Year Of The Hummingbird: Our Top SEO Columns Of 2013
Our All Things SEO column covers a wide range of topics within the realm of organic search, and this past year saw no dearth of material for our columnists.
Perhaps one of the most widely discussed issues within the SEO community in 2013 was the loss of keyword referral data, as Google moved to encrypt all search activity this past September. SEOs relying on this keyword data were forced to change up their tactics and adjust their strategies to accommodate this development.
Semantic search was another hot topic in 2013. Although the Schema.org initiative was launched in mid-2011, the announcement of Google’s new Hummingbird algorithm served as a wake-up call for marketers to start getting serious about structured data markup. With the search engine shifting focus away from keywords and toward user intent, understanding the inner workings of semantic search became a top priority for SEOs this year.
What other topics did search engine optimization professionals care about in 2013? Take a look at our top 10 All Things SEO columns from this year:
Top 10 All Things SEO Columns Of 2013
- Eating My (Key)Words: Changing The Way We Think About SEO – October 14, 2013, by Jenny Halasz
- 8 E-Commerce SEO Tips Gathered From A Decade Of Consulting – June 6, 2013, by Trond Lyngbø
- The SEO Guide To Getting Started With Google Webmaster Tools – March 28, 2013, by John E. Lincoln
- SEO Checklist For Startup Websites – September 6, 2013, by Ashley Kemper
- 5 Critical SEO Mistakes Leaders Must Avoid – August 1, 2013, by Trond Lyngbø
- Future SEO: Understanding Entity Search – October 7, 2013, by Paul Bruemmer
- Google Hummingbird & The Keyword: What You Need To Know To Stay Ahead – November 5, 2013, by Jim Yu
- 9 SEO Quirks You Should Be Aware Of – January 31, 2013, by Tom Schmitz
- 2014 SEO Playbook: Google Hummingbird, Content & Authority – November 7, 2013 by Tom Schmitz
- 10 Things Most SEO Consultants Hate – March 14, 2013, by Trond Lyngbø
Our columnists have done an excellent job of rounding out Search Engine Land’s news coverage with practical advice and insights throughout the year, and we can’t thank them enough for their contributions. Here’s to another great year in 2014!
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Everything you need to know about SEO, delivered every Thursday.