google controls what we buy, the news we read — and Obama’s policies, New York Post
Local & Maps
- A Guide to Google Mobile Local Pack Results, Local University
- How to do outreach by using LRT and Pitchbox, linkresearchtools.com
- Need Creative Commons Attribution Link on Your Site? Google’s Recommendations for Linking, The SEM Post
- Through the Google lens: Search trends March 20-26, Official Google Blog
- Answer: Discovering unusual perspectives, SearchReSearch
- Apps: The New SEO Frontier?, BruceClay.com
- 13 awesome keywords tools you for Yandex SEO success, russiansearchtips.com
- Challenges SEO Tools Can Solve – Announcing SEOToolSet 6, BruceClay.com
- Google Sending More Invites This Week to Webmaster Tools Search Impact Alpha, The SEM Post
- Google Will Slow Crawling Your Site When Page Load Is Around Two-Seconds Or Longer, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to prioritse and prepare for the mobilegeddon, State of Digital
- How To Take A Digital Break And Not Destroy Your SEO Career, SEMrush Blog
- Music SEO – 7 Lessons in Brand Optimization for 2015, Moz
- The 3 Most Important Website User Experience Issues to Fix NOW, SEMrush Blog
- The Hidden SEO Danger of Returning 404 Header Response Codes [Case Study], hmtweb.com
- The Ultimate Guide to Domain Name Extensions for SEO, ignitevisibility.com
- Why are NoIndex Tags Not Always the Best Quick Fix? – Here’s Why with Mark & Eric, Stone Temple
SEM / Paid Search
- 6 Tips For Maximizing Dynamic Search Ads, thesempost.com
- Bing Ads Trademark Policy: Market by market variations for international advertisers, Bing Ads
- Google AdWords Express Now Lets You Remove Targeted Search Phrases, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Cuts “AdWords Fundamentals” Exam Validity Period in Half, Sharp Innovations Blog
- How Do You Structure Your Ad Groups?, PPC Hero
- PPC Time Saver: Get Campaign Updates E-Mailed To You, PPC Hero