Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 3, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google’s AdSense For Mobile (Apps) Becomes Gateway To Other Mobile Ad Networks
Google announced that its AdSense for Mobile Apps program would start allowing publishers and developers to work with third party ad mediators. The significance of this is that ad mediators provide access to other mobile ad networks to optimize fill, performance and revenue. The other benefit is that it avoids having to work with SDKs […]
- Google, US Patent Office Partner To Offer Bulk Data Downloads
From search to download. That’s what Google and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office have done with Wednesday’s announcement that bulk data on patents and trademarks are now available for free. Google is hosting hundreds of downloadable ZIP files at google.com/googlebooks/uspto.html; the patent office estimates that nearly ten terabytes of information is available.
Google and the […]
- Get Back To Where Your Listings Once Belonged
This is a story about how much can be lost by mis-categorizing your business.
We received a complaint from an Oregon art supply store that they were being incorrectly compared to an irrelevant business. The so-called competitor, called Hair’s Where It’s At, was also categorized as an art supply store on AmIVisible.
Our initial assumption was that […]
- Is This “Just” Another Arbitrage Opportunity?
I love organic search. The idea of building up from nothing to create something which is fairly sustainable and eventually has its own momentum behind it is an awesome feeling.
But you have to start somewhere. Adding value is a great thing to say, but the phrase is often meaningless. Even if you do […]
- Marin Gets D Round, Hearst Buys iCrossing
Playing out according to the rumor that surfaced a couple of months ago, media company Hearst has acquired marquee SEM firm iCrossing. The Wall Street Journal is reporting the acquisition price is about $325 million with performance and financial goals that, if achieved, “could push the purchase price above $400 million, according to other […]
- Google Maps For Blackberry Gets Bike Directions & More
The Google Mobile Blog announced that the Blackberry version of Google Maps has added bike directions, sharing features and new search features. The new version is Google Maps 4.2 for BlackBerry and is available today at m.google.com/maps.
To get biking direction, go to the new Google Maps app and click on travel by bicycle. […]
- Google Sued For Click Fraud By Seattle Locksmith
Mediapost reports that Google has been sued by 123 Lock & Key, a Seattle based locksmith company over click fraud. Mediapost said this is the first click fraud lawsuit against Google in five years. In fact, this is the first time Google was sued since settling a click fraud case in 2006 for […]
- Google Mobile Search Delivers App Downloads
For some time Google PC search has indexed links to iTunes enabling users to click through and directly review or download mobile apps. Now Google is doing something similar in mobile search by putting links to mobile apps and related information at the top of results.
Clicking the associated link (see below) takes users directly to […]
- Introducing The All-Important Quality Score
Throughout this column, the phrase “Quality Score” has popped up on different occasions. Understanding Quality Score is fundamental for successful paid search campaigns, but can be a difficult concept for beginners to understand. So the time has come to cover this topic so you can use Quality Score to your advantage and […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- New Wikipedia interface to nine more languages, Wikimedia blog
- Jamie Court: Googlopoly: How Google Is Becoming The New Microsoft, huffingtonpost.com
- Congratulations to our new CTO, Raymie Stata, Yodel Anecdotal
- How Google Uses You, Datamation.com
- Yahoo Chief Architect Raymie Stata Promoted To CTO, TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Citysearch—The Company, Not The Site—Changes Name To CityGrid Media, paidContent.org
- How To Move Your Company’s Google Street View Image, Search Engine Roundtable
- Three Best Tips for Local PPC Campaigns, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Update on the Yahoo! and Microsoft Search Alliance, Yahoo Publisher Network Blog
- Inform, engage and mobilize voters with YouTube and Google Campaign Toolkits, YouTube Blog
- Searching for the 2010 Stanley Cup, Official Google Blog
- Computing Climate Data from Around the Globe, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Facebook Does Job Searches (by way of SimplyHired), Read/Write Web
- New Look for Yahoo! News Search for Global Markets, Yahoo Search Blog
- Quintura Opens Up API, Launches Paid Site Search, Quintura blog
- Link Building Tool Interview with Eric Ward, Vertical Measures
SEO & SEM
- How many page title characters does Google index?, David Naylor
- It Isn’t Good Content Unless it’s SEO’d Content, Search Engine Guide
- June 2010 Google Webmaster Report, Search Engine Roundtable
- SEO Advice: Make a web page for each store location, Matt Cutts
- SEO for Ecommerce: Content Woes, SEO.com
- SEO Goals, KPI’s & Managing Client Expectations – Part 2, Vertical Leap Blog
- SEO Site Audits: Getting Started, SEOmoz
- Using Account Organization to Spend PPC Dollars More Effectively – Part 2, Search Engine Guide
- Yahoo Search Unstable?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Introducing OExchange: An open protocol to simplify sharing, Social Web Blog
- Twitter Annotations Testing Starts Next Week Through The Streaming API, TechCrunch
- Twitter Testing Friends ‘You Both Follow’ Feature, TechCrunch
- 6 Things Parenthood Taught Me About Social Media Marketing, Techipedia
- Fortune 1000 social media agency questions – the 53rd question, hugoguzman.com
- Lenders using Facebook, Twitter to gather borrower information, post-gazette.com
- Stay Updated on Facebook and Privacy, Facebook
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- TOPSEOs Continues Deceptive Practices
- Say Your Final Prayers, Black Hat SEO’s
- Can You Handle On Page Links?
- Why Becoming an Expert in Your Niche is So Important
- Is now time for Google to address their own problem?