Yahoo Launches Mobile-App Search (For PCs) In The UK
Over the weekend there was coverage of a seemingly new feature on Yahoo search: mobile-app search. However that actually launched in the US in the middle of last year. The recent coverage was triggered by the launch of the app-search capability in the UK, which is new.
The UI has been improved somewhat since I last looked at it. As an app search tool it’s quite nice. Neither Google nor Bing offer anything comparable in their main search engines. Of course users can search directly for Android apps in the Android Market.
Somewhat ironically one of the mobile apps that Yahoo discontinued in a recent purge of mobile products was the Yahoo mobile equivalent of app search for the PC (AppSpot). Here’s what it looked like when it launched in June, 2011:
Other mobile apps recently shuttered by Yahoo include the following:
- Yahoo Meme (iPad and iPhone)
- Yahoo Mim (iPad)
- Yahoo Answers (Android)
- Yahoo AppSpot (Android and iPhone)
- Yahoo Deals (iPhone)
- Yahoo Finance (BlackBerry)
- Yahoo Movies (Android)
- Yahoo News (Android)
- Yahoo Shopping (iPhone)
- Yahoo Sketch-a-Search (iPad and iPhone)
The apps will continue to function but won’t be “supported” or updated, according to a Yahoo statement.
- Yahoo Shutters 10 Mobile Apps
- Yahoo Q4 Blah: Display & Search Down Slightly
- Yahoo Expands Facebook Integration To 26 More Sites
- US Mobile Ad Projections Revised Upward: $2.6 Billion In 2012
- Study: 69 Percent Access The Mobile Internet Daily
- Pew: 19 Percent Of Americans Now Own Tablets, eReaders
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
The best news in mobile marketing every Thursday.