Google Is Hiring Someone To Find Ways To Make You Want To Search While Signed-In
Google is hiring a new product marketing manager for search with one of the key goals being to find ways to get people to sign-in while they search. The job description says: As Product Marketing Manager within the search growth team, you will be responsible to developing plans, creatives, campaigns and programs to increase the […]
The job description says:
As Product Marketing Manager within the search growth team, you will be responsible to developing plans, creatives, campaigns and programs to increase the number of user’s signed in.
Brian Ussery spotted this first and posted a screen shot of the job posting:
As you know, the number of “not provided” terms listed in Google Analytics because Google is blocking the search query parameter from analytics programs has been growing and growing. Google first enabled SSL only search for signed in users then expanded it to more users. Google will likely not change their minds on providing search query data for users.
Aside from some publishers not liking that signed-in searches without search term data, some privacy groups and others may find controversy around Google encouraging users to sign-in in order to use Google search.
Being logged in ties what people search for more closely to their search queries, Google+ network, friends, purchases, internet behavior and more. Google will need to manage “plans, creatives, campaigns and programs” to convince users signing into Google is a good thing.
Google has generally said that personalization, such as being signed-in so that it can provide Search Plus Your World results, increases relevancy.
- Google To Begin Encrypting Searches & Outbound Clicks By Default With SSL Search
- 2011: The Year Google & Bing Took Away From SEOs & Publishers
- How An iOS 6 Change Makes It Seem Like Google Traffic From Safari Has Disappeared
- Happy Birthday “Not Provided” – One Year Since Google Began Withholding Search Terms
- Study: 39% Of Google Search Referrers Now “Not Provided”
- Google’s Results Get More Personal With “Search Plus Your World”
- Two Weeks In, Google Says “Search Plus Your World” Going Well, Critics Should Give It Time
- Pew Report: 65% View Personalized Search As Bad; 73% See It As Privacy Invasion
- Page To Anti-Trust Critics: “Actions” & Google+ Are An Essential Part Of Search
- Peeking Into the World Of Google’s Algorithm Changes With Google Search Quality Head Amit Singhal
- Google Expands Gmail In Search Results With My Orders, My Events & My Reservations
- Of “Magic Keywords” & Flavors Of Personalized Search At Google
New on Search Engine Land