Google: That Mozilla Penalty Only Impacted One Page Out Of 22 Million
We reported yesterday that Google penalized Mozilla over user generated content. Today, we learn that it was a really, really small penalty that only impacted a single page out of Mozilla’s ~22 million webpages.
Google’s head of search spam, Matt Cutts, added more to the Google thread explaining that this manual penalty was applied in a very granular way. In fact, it only impacted a single page on Mozilla’s domain name, blog.mozilla.org/respindola/about.
Matt Cutts wrote:
In this particular case, it was the url http://blog.mozilla.org/respindola/about/ that we took action on, and that was because it was so defaced with spam comments. I checked the URL this morning and it was over 12 megabytes (!) of spam from 21,169 different comments. When a page like that lands in our search results, it’s the sort of thing that users complain to us about, so we are willing to take action.
Besides that being an incredible number of spammy comments on a single page, it is upsetting to see how confused Mozilla’s webmaster was over Google’s penalty notification. Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Google getting more detailed in their Webmaster Tools penalty notifications. But as you can see from our coverage of the penalty and Mozilla’s questions about the penalty, it appeared that this was a little larger than just impacting a single page on this massive site.
- Google Hits Mozilla With Spam Penalty Over User Generated Content
- Google Sends BBC News A Manual Link Penalty Notification
- Google Says No Comment On Why Interflora Was Penalized
- Google’s Chrome Page No Longer Ranks For “Browser” After Sponsored Post Penalty
- Google Now Reports “Practically 100%” Of Manual Actions
- Official: Google On How & When Ranking Penalties Are Removed
- Google Reminds Webmasters: Selling Links Can Lead To PageRank Penalty
- Matt Cutts On Penalties Vs. Algorithm Changes, A Disavow-This-Link Tool & More
- Got A Google Penalty? A Workflow For Managing Google Penalties
- 90 Days Later, J.C. Penney Regains Its Google Rankings
- iAcquire Banned From Google After Link Buying Allegations
- Google Eliminates Another Link Network, BuildMyRank.com – Just One Of Several?