SearchCap: The Day In Search, May 28, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: Google’s New Wave Of Ambition I’m in the Google Wave press conference, following a dizzying keynote — dizzying, at least, after a night of little sleep. As he did yesterday Google […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google’s New Wave Of Ambition
I’m in the Google Wave press conference, following a dizzying keynote — dizzying, at least, after a night of little sleep. As he did yesterday Google co-founder Sergey Brin joined the discussion and similarly apologized for arriving late.
Danny live blogged the keynote earlier this morning. He jokingly compared Wave to Lotus Notes. In some respects […]
- Live Blogging Google Wave
Back at the second keynote of Google I/O. We were promised something absolutely awesome and we got it. Steve Ballmer announcing Bing on stage. Oops, that’s D. This is about a new collaboration tool.
Oh, and I’m live blogging this, and I’ve had no sleep (see Bing above), so who knows where it’s all going. Oh […]
- Ballmer On Bing
Microsoft’s new search engine is no longer a secret, it is named Bing and we already have a few stories up now, including Microsoft’s Bing Vs Google: Head To Head Search Results and State Of Search: Google Will Stay Strong Despite Bing & Yahoo. We thought it would be useful to find quotes from […]
- Meet Bing, Microsoft’s New Search Engine
The speculation is over. Microsoft’s search engine officially has a new name, Bing. The name, along with some new features, opens the latest chapter in Microsoft’s quest to best Google in the search engine wars.
If you’re expecting Bing to be a Google-killer, reset your expectations. The most dramatic change, in my […]
- State Of Search: Google Will Stay Strong Despite Bing & Yahoo
Just because a product — toothpaste, laundry detergent, whatever — calls itself “new and improved” does not mean consumers will abandon a brand that they already use and like. Microsoft’s new search engine Bing faces this same challenge in taking on Google. Google’s not broken; people like it, and there’s no […]
- Microsoft’s Bing Vs Google: Head To Head Search Results
Let’s just get it out of the way: no, Bing is not a “Google Killer.” It’s also safe to say that Microsoft doesn’t see it that way either. My understanding of what Microsoft believes it has in Bing is a much more competitive product than Live Search. I entirely agree.
Over the course of the next […]
- SMX Advanced – 10 Tickets Left
If you’ve been waiting to register for SMX Advanced, now is the time. As of this morning, there were 10 tickets left. Register now online or call (877) 242-5242 to secure your spot.
Once the tickets are sold, we’ll create a waiting list and contact people on that list if/when spots become available.
If you […]
- Yahoo Search Adds Team Shortcuts & Google Adds Tennis One Box
Not do be outdone by Live Search adding sports scores, both Yahoo and Google added some of their own. Keep in mind, both Google and Yahoo have had sports scores in the search results, but both have made additions to theirs.
Yahoo has added a way to search for your favorite sports team. For […]
- Does Including A Physical Address On Your Website Help Rankings?
As businesses become more virtual in organization and structure, and more workers become digital nomads, the question of whether having a physical, real-world address on your website will have any effect on your rankings becomes more important. In this article I’ll take a look how a real world address can have some impact on your […]
- Why Isn’t There More “Internal Syndication” of Video Content?
