SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 13, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: Google Claims Victory In French Supreme Court Keyword Trademark Case Google wrote that they were victorious in a ruling today by the French Supreme Court over trademark infringement charges brought to […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Claims Victory In French Supreme Court Keyword Trademark Case
Google wrote that they were victorious in a ruling today by the French Supreme Court over trademark infringement charges brought to them by three companies. But not everyone agrees that Google was indeed the winner here.
Today, the French Supreme Court was unequivocal in their rulings and anyone who reads them will be left […]
- 5 Things Google’s Latest Patent Tells Me About Links
Anyone with an interest in linking, link building and algorithms who hasn’t yet read the latest Google patent might want to have a look. It’s located on the USPTO database at an impossibly long URL, so here’s a shortcut: https://bit.ly/9pbQfr.
Note that this patent, while only granted a couple months ago, was filed June 17, 2004. […]
- Bing & Yahoo Search Share Up, But Google Has Little To Fear
Once again, Yahoo and Bing have gained share against Google, in the latest monthly search market share figures from comScore. However, questions remain on whether the growth from “slideshow” presentations should be counted as “real” searches. Meanwhile, on a volume basis, Google continued to grow, not drop, its market share.
comScore’s latest figures — […]
- Globalization For Small Business
Is going global too expensive or too complicated for small businesses — or is the opportunity just the same for them as huge conglomerates? Indeed, is it possible that the opportunity is relatively-speaking even greater for mom and pop than for Mr. Big Corporation?
- Bing Continues Growth, Ad Impressions & Clicks Way Up: Report
Ad impressions and ad clicks are rising steadily on Bing, while remaining flat or declining on both Google and Yahoo. That’s according to the latest quarterly report (available tomorrow) from search marketing agency Efficient Frontier. The report, which covers Q2 of 2010, also offers positive news about the overall growth and recovery of search advertising […]
- SPONSOR MESSAGE: Covario – The Leader in SEM and SEO Software and Agency Services
Covario is an award-winning, full-service search marketing firm that provides Fortune 500 companies with software and agency service solutions for paid search advertising (PPC), organic search engine optimization (SEO), display advertising and social media programs.
Get more information here.
- Five Signs Your Paid Search Manager Is An Imposter
You know the type, in any industry. Someone who talks a good game, but turns out not to be a professional? The ones who think a collection of tips from forums are equivalent to years of job experience?
In my career, I’ve had the opportunity to look into many paid search marketing accounts. Lately, I’ve seen […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Introducing our Google Fiber for Communities website, Official Google Blog
- Man Claims Ownership of Facebook, Wall Street Journal
- AOL’s Disclosure of Search Data May Support Claims Uner California Law, Eric Goldman
- Bing team: Yahoo on-track for fall, vague on profitability, VentureBeat
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Maps Reviews Removed? They’ll Come Back, Search Engine Roundtable
- Microsoft Research and NASA Release Major Update to WorldWide Telescope; Now with Mars Imagery, ResourceShelf
- Evaluating the Lifetime Value of a Link, Search Engine Journal
- Poll: How Important Is Traffic As A Link Buying Factor?, Search Engine Roundtable
- The Death of Natural Linking, Search Engine Watch
- Win the Best High Volume Links, Search Engine Watch
- Link Building With Widgets, The Link Spiel
Paid Search & Contextual
- Introduction to ReportDefinitionService, AdWords API Blog
- RT @E_Schmidt The Hilarious Story of How We Built Froogle 2.0, Search Engine Journal
- Ready Reference, Fast Facts: New & Updated Data Added to Wolfram|Alpha Database, ResourceShelf
- SEO Copywriting Certification Grad: Interview with Art Remnet, SEO Copywriting
SEO & SEM
- Checking out your competition, one SERP at a time, SEO Copywriting
- Content Farms & The Death of Remarkable Content, outspokenmedia.com
- Content Farming – SEOs Get It, Journalists Don’t, SEO Book
- Google Not Sending Referrer Data Again?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Starts Editing Drug Results, SIRENSONG
- How to Know When Your Site Needs SEO Before Social Media, Search Engine Guide
- Ideas for Writing Keyword Focused Posts, Michael Gray
- Learning from Google Webmaster Tools Caffeine data, BlogStorm
- Mark-up Your Events Online with Microformats, SEOmoz
- Top SEOs Analyze Glorified Scrapper Sites After May Day, Search Engine Roundtable
- Where you Point Your Mouse May Influence Google Search Rankings, Advertisement Placement, and Oneboxes, SEO By The Sea
- Who’s Hot, Who Not: Finding A Great PPC Team, PPC Hero
- 6 Ways to Learn SEO, SEOmoz
- Advanced SEO Tactics: Stealing Competitors Articles & Reviews?!, Hudson Horizons Blogs
- It’s Getting Personal: Making the Most of Relaxing Privacy Expectations, BruceClay.com
- Microsoft Launches Outlook Facebook Integration [Exclusive], mashable.com
- Facebook Page vs. Facebook Group – the Marketer’s Guide, blueglass.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Picasa Web Albums goes on a Picnik, Google Photos Blog
- The National Library of Scotland is Now a Member of the The Commons on Flickr, ResourceShelf
- Actionable Insights. Do They Really Exist?, Analytics Examples
- Time is on Your Side, Using Day Parts Reporting in Google Analytics to Increase Your AdWords ROI, Search Engine Journal
- Using The Wrong Tracking Code Can Cost You $500k a Year, Google Analytics Blog
- What is the best way to check your own site for keyword rankings?, YouTube
- Google Israel Wishes Naomi Shemer A Happy 80th Birthday, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- 18 Examples of Awesome Viral Linkbait – Connecting great content with it’s target audience, promoting it on the correct channels, and causing an emotional response is not easy, but can yield excellent results when executed correctly. Let’s take a look at three kinds of viral linkbait content that audiences love: Videos, Infographics and Widgets.
- How to Conduct a Link Opportunity Inventory (Plus 9 Common Link Opportunity Types) – Sometimes it makes sense to design link building campaigns around the most common link opportunities in a given market. This article provides a framework + worksheet for discovering your market's most abundant link opportunities.
- The Evolution of Ranking Signals: Google Is Getting Past the Link – OK, well I decided to drop a post over on WS on what is likely going to be a bit of a controverial topic. But as an avid search historian, from a tech perspective, it does seem we're on the cusp of a new frontier of signals beyond the reliance on links. I am certainly open to ALL input on it though. It is an interesting topic worth discussing IMO.
- Google AdWords Suicide – Inspired by the Google AdWords customer in India who threatened to kill himself if Google didn’t respond to his Google AdWords Help thread, Ian Howie gives his top 5 AdWords grievances and offers some solutions.
- Google vs. Bing Part II: Link Analysis – Anthony Verre posted part II of his series (on the Trail) looking into the differences between Google and Bing – this time it's link analysis. There is even a nice download at the end with all the data – some really good stuff here. Thanks Tony.
New on Search Engine Land