SearchCap: Bing local search updates, digital assistants & PPC performance
Amy Gesenhues on November 28, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing local search update highlights business holiday hours in local listings
Nov 28, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Local listings display accurate holiday hours in real time.
- SEO without SERPs is here with Google Assistant, Home and Amazon Echo. Here’s how to survive.
Nov 28, 2016 by Bryson Meunier
Columnist Bryson Meunier discusses how the rise of digital assistants will impact how search engine optimization is performed.
- Are you doing attribution wrong?
Nov 28, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Nothing is more top-of-mind for marketers than attribution. It’s a complex topic, and there are lots of questions. This guide from AdRoll examines the history of attribution models and dives deep into platform data, third-party research and advertiser survey data to make the case for marketers to adopt a blended attribution model.
- PPC buyer beware: 3 seedy tactics agencies or consultants use to scare you into services
Nov 28, 2016 by Pauline Jakober
Wondering if an email or phone call from a PPC agency is legit? Columnist Pauline Jakober shares some tips for weeding out the scammers.
- How do our biases impact PPC performance?
Nov 25, 2016 by Brett Middleton
With experience comes wisdom, but columnist Brett Middleton believes that search marketers can sometimes limit themselves by clinging to old habits.
- Search in Pics: Google black friday cake, leather luggage tag & cupcakes
Nov 25, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have and more.
- Thanksgiving 2016 Google doodle celebrates holiday with American folk art imagery
Nov 24, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Google says today’s doodle is an ode to this season of togetherness.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Data: Mobile drives majority of Black Friday traffic, but PCs dominate sales
- The filter bubble: it won an election and can help you win customers
- Vistar adds first-party data to out-of-home (OOH) ad targeting through LiveRamp partnership
- How do our biases impact PPC performance?
- Pathmatics acquires WhatRunsWhere
- 10 ways to reduce SEO costs while increasing performance
- E-commerce tops $5 billion over weekend, mobile beats $1 billion on Black Friday
- AMP’s long game
- Without data, your marketing strategy won’t cut it in 2017
- 3 coupon affiliate myths it’s time to stop blindly believing
- Ad customizers just got a whole lot more powerful
- The trouble with truth
Search News From Around The Web:
- Man sues Google for $750,000 over defamatory search results, The Guardian
- Russia losing patience with Google over non-compliance with antitrust ruling, RT
- Voice search creates vulnerability at heart of Google’s business, Business Insider
- What It Means to Be A Google Top Contributor or Rising Star, Steady Demand
- How To Use Public Data Sets To Create Kick-Ass Content (And Earn TONS Of Backlinks), ahrefs.com
- Receptional’s 3-Step Check that Will Improve the Profitability of your Link Building, Receptional.com
- 56% Say You Can’t Rank Without Link Building [STUDY], Search Engine Journal
Local & Maps
- ‘Dump Tower’: Someone changed the name of Trump Tower on Google Maps, TheBlaze
- Google My Business Tests Chat Or Message With Customers Feature, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Testing New Local Finder, Search Engine Roundtable
- Bing Adds Instant Messenger & Chat to Local Business Results, SEMPost
- Video: Google EMD Hunt, ProtonMail Bug, AMP, Wix & Shabbat, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google’s AI can now lip read better than humans after watching thousands of hours of TV, The Verge
- Google AMP Snippet Banner – Lightning-Fast Experience, Search Engine Roundtable
- Spread of HTTPS-pages within the Google SERPs, sistrix.com
SEM / Paid Search
- A Guide to Google’s Responsive Ads for Display, 3Q Digital
- How To Master Bing Ads Reporting, PPC Hero
- Increase your earnings by using the right keyword research techniques, Inside AdSense
- PPC Advertising Hack: Super-Targeted Live Chat Prompts, Kiss Metrics
- Shoppers Gobble Up In-Store Black Friday Deals On Mobile, Inside AdWords
- How To Apply “Articles“ Snippet To Your Blog Posts And Make Them More Visible, SEM Rush
- Backlinks from Client Sites, Sites You Own, Widgets, & Embedded Content: How to Maximize Benefits & Avoid Problems – Whiteboard Friday, Moz
- Google Looking For Spammy Exact Match Domains (EMDs), Search Engine Roundtable
- Local business listings with Schema.org and JSON-LD, Yoast
- Shabbat Observers Worried About Google’s Interstitials Mobile Penalty, Search Engine Roundtable
- Ask Yoast: Duplicate content on LinkedIn Pulse, Yoast
- Google Changes “Submit To Index” To “Request Indexing”, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Rewrites Titles & Adds Headlines for Some Featured Snippets, SEMPost
- Google Tweaking Top News Algorithm To Filter Out Fake News?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Ranking Events in Google Search Results, SEO By The Sea
- The 10 Most Common SEO Mistakes, Search Engine Journal