Let’s face it – unless you are YouTube or Hulu, you are looking for ways to build audience and streams to capture more in-stream advertising dollars. Nowhere is this truer than in the news market where CNN, the leading online news site, has a 1.2% market share in streams (Nielsen), and is selling-out 100% of […]
- Sergey Brin On Newspapers, Breaking “Page’s Law” & Bing As Name Of Microsoft’s New Search Engine
Google cofounder Sergey Brin turned up at a session for the press at the Google I/O event today and took questions on Google’s relations with newspapers, cited hopes of breaking “Page’s Law” of software sluggishness and even one about what he thought about the expected name of Microsoft’s new search engine, Bing. Below, a summary […]
- Bartz Talks About MSFT Deal, Google & More At D7 Conference
If Microsoft brings “boatloads of money and the right technology,” Yahoo would be willing to strike a long-rumored search deal. So said Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz at the D7 Conference today, where All Things Digital’s Kara Swisher interviewed her on stage. Bartz followed up that statement by saying Microsoft would need “biiiig boatloads of money” […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google adds Reader subscription button to Feedburner emails, blog.arhg.net
- Google Reader Bundles Help SMB Owners Share Information, smallbiztrends.com
- Google Reader widget brings RSS to the desktop, news.cnet.com
- Google Tests Scripting Feature for Online Apps, PC World
- Using Art in Google Docs, New York Times
- Yahoo CEO Bartz: “We Are Not a Search Company”, gigaom.com
- AOL Spin-Off Approved Last Night By Time Warner Board: Here’s the Inside Details (Not in the Press Release), AllThingsD by Kara Swisher
- Yahoo’s Schneider Sees Light Around Local, Wall Street Journal
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7 Features Virtual Earth, Virtual Earth, An Evangelist’s Blog
- Google Maps: Updated Quality Guidelines for Business Listing, Mike Blumenthal
- Google: Expect 18 Android Phones by Year’s End, New York Times
- Link Development Tips and Tricks – SEM Synergy Extras, BruceClay.com
- Blog commenting is not an SEO technique, BlogStorm
- To Follow or to Nofollow…, SEO.com
- What are your views on PageRank sculpting?, YouTube
Paid Search & Contextual
- 6 tactics for maximing your AdWords investment, Inside AdWords
- Pulling PPC Levers : Custom Landing Pages, TechLINKS
- Google Adds Impression Share Columns to AdWords API, Search Engine Roundtable
- Improve PPC Performance with Efficient Bid Management, PPC Hero
- Most SEMs Prefer Google’s New U.S. AdWords Trademark Policy, Search Engine Roundtable
- What’s The Real Value of Brand PPC?, Search Engine Journal
- Letter Imperfect: Common Misspelled Searches, buzz.yahoo.com
- Dafforn First to Discover Google Changes Profile Hop from 302 to 301, SEO Speedwagon
- Wolfram|Alpha Content Development, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Search engineer stories, Official Google Blog
- Andrew Goodman: a Search Intellectual’s Path, AIM Clear Blog
SEO & SEM
- Are you content with your content? (SEM 101), Live Search Webmaster Center Blog
- Keyword Research – The Problem Is You, The SEO Scoop
- Four Implications of Universal Search for Small Business SEO, blog.hubspot.com
- Google Fixes Webmaster Tools Remove URL & Notification Subscriptions, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google May 2009 Toolbar PageRank Update, Search Engine Roundtable
- Grey hat SEO: making your subscriber-only content visible to Google, Econsultancy
- Search Demographics: Understanding Keword Search Query Intent, SEO Book
- Should You Fear Changing Your Best SEO Performing Web Page?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Targeting one keyword per page–controversial?, Search Engine Guide
- Microsoft launches celebrity Twitter aggregator Celebrifeed, Ars Technica
- Tweetbucks Brings Affiliate Fees To Twitter Users. Is That A Good Thing?, TechCrunch
- Twitter to Introduce Location-Based Information into each Tweet, The Praized Blog
- Omniture Releases Analytics Tools for Facebook, Inside Facebook
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- How to build and fortify your local presence in 4 simple steps
- Is Your CAPTCHA Killing Your Business?
- 33 Reasons to Use Twitter – A Guide to Finding Value in the Service!
- Lawyers, Guns, and Twitter – Who Owns Your Twitter Account
- Awkward Social Media Relationships: Inevitable?
- Free Links: The Three Principles
- 10 Goals For Link Building Campaigns: Moving Beyond “Get More Links”
- Secure Your WordPress Blog in 7 Easy Steps
- 10 Ways to Diagnose a Google Penalty
New on Search Engine Land