Google Showing Fewer Than 10 Results For Some Searches?
It appears Google is testing showing fewer than the typical 10 web search results, in what might either be a test or possibly a bug. I spotted complaints in a WebmasterWorld thread where searchers were asking why is Google limiting the results for a search query on Google UK for bbc football, such as shown: […]
It appears Google is testing showing fewer than the typical 10 web search results, in what might either be a test or possibly a bug.
As you can see from the screen shot above, Google is only listing one web search result, followed by a video result and then a news result – and they are all from BBC.co.uk.
We’d previously pointed out a reply in the thread that appeared to have been from Google’s Matt Cutts saying that this was a new feature, but on a second look, this is almost certainly someone faking responses from Cutts. We’re checking with Google about that, and whether this is a test.
In the example above, for “bbc cricket,” only five web search results are shown, followed by a video result. But we haven’t been able to replicate this for other sites (such as itv football), so it might be a bug related just to the BBC site.
Microsoft Bing has done this with their form of Best Match when they first relaunched as Bing.
- Google Adds More Answers & Info To Search Results
- Google Answers Your Health Questions With Health OneBox
- Google Goes Beyond Answers, Starts Guessing Release Dates
- Google: No Longer Guessing About Celebrity Sexual Orientation
- Meet The Google OneBox, Plus Box, Direct Answers & The 10-Pack
- Google Provides Answers Your Local Search Questions
- Google Buys Metaweb To Bolster Answers, Google Squared & Rich Snippets
New on Search Engine Land