Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
The Characters In Google’s Charles Dickens Logo
Google is honoring the life of of Charles Dickens with a special Google Logo, aka Doodle, for his 200th birthday. The logo contains several characters from some of his more well known works. The characters include:
- Nell and her grandfather in the The Old Curiosity Shop
- Several characters from Little Dorrit
- Oliver and his friends from Oliver Twist
- Estella and Pip from Great Expectations
- A French aristocrat as a reference to his eventual death by guillotine.
- Ebenezer Scrooge
- And a vivid depiction of London in the background.
Mike said that while he normally works on his tablet, he had to go back to a physical drawing board for the Dickens doodle, creating each character separately so that he could place them within different parts of the Google logo. Like an engineer, he likes to iterate on what he designs until he gets it right.
You can learn more about the creation of this Google logo at the Google blog.
Charles Dickens died at the age of 58 on June 9, 1870 at Gad’s Hill Place, Higham, Kent, England. He was married and had ten children.
Other Google Logos:
- Google Logo For Largest Observed Snowflake
- Google Blackens Its Logo To Protest SOPA/PIPA, While Bing & Yahoo Carry On As Usual
- Google Honors Martin Luther King Jr. Day With “I Have A Dream” Logo
- Google Logo For Nicolas Steno: Father Of Modern Geology
- Google Logo Honors Addams Family Creator, Charles Addams
- 2012 New Year’s Day Logos From The Search Industry
- Google’s 2011 Happy Holidays Logo: Dancing Christmas Lights & Jingle Bells
- Google Adds Christmas & Hanukkah Decorations To Search Results
- Google’s Let It Snow Easter Egg
- Google Revamps The Google Doodles (Logos) Directory
- The Robert Noyce Google Microchip Logo