Google Provides FAQ About Authorship, From Blocking To No Mascots
Trying to get your head around Google authorship? The Google Webmaster Central blog has posted a new FAQ designed to provide some answers.
What Qualifies For Authorship?
What pages can have authorship applied to them? Criteria include the page actually being mostly authored by the designated author, that it carries a byline and that it’s a single article, not a compilation page of articles by the author.
No Mascots Allowed!
Think it would be funny if the Geico gecko appeared as an author in Google search results? Google doesn’t. Google “prefers to feature a human,” it says.
Pick One Google+ Profile
Think it would be cool to have multiple Google+ profiles in different languages, to link to if you write in different languages? Don’t, says Google.
One Author Only, For Now
Sorry, Google authorship still doesn’t support pieces with more than one author. Google says it’s still experimenting on how to deal with the situation of two or more.
Yes, You Can Block Authorship
Don’t want authorship to appear, which can sometimes happen even if you don’t set it up? Google reminds that you can block your profile from being used for authorship according to the instructions here.
Authorship Isn’t Publishership
Similar to the rel=author tag that Google provides, there’s a rel=publisher tag designed to help publishers identify a publication with content. But this is completely separate from authorship, Google reminds. And it doesn’t really do much, at the moment.
Authorship Isn’t For Product Listings
Sorry, even if one particular employee has worked really hard to customize a product page for retail items or perhaps for property listings, authorship is “discouraged” in these cases.
- Author Rank, Authorship, Search Rankings & That Eric Schmidt Book Quote
- No, Publishership Isn’t Coming Soon To Google Search To Join Authorship
- Google Continues To Experiment & Expand Authorship
- Google’s Matt Cutts: Web Spam Benefits From Using Rel=”Author”
- Google Authorship Beyond Webpages
- Advanced Authorship: The Deep Dive
- Google: Authorship Bug Affects “Very Few Sites,” Actively Working On A Fix
- Is Google Authorship Affecting Rankings Today?