SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 25, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Facebook “Search War” With Google Mostly Sound And Fury
The people running Facebook are an ambitious crew; they see Facebook as a successor to Google in many respects. In fact many of the executives used to work at Google, including CTO Bret Taylor, COO Sheryl Sandberg, Advertising VP David Fischer and Communications VP Elliot Schrage, among others.
However as a search property Facebook has, in […]
- Giving Customers What They Want: A Search Behavior Analysis
Improving website performance is hard work, and SEO alone will not get the job done. The following analysis of human search behavior is the first step in developing a world-class website strategy. Top performing websites have most of these traits in common:
They understand in detail human search behavior.
They have strategically invested in information architecture.
They have […]
- Using PPC Ads To Fine Tune Your Organic Ad Copy
I’m a huge fan of treating Page Titles and Meta Descriptions as ad copy. Using language that speaks to a person’s motivation for shopping and buying will encourage the click through when your listing appears organically, as well as in a paid position.
Having a “testing” environment for organic ad copy has, until recently, been […]
- Yahoo’s CEO, Carol Bartz, Always Having To Defend Herself
Yahoo Chief Defends Her Site, Strategy from the Wall Street Journal is one of the latest in an ongoing pattern of Yahoo’s CEO constantly having to defend herself to investors, reports and users.
Carol Bartz became Yahoo’s CEO one year and five months ago. And if you read through the stories mentioning her name, you […]
- YouTube Hits All-Time Highs In May, ComScore Says
May was a banner month for YouTube. ComScore’s latest video rankings report shows that the site hit all-time highs with 14.6 billion videos viewed and more than 100 videos seen per user. Needless to say, YouTube remains the dominant player in video rankings, with 43% of online videos being seen on the site, according to […]
- Yahoo’s VP Of Search Consumer Products, Cornett Leaves
One of the most familiar faces left at Yahoo, that is until today, was Larry Cornett. Larry was the vice president of search consumer products at Yahoo. He has always lead Yahoo in their search advancements over the course of the past 4 years.
Today he announced he is moving on. […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Meet the father of Google Apps (who used to work at Microsoft), InfoWorld
- Where Gmail Is Going, Technology Review: Blogs
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Is Geofencing the Next Evolution for Location Apps? Location Labs Thinks So, Read/Write Web
- Google Flips "Kill Switch," Deletes And Downplays Botnet Demo Android Apps, Forbes
- Google Remotely Removes Android Apps, PC World
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdSense Facts & Fiction Part III: The stats pipeline, Inside AdSense
- Apple Tries to Break Online Advertising in Order to Save It, Ad Age
- Bridging the Gap Between Search and Display, Search Engine Watch
- One Ad vs. Many: Understanding Placement Targeted Ads on Google’s Content Network, Search Engine Watch
- Google releases 500 scans of Ancient Greek and Latin texts for research, Inside Google Books
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: June 25, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Google’s Semantic Web Push: Rich Snippets Usage Growing, Read/Write Web
- Another Google MayDay Tweak, June 23/24th?, Search Engine Roundtable
- GoogleBot Back In Business, Crawling & Crawling, Search Engine Roundtable
- Video: How Changes to Quality Score Affect You, WebProNews
- Want Google To Show Your Rich Snippets? Here Is How, Search Engine Roundtable
- Getting list members with the List API, Twitter Media
- 2010 Social Media Report, smrb.com
- Coke sees ‘phenomenal’ result from Twitter ads, FT.com
- Insights from Site Search in Google Analytics, Vertical Measures
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site